: Recently Purchased 95 Fleetwood, Where To Start?

ROLLIE BRUNER
04-06-05, 02:01 AM
Love my new 95 FLEETWOOD! Well new to me. I have read that my engne is the same engine that came in s.s. impala 95 & 96 models. What modifications are recommended to maximize performance? Without lowering fuel economy or lowering value of my car.

danbuc
04-06-05, 03:09 AM
Congrats on the new car. I've always wanted a Fleetwood with the 350 in it. The question you asked abotu performance is kind of vague. There's millions of different parts available for that engine. How much performance are you looking for exactly. High levels of performance while retaining good fuel economy, is a little more tricky, than just making the car outrageously powerful. ANything's possible, you just have to decide how far you want to go. The first person I would speak to, would be Katshot. His "FTS" is fast, but still very reliable. I'm not sure what the gas mileage is, but it's probably not too bad. He didn't go completely insane with it (Like I would have :sneaky: ), but it's still runs pretty damn fast. Good Luck with the car, let us know what you decide to do.

Oh, you might want to check out some of the other forums for cars with the LT1. Stuuf like early 90's Camaros, Firebirds, Corvettes,..ect. You can get a better idea of what is available, and what can be done with that engine. Good Luck. :thumbsup:

edit: Crap, I forgot all about the 5.7 litre forum we've got here. It's not so much abtou performance, as it is maintenence and such. You should definitely check it out, if you haven't already.

I~LUV~Caddys8792
04-06-05, 10:51 PM
well i remember hearing from a guy i know who knows everything about the LT1 and LS1 350s that theres a kit called the LT4 Conversion kit for the LT1, it boosts your hp to around 425 and it costs around $2400, and some bigger company makes a supercharger for the LT1 which adds half of what you already have to make it 390hp and it costs around $3000 or you can do them both and get 640hp which would cost you around $5500, but with 640hp you could run in the 12's

ocjmakaveli
04-07-05, 03:42 AM
Love my new 95 FLEETWOOD! Well new to me. I have read that my engne is the same engine that came in s.s. impala 95 & 96 models. What modifications are recommended to maximize performance? Without lowering fuel economy or lowering value of my car.

Do as many of these as you can afford the best guide ever http://impalassforum.com/noncgi/ultimatebb.php?ubb=get_topic;f=6;t=000436#000000

check it out really cool site all of them are helpful to the ride but I highly recommend leaving the air shock system in tact and just get a hotchkis sway bar to have less sway around corners actually this is problem the first mod you should do because the sway on the stock caddy is horrible.

Katshot
04-07-05, 08:52 AM
Thanks for the props Danbuc!
Rollie Bruner,
As was already mentioned here, the first thing you need to do is determine just how crazy you intend to go with your car. If you intend to "maybe" go for maximum performance, you might want to pick mods that can be added on to so you don't waste as much money with mods that will need to be replaced over and over.
My car was a project to show what Cadillac "could've" or "should've" done with the Fleetwood. I specifically tried to make mods that were subtle and used as many factory parts as possible to maintain a "factory" look to the car The idea was to do to the Fleetwood, what Cadillac did to the Seville when they made the STS. I'm happy with the outcome, and I feel I've shown that the car could easily have been made into a sport sedan, and that it WOULD generate some enthusiatic responses from the general public when viewed, and driven. I wish I'd done a console install to finish off the "Touring Sedan" package, but at this point, I'm seriously over with this project and ready to move on.
It makes a great daily-driver, gets about 15-16mpg around town, 22-23mpg on the highway, and does a 14.5 second 1/4 mile in full street trim (full tank of normal pump gas and nothing removed for weight savings). I've had it up to a little over 140mph and it is still very stable at that speed and manages to handle quite well on the back roads. You can check out my site at Cardomain for pictures etc. and I'm always happy to answer questions about my mods and anything you might want to do to YOUR car. It's a great car to play with and is certainly a rare and classic car too.

Kevin Donovan
'95 Cadillac FTS
(Click the link to see my car)
http://members.cardomain.com/katshot

HotRodSaint
04-07-05, 11:25 AM
What modifications are recommended to maximize performance? Without lowering fuel economy or lowering value of my car.

First thing I'd do is make it breath better with an intake and exhuast. Many people would be happy with the small transformation that provides.

http://memimage.cardomain.net/member_images/1/web/289000-289999/289674_71_full.jpg
More Pic's and Specís Here. (http://www.cardomain.com/id/hotrodsaint)

N0DIH
04-07-05, 02:31 PM
Read carefully the forums, do the best you can to evaluate what works and what doesn't. Many items out there (air foils, etc) are just something to waste $$ on. I would talk to people who have made mods and see what really works.

Check out http://www.ws6.com/mycar.htm.
This guy has done some before/after dyno runs to show power improvements/losses from items that he has put on his T/A LT1. Good info there.

So far I have a 94 V4P (aka, comes with stiffer shifting trans and 3.42 gears factory) and I get 16.5-19.5 back and forth to work, and around 22-23 for what little highway trips that I have been able to take (100 miles at a time at best). Seems to get closer to 20 when I slow down to 55-60 instead fo 65 on the back roads. And even in shorter trips running 65 instead of 75 gets more consistently 22.5 mpg.

I have done the throttle body coolant bypass and recently a home brew Cold Air Intake with PVC pipe and reoriented the airbox and drilled it with 3 additional 1.5in holes. She howls at WOT, but pulls great!

Mileage is a big concern for me, at $2.329 a gallon for 87 octane and 100+ miles a day to get to work and back, it is a BIG deal to me. (No, I won't sacrifice my 3.42's!!!)

Also a little tidbit here: http://www.carcraft.com/techarticles/91818/index2.html Typical Car Craft, not enough info to evaluate on.... But it is a solid 300 hp out of an LT1.

My only mods in the future will likely be LT1 Aluminum heads. Not for flow, as they are rumored to be less than the iron heads, but they are lighter and that is the name of the game for a heavy lead sled like a Fleetwood!

HotRodSaint
04-07-05, 06:54 PM
...but they are lighter and that is the name of the game for a heavy lead sled like a Fleetwood!

Maybe I should remove my air compressor, since I don't use it. :hmm:

That's actually the best performance mod you can make that will also save you gas. Take out the extra weight. The lighter the better. :thumbsup:

But I'd replace the lost weight with safety mods so it'd be a draw. :yup:

Anyone else think that a leapord skin covered roll-cage would look cool? ;)

http://memimage.cardomain.net/member_images/1/web/289000-289999/289674_71_full.jpg
More Pic's and Specís Here. (http://www.cardomain.com/id/hotrodsaint)

N0DIH
04-08-05, 12:29 AM
That is what I have been thinking. Edit off the AIR pump, go Bilsteins and ditch the compressor. And then keep looking for anything else that doesn't need to be there and ditch it.

It isn't much weight, but it is coming from the right end of the car. If I can figure out where to put it, I will relocate the battery to the trunk. I did that on my 80 T/A and my 85 Cutlass and that was the single most best thing I have ever done on those cars. EVERYTHING was much improved, from launch to handling to overall ride. The car was much more balanced and took front bumps much nicer. As well as significantly much harder to break rubber when you punch it. You could get into the gas harder before traction loss. And I didn't have posi on the Cutlass and had a 350 Olds with a 204/214 cam (which was too big for that low of compression I might add) It pulled great at 100+ mph though!