: Where do I get a replacement bumper cheap

kmhebert
04-05-05, 10:56 PM
Hi everyone, I am looking for a new rear bumper for my 88 Brougham. This is what it looks like now:

http://www.kevinhebert.com/brougham_bumper.jpg

Pretty depressing huh? Anyway, I am not sure if I should just call different junkyards or is there a way to get a brand new one? How much do you think it would cost? Is it easy to install? Any advice you might have is very much appreciated, thanks!

The Ape Man
04-05-05, 11:40 PM
Easy bumper to change. Pull the tail light lenses (2X7mm) out and twist out the bulb sockets from the lense housings. Remove the fiber optic cable ends. This stuff will stay with the car. You can then remove the (8) 13 mm nuts which hold the bumper to the bumper shocks. Leave 2 top nuts on by a couple of threads. Take note where any shims are before you do this. You might need to reuse them to get the fit right. You can now get out from under the car and remove the 2 nuts by hand while supporting the weight of the bumper. Now just pull it straight back. Toss to the side and replace. Be careful not to tighten the tail light lens chrome surrounds. The tail light tabs where the screws go are only plastic and will break. One person in good condition can do this job. Good luck fiinding one. They all seem to rust in the same spot.

90Brougham350
04-06-05, 12:02 AM
If you don't mind paying for shipping, www.cadillacking.com should have more than enough in the way of a selection. Then again, local yards probably have several as well. If you could find one that isn't rusted in the usual spot, you might want to clean the backside up real nice and put some rustoleum or something on there, just an idea.

Brian

kmhebert
04-07-05, 12:56 PM
Thanks for the advice. I am still looking for a bumper, is there possibly an aftermarket one that might rust less?

The Ape Man
04-07-05, 01:17 PM
Oh I forgot. Sometimes the nuts are welded onto the studs to avoid theft. That was common practice in the big city.