: 425whp LS6

GSRswapandslow
09-10-13, 11:08 AM
what would it take for a daily driveable, all motor, 93 octane, LS6 CTS-V to get to 425whp? Or at lease around that number.

HAMSTAR
09-10-13, 12:08 PM
CAI, headers, heads and medium/big cam should get you there.

rand49er
09-10-13, 01:17 PM
^^^ Yeah that plus a good tune.

AAIIIC
09-10-13, 02:36 PM
Yup. That's pretty much what my combo made - ported 243 heads, moderate EPS cam, FAST 92 intake, Kooks w/cats, tune. I think it was 423rwhp.

GSRswapandslow
09-10-13, 06:08 PM
good deal....I just need a little more out of the car, it's pretty slow as is

HAMSTAR
09-10-13, 06:32 PM
good deal....I just need a little more out of the car, it's pretty slow as is

Do you have a budget to work with? Can you do it all at once, or little at a time?

GSRswapandslow
09-10-13, 07:28 PM
no real budget, but also not going to do it ALL at once....too much other stuff going on to put all my eggs in one basket. I have a business trip to San Diego at the end of october, I'm hoping I can drop the car off with a buddy and it be done when I get home

Naf
09-11-13, 02:28 AM
I had 425 rwhp with a GT11 cam and ported heads, 1 3/4 primaries, Corsa exhaust, CAI, 1.7 Yella terra rockers, Bosche 42# injectors, and FAST 90 with a Ported LS2 TB.

Very possible for decent idle and lots of power. If you want a stock Idle, then i would look for cams with less than 230 durations, and decent lifts, somewhere between 550-600. Anything more and you will have idle issues. Dont go cheap and get the ford injectors, they have a very small head and the spray pattern is very narrow. You need a wide head and wide spray pattern to take advantage of your potential power

Also when it comes to tuning, DONT let the tuner have the MAF start at 300rpm, let him adjust the MAF to 3000-3500rpm and adjust the VE below this so you have 14.4-15.0 AFR. It will help with low rpm and light throttle bucking.

GSRswapandslow
09-11-13, 08:23 AM
i'd like a cam that lopes pretty hard...but is still driveable. My gf will be driving the car on occasion, and we'll also occasionally be in traffic. Will a shelf cam work, or is this more a proposition of going with a custom grind? Tick Performance is semi-local...and I'm considering having them do the cam install if I don't have the time...so a custom grind from them could be arranged.

HAMSTAR
09-11-13, 09:14 AM
i'd like a cam that lopes pretty hard...but is still driveable. My gf will be driving the car on occasion, and we'll also occasionally be in traffic. Will a shelf cam work, or is this more a proposition of going with a custom grind? Tick Performance is semi-local...and I'm considering having them do the cam install if I don't have the time...so a custom grind from them could be arranged.

If you want it to lope pretty hard, the SNS Stage 2 is right down your alley. I have a similar cam and drive it every day in the city. Martin is great to deal with, too, and will help you plan your whole build.

GSRswapandslow
09-11-13, 09:29 AM
wow...that actually sounds EXACTLY like what I want.. I might just have to take some time to drive over there this weekend!

HAMSTAR
09-11-13, 09:50 AM
imho, you are very lucky to be so close to them.

GSRswapandslow
09-11-13, 10:01 AM
Indeed...I've been there before....an ex of mine's brother in law knew the guys there and PCM really well, when they shared a shop. He's got a procharged SS and his wife has a TBSS and they got all their work done there and always recommended him....I've lost contact with them now, but might give a call to have him meet me up there anyways. My only issue is tuning....two of my best friends are expecting to tune my car, at they're both VERY good tuners....but at the same time, Tick tunes THEIR cams....so, not sure which route to take

kw3kw
09-11-13, 10:21 AM
I went the CAI, Maggie, catback route.
Results 474rwhp, 431tq on a 224XLC Chassis Dyno with Eddy Current Load Control
John R.

Naf
09-11-13, 11:03 AM
U want a lopie cam for ur gf to drive?

Boy u crazy!!!

GSRswapandslow
09-11-13, 11:21 AM
I went the CAI, Maggie, catback route.
Results 474rwhp, 431tq on a 224XLC Chassis Dyno with Eddy Current Load Control
John R.

I can't afford the maggie at this point...ultimately, i'd like to maybe go with a D1SC

----------

U want a lopie cam for ur gf to drive?

Boy u crazy!!!

she can handle a 850whp supra with 272's and a triple disk....lol

PISNUOFF
09-11-13, 12:15 PM
An 850 rwHp Supra will NEVER get the looks that a loping Cadillac gets. It's total paparazzi.

HAMSTAR
09-11-13, 12:35 PM
I can't afford the maggie at this point...ultimately, i'd like to maybe go with a D1SC

----------

she can handle a 850whp supra with 272's and a triple disk....lol

put a ring on it

GSRswapandslow
09-11-13, 12:47 PM
put a ring on it

i'm trying to figure out how to bring her with me to Coranado Island in October, for Validation week for the pharma guys, and I'm asking then.........

FoD
09-11-13, 02:10 PM
Do it at the Del Coranado Hotel. She'll remember that forever!...major points!

GSRswapandslow
09-11-13, 02:51 PM
I'm already set up at the Marriott....my boss is from San Diego... he said try sunset cliffs

LasCruces-V
09-11-13, 11:50 PM
I have the ls6 with stage ll.5 patriot heads, ported tb, tsp 232/234 .595 .598 112 cam, kooks headers, cai, 25% under drive pully, monster stage ll clutch with the 18 lb lightweight flywheel ( mention because of rotating mass reduction) tuned by Jason at Texas Speed car made 440 rwhp and 445 ft torque all motor and 540 rwhp 540 ft torque on the bottle. I thought with all the crap the car has 440 was low.... But he says its where it should be..... like everyone always says no replacement for displacement.

----------

The wife has a 2010 camaro ss 6 speed I just finished. Cai, 235/239 .639/.623 111 lsa cam, headers, 25% under drive pully, with 125 of the giggle gas. She drives it fine. Cam surge idle bucking and all. Who says hot chick's can't drive! :worship:

HAMSTAR
09-12-13, 06:55 AM
^ impressive ! Got a dyno sheet? How is it HP is not higher than torque? Did you decrease your rev limiter?

LasCruces-V
09-12-13, 08:36 AM
Limiter is set at 6500 I believe

http://i1282.photobucket.com/albums/a533/jtriste636/20130622_163025_zps65f902e7.jpg

HAMSTAR
09-12-13, 12:26 PM
I don't know how to read dyno sheets on nitrous. Are the peaks and curves the same? If so, it looks like you should increase your rev limiter to 7K rpm and dyno it to there. The bottom end can take it.

Naf
09-13-13, 05:25 AM
He has plenty of torque right off the line. And the hp grows perfectly...

Nice build, must go through tires like crazy...

If you want more punch slice off the weight. Cf fenders, seats, trunk lid and hood...

LasCruces-V
09-13-13, 05:42 AM
He has plenty of torque right off the line. And the hp grows perfectly...

Nice build, must go through tires like crazy...

If you want more punch slice off the weight. Cf fenders, seats, trunk lid and hood...

Thank you. Yeah I run nitto nt05 305/45s. burn through those and broken axles like crazy!

GSRswapandslow
10-12-13, 08:59 PM
well....went for a baseline today on one of my buddie's dynos......car put down 348/340 on his dynojet. I'm going in a few weeks and dyno'ing on another buddies when both of them get together to tune my car. But i guess the numbers are decent for a stock car with JUST new mufflers..........no other power modifications have been done to the car

CTSVLSX
10-13-13, 07:27 PM
Everything feels slow to me unless it's 1000+ RWHP and 3000lbs or less.
400 whp on almost 4k lbs car is perfect for roaming around in my opinion.
I'd prefer torque though (supercharger, headers, cam, intake, set up for torque). Nothing like having 400lb rw torque at less than 2k rpm so you can zoom away without revving the engine on the street.
Modified Ford power stroke (or any diesel for that matter) with 60 psi 1000+lb torque is a blast to drive on the street, more than just about any car (except maybe the GT-R) imo.
LS6 should be able to get 400 rwhp N/A, have a little torque loss though , so depending on your driving style you may or may not like it.
Of course doing a big cam and all that will make it a pain in the #@$@ to drive at 5-10 mph in stop and go traffic.

EnV
10-14-13, 12:39 PM
My 231/239 .598 .598 cam is cake to drive in traffic compared to my old cammed evo.

That_One_Guy
10-20-13, 11:54 PM
You know.... I've been on the fence last 6 or so months.... I have been debating between a LS6 CTS-V or a 2006-2007 BMW M5.... I really like the whole 500hp thing that the M5 has but it is also about 10,000 dollars more.... I can find ls6 cts-v's for 14k all day, every day. Also The maintenance on an M5 scares me and performance parts are extremely expensive. I'm thinking I could get the cts-v and get as much power out of it as I would a bmw m5. What do you guys think? Performance parts are soo much cheaper and American cars are so much easier to work on. I am looking for 450+hp. I'm not worried about how lopey the cam is... As EnV said.... the lope on my 500hp evo with hks 280's was pretty bad but controllable. I traded in my evo for a gmc sierra denali... gas was too espensive so i traded that in for a g37s... but I want my 4 doors back. Any suggestions??? I do however have a budget.... I can throw down 2,500 off the bat but can save a little more after that and start spending more. I miss having a fast car and I'm not about to mod this 2 door knowing I need a 4 door. I can do all my own work but I cant tune... I'm not worried about CA emissions. Sorry to hijack thread but help a brotha out lol

RyRidesMotoX
10-21-13, 08:06 PM
Where are you at in California? I'd get a V over an M3 for sure. If you want to mod something and your choice is a Bimmer over anything with an LS in it... I would worry about your mental state. Even if you use brand new top shelf parts for the LS6/2 in the first gens, you will pay like half what it costs to get power over a BMW. Plus enough LS parts are interchangeable that its easy to figure out what will swap, what can be used, what must be new.

I'm already set up at the Marriott....my boss is from San Diego... he said try sunset cliffs

Look up Horn Blower cruises... Dinner, dancing, alcohol... What could possibly go wrong. Its basically a float around San Diego Harbor. I did it once with my fiancee and she loved it

thebigjimsho
10-22-13, 12:13 AM
You know.... I've been on the fence last 6 or so months.... I have been debating between a LS6 CTS-V or a 2006-2007 BMW M5.... I really like the whole 500hp thing that the M5 has but it is also about 10,000 dollars more.... I can find ls6 cts-v's for 14k all day, every day. Also The maintenance on an M5 scares me and performance parts are extremely expensive. I'm thinking I could get the cts-v and get as much power out of it as I would a bmw m5. What do you guys think? Performance parts are soo much cheaper and American cars are so much easier to work on. I am looking for 450+hp. I'm not worried about how lopey the cam is... As EnV said.... the lope on my 500hp evo with hks 280's was pretty bad but controllable. I traded in my evo for a gmc sierra denali... gas was too espensive so i traded that in for a g37s... but I want my 4 doors back. Any suggestions??? I do however have a budget.... I can throw down 2,500 off the bat but can save a little more after that and start spending more. I miss having a fast car and I'm not about to mod this 2 door knowing I need a 4 door. I can do all my own work but I cant tune... I'm not worried about CA emissions. Sorry to hijack thread but help a brotha out lol

The V is infinitely more moddable...and reliable. If you are thinking of cost, AT ALL, go V...

StretchASU
10-22-13, 08:15 AM
Coming from a former M owner...if you like to mod, stick with the V. I will second and third what everyone else has said.

That_One_Guy
10-22-13, 03:34 PM
Thanks for the input. I think "for now" I've made my decision.

EnV
10-24-13, 10:42 AM
Thanks for the input. I think "for now" I've made my decision.

I'll let you know, if you liked the power of the Evo, the V won't quite do it for you unless you get into the 600whp range. I miss the FI, although the V is much more comfortable in everyday driving.

That_One_Guy
10-29-13, 02:52 AM
Was gonna try to wait until birthday in february but waiting is getting hard. I want 500hp (seems to be a good benchmark).... I know I wont be getting any 1.60 60 footer's anymore like I did in my EVO lol. I'm a huge fan of FI. I've owned several Turbo cars.. I've always wanted supercharged vehicle.... I love the rubber band sound... Wish they werent so expensive.. I can piece together a turbo kit for 2-3 thousand less than I can buying a supercharger.

RyRidesMotoX
10-29-13, 04:22 PM
Yea but you won't have that look from people when they hear a blower spinning like a banshee.

That_One_Guy
10-30-13, 09:59 PM
Yea but you won't have that look from people when they hear a blower spinning like a banshee.

Very true. Found a dealer about 15 minutes away that is selling an 05' for 14,500... Has a lot of miles 110,00... But I mean... thats only 12k more than my current car has lol. Every single car I've ever had I've gotten rid of at 100,000 miles so this is gonna be new for me. my current vehicle is at 98,000.

----------

Is the v1 more like a camaro or a corvette?

RyRidesMotoX
10-30-13, 10:05 PM
Is not like either one in my opinion. Its pretty well balanced so in that aspect it's like a Vette but it weighs ALOT so in that aspect it's like the USS Nimitz. I think this thing handles really well for a car this big. I took it to a real tight track and was able to keep up with smaller better handling cars even though I was looking out the side windows to see where I was going half the time

sssnake
10-31-13, 09:44 AM
I took it to a real tight track and was able to keep up with smaller better handling cars even though I was looking out the side windows to see where I was going half the time

I am glad to hear someone else say this. Hard left handers suck because of where the a pillar sits. I have tried moving the seat up and back with only slight improvement. When on a narrow two lane in the mountains it is definitely a pucker inducing exercise.

RyRidesMotoX
10-31-13, 11:31 AM
I am glad to hear someone else say this. Hard left handers suck because of where the a pillar sits. I have tried moving the seat up and back with only slight improvement. When on a narrow two lane in the mountains it is definitely a pucker inducing exercise.

What I meant was... Because I was pushing pretty hard, and I was on stock Michelins, and because it was wet... I was sliding that bitch like a S15 in a formula D competition.

sssnake
11-01-13, 01:49 PM
:)

Just my own pet peeve then. I nearly end up with whiplash on some of the Mexican roads I drive.

Spkey
11-01-13, 01:55 PM
Get the V. BMW is very expensive to maintain and parts are expensive. I have a V coupe with mods and it is awesome. Can't go wrong with a Cadillac.