: Daytime Running Lights

AllenPacla
04-05-05, 12:07 PM
After I got a taste of HID when installed an auxillay low beam HID foglights, my fingers are itching to go further and install a retrofit HID kit for the low beam of the Catera. With kits from sites like Ultrabright lights, do I need to worry about the DRL of the Catera getting in the way, or would the HID kit render the DRL of the Catera unusable. I know that i might get some problem with illegal beam pattern if I don't replace the reflector, but I was told by one of them sales persons that 95% of the beam pattern of the halogen is retained by their HID bulbs, and I was adviced to get the 5300K kits just to avoid getting too much attention from cops around the city. Is this a valid observation or just a sales pitch. For those of you who have done this kind of upgrade, please let me hear your voices. Thanks

stevehogan
04-05-05, 12:54 PM
As I recall, the DRL uses the high beam lamps and thus shouldn't be an issue. I don't have my manuals handy, but JefferyG can verify this.

AllenPacla
04-05-05, 01:47 PM
I know that the high beams serves as DRL, but then there is this automatic function that when the sensor senses a diminishing light, then it switches into the low beam. I am just wondering if this will get affected. I am thinking that since the kits that are available connects to the terminal from the OEM headlight switch, there shouldn't be a problem, but then I might be wrong.

stevehogan
04-05-05, 06:30 PM
You are correct - everything should be fine