: How do you properly use pellets? Northstar

04-05-05, 08:19 AM
I have pressure building up in overflow tank and coolant is coming out of overflow hose like a faucet. I'm afraid it may be the dreaded head gasket problem. it's 97 Eldorado. How do I properly install the pellets. Can I use the one's O'reilly sells or should I get them from Cadillac? Feedback will be greatly appreciated.
Worried sick in tornado alley, Iowa

04-05-05, 11:57 AM
You may be beyond pellets.

Use the BarsLeaks brand pellets or the powdered golden seal or get the GM coolant supplement pellets. Disconnect the radiator hose, install the supplement into the hose and reconnect the hose. Do NOT install the supplement into the surge tank.

http://www.barsproducts.com/origin.html Use HDC or G12BP...or the GM coolant supplement pellets.

If you search the archives using "coolant supplement" there is a ton of previous info.

04-05-05, 12:20 PM
Bbob, I've got coolant seeping past the crossover gaskets. It's not bad, but over a long period of time, the coolant level starts to drop. Haven't had any problems, but I figured maybe it would be good to add the suppliment, since my dealer refuses too. I went to walmart, and picked up to small tubes of the Bars Leak Gold Seal powder stuff. Is this what I'm supposed to use? I now that they have it in different form like pellets and stuff. I just want to make sure that the powder is okay to use. Also, if it is okay, should I use one tube or two. They aren't very big. Thanks.

edit: Looking at their page now, the two that I got are the G12BP. The litle tubes of powder.

04-05-05, 12:59 PM
Use two tubes of the powder. They are the same as the pellets, just in a powdered form.

04-05-05, 09:38 PM
Cool, thanks Ranger. I just wanted to make sure. I'll put it in tomorrow moring.