: I need some opinion

AllenPacla
04-05-05, 04:09 AM
I have encountered a product called Max Volt Power, it stablizes the voltage coming from the battery. And it claims that it will increase the torque, throttle response and fuel efficiency of the car and it will work with the Catera. Can this be true? Steve....Jeff are you guys reading? What do you think?

stevehogan
04-05-05, 05:03 AM
Max Volt Power is a crock. The claims are totally fraudulent. What they provide are additional ground cables to supplement those running from the battery to the block. The idea is that heavier cables are better cables and that is true as far as that goes. However, tjhere is no relationship between battery voltage and horsepower, other than if the voltage is too low, the car won't start and the ignition system wont work. I'm surprised that they don't claim that this "system" cures baldness and enhances male sexual performance. Their marketing guys missed those two claims somehow.

AllenPacla
04-05-05, 11:19 AM
The reason this got my attention is not because of the horse power that they claim it affects, but because of the voltage of the Catera not consistently at 12 volts specially at night when i have almost all of the accessories on. It doesn't go below 10 volts as far as i remember, but I am worried that this might pose a problem somehow. Anything I can do to tackle this problem? thanks again Steve.

stevehogan
04-05-05, 12:52 PM
Well it shouldn't drop below 12 volts by much if at all. Typically the alternator is set to deliver around 14 volts (thus charging the battery). I'm on the road right now and don't have access to my specs and manuals, but if your lights are not dimming art idle, you don't have a problem. If the lights are dimming and the idle speed is still OK, and the battery is not too tired, and you have made sure that the battery cables are tight and not corroded, I would have the alternator and voltage regulator checked out. You MIGHT have a bad diode in the alternator causing it to be low on output. I emphasize thge MIGHT. I usually look for the simple stuff, like loose and/or corroded connections first.

AllenPacla
04-05-05, 01:53 PM
I read from somewhere that bad grounding can cause something like this. That is why many would suggest to get the grounding properly wired or rewired to solve some of the problems related to this drop in voltage. I don't know how true is this and if ever it is, how is a rewired grounding accomplished? Is it a very tedious process? Hey Steve, don't tell me you're on the road and driving while reading all these posts and then answering some:tisk: . Take care pal

stevehogan
04-05-05, 09:17 PM
Certainly a bad ground in the charging or main battery circuits would cause the symptoms described (hence my comments about the loose or corroded battery cables). Even so, my philosophy is to restore the system and wiring to factory specs before I consider adding on some sort of band-aid. Certainly there are always situations where the factory design is deficient (such as our beloved Catera oil cooler). However electrical systems in cars are well understood and rarely have design issues of this type.

And no, I'm not driving and emailing at the same time. :histeric:But it's not impossible. I have done that in the past (on a very lightlly-loaded interstate in Florida). It is, however, not for amateurs :eek: