: '95 air level system

Imprl59
04-04-05, 11:38 PM
I replaced the rear air shocks on my '95 Fleetwood back in November when I got it. Now the compressor has gone out. Runs very slow and blows the fuse. I don't wan't to put more money in to this accessory that I don't want.

So can I simply go get a set of TRW springs and replace the existing rear springs? Can i keep the new air shocks and run them minus the air?

Steve B.

BluEyes
04-05-05, 01:50 AM
not 100% sure about the newer cars, but I know on the older Caddies, you can just order the springs for a car without the air leveler. The shocks should work fine with no air. The older system had a regular shock with an air cylinder around it, probably the same on the newer cars as well. But on a 10 year old car I might go ahead and get new shocks as well.

Katshot
04-05-05, 08:43 AM
You can use the shocks without air if you want. A set of progressive rear coil springs should do the trick for you.

FASSTWOOD
04-05-05, 10:57 AM
Did you buy after market shocks or factory shocks if you bought aftermarket shocks like monroe or gabriel, they sell air line kit that uses sort of like a tire valve to fill up the shocks.... If not then maybe goin with a 95 caprice for a rear spring application might be the way to go...

scurling
04-05-05, 07:48 PM
My thoughs were also, what did you replace them with? Factory, Gabriel, Monroe,...?

The only real difference is the type of air supply tube connector. You can always use the shocks you installed, and install a manual air valve to replace the bad compressor. You can get the air line kit at any parts store that sells shocks. You would then manually add air to the system on an as-needed basis. That way you could keep the shocks you installed and the benefits of the system, besides the fact that it would now be manual. If you installed the factory shocks last November, you could just keep the shocks and original connections. Relocated the supply air line to whereever you install the manual valve. If you used aftermarket shocks you probably installed a "T" fitting, and a manual valve should have been included with the air line kit.

Hope this helps.

A lot of guys have replaced their original shocks with coil-overs, and/or the rear springs. It all depends on what type of ride you want to end up with.

Imprl59
04-05-05, 09:50 PM
Thanx for the suggestions. I stopped and got an air valve fitting tonignt and put it on then filled the shocks with air to get them up where I wanted it. So far it is still up even after adding $50 worth of unleaded (ouch). Hopefully I won't have to add air very often and this solution will save me the cost of the new springs. Thanx again.

Steve B.

ocjmakaveli
04-05-05, 11:58 PM
it goes down about 20 psi for every week driven basically but a weeks driving for me is only about 150 miles.