: Air filter

inconnu
04-04-05, 08:39 PM
Today i cleaned the air filter and there was a lot of leafs in that and later i used the blower,i was thinking that what i did will it be enough or should i buy a new filter.
What is your opinion on K&N filters
Thanks

Vesicant
04-04-05, 08:44 PM
Well, with paper airfilters you can never completely "clean" them.. once dirt gets inside the paper medium its stuck there reducing flow and its abillity to filter well.

K&N's - thats always been kind of an open subject, some people think they are worse because they believe they allow too much dirt to pass through and the oil hurts the system (only could happen if you applicate too much) while the rest think its great. They are washable and reuseable; and all you have to do is re-apply oil to the filtermedium when the instructions say so after a wash. Airflow is increased as well which is a plus side.

omermurat
04-06-05, 09:35 AM
I am a great fan of K&N filters, and I've been using them on all my cars for more than 10 years. In order to appreciate the efficiency and extra HP the car needs to be driven hard @ high RPMs which we don't do on the public roads especially with automatic cars as they shift up as sson as possible.

But there is another benefit as well. As I live in VA we have extremely humid air and as everyone knows that "paper" doesn't get along with humidity. Since K&N has a textile medium with oil on it, humid just passes through without a problem while same humid makes paper filters even more restrictive as it makes them swell. I realized that even more when I took my friend's Grand Cherokee's paper filter out to change it with K&N on a very hot and humid summer day as it was almost soaking wet, he felt the difference right a way.

The key is, not to use unsuitable oil on these filters and use the right amout in order to keep your "Air Flow Meters" oil free.

Timelode
04-06-05, 12:35 PM
I haven't used a K&N on my Catera yet, eventually I probalby will. But I do use one on my '95 Suburban and there is a noticable difference. Between the K&N and platinum plugs, I avg. 15mpg in day to day driving with the 'Burb.

omermurat
04-06-05, 01:50 PM
I agree, I have been enjoying 17mpg city with my 96 V8 Grand Cherokee and the main mods I did are K&N, Bosch Platinum +4, electric main fan, Fram X2 oil filter and Mobil 1 (not for the engine only but also for the transmission, differentials & transfer case). My Catera has all the above minus electric fan which comes standard. :)

inconnu
04-06-05, 08:53 PM
Found this site on air filter tests

http://home.usadatanet.net/~jbplock/ISO5011/SPICER.htm