: Hyundai and Toyota say "We're American too"

Jesda
04-04-05, 05:10 PM
Magazine ads scanned from last week's issue of The Economist.

Toyota Advertisement (http://q.spilky.com/nicothread/toyota-economist.jpg)

Hyundai Advertisement (http://q.spilky.com/nicothread/hyundai-economist.jpg)

slk230mb
04-04-05, 05:24 PM
To some extent they are right. They are creating jobs for Americans while producing a producted engineered to some extent out of Japan.

ben72227
04-04-05, 05:47 PM
Just wait for Sandy to come in and say "American?!?! Those Japs can't fool me!":D

I, for one, believe in the whole "global economy" thing so Toyota is in some way, somewhat American. At least they're USA division is:D and i know that Honda designed that new truck of theirs just for American tastes (seeing as how big pickup trucks are impractical in Japan)...As long as there is a demand for Toyotas/Hondas, then they will do well here. GM needs to stop playing around and catch up (yeah right, like that's gonna happen:histeric:)

Sandy
04-04-05, 06:20 PM
Okay.
My Question:

General Motors goes to Japan (or Korea); and buys land there (Yes, I'm dreaming ~ I know WE "foreignors" are not allowed to buy land in their land), but like I said, I'm dreaming. Okay, on this land G.M builds design offices, production facilities, R &D, etc, etc. We begin turning out Pontiac G6 cars and Cadillac CTS cars. They look as they do here, but wear "proper" (per country) lighting and other country specific laws to conform. Okay?
Will Koreans and Japanese look at our cars and see them as either Korean vehicles or Japanese vehicles? Of course not! So...why do we?
Answer: They are smarter than us, ALOT smarter, and are nobodies fool !

ben72227
04-04-05, 06:28 PM
Or maybe Sandy, they just won't buy our cars for the same reason we don't buy our cars - THEY SUCK. Why ON EARTH would you buy a G6 when you could get a Camry? Toyotas last longer, they're designed better, and they have much much much much better interiors than any Pontiac vechicle. Not to mention that they don't have that tired, worn out, decade-old design look to them like Pontiac.:nono:

Playdrv4me
04-04-05, 06:36 PM
GM is doing the same in China. Not only will they be SELLING the CTS, SRX and even the XLR there, they will be BUILDING them there. I see the downsides to both arguments, but for now I think GM can make the global economy work as much to its benefit as the Japanese and Korean can to theirs.

Besides, do you really think I feel "bad" as to shed a tear for the domestics? The auto industry is a MAMMOTH self protecting bureacracy if there ever was one. There has been talk of such things like OILS that never need replacing, TIRES that could go for many many more miles than they currently do, and most importantly, the complete abandon of the aging internal combustion engine and its reliance on fossil fuels. Yea pie in the sky environmentalist hoo-haa to an extent im sure, but the Auto industry is fierce and self protecting to an EXTREME degree, and I wouldnt doubt that involvement by the big three has served to stifle some of what could be very promising new methods of doing things. GM is my favorite car company, but I think if we are going to throw slime at Toyota and Hyundai for being "terrible entities looking to overtake our country", we need to stop and look at what our own beloved manufacturers do sometimes.

Hyundai in particular makes an interesting case study. Not only are they building plants here and employing Americans, but they contribute to our economy by building cheap and reliable cars that are the only cars some are able to afford, thus giving them the ability to travel to and from work and do their part in the economy. They (Hyundai/Kia) give low income individuals first time buyer financing and establish low monthly payment plan terms for them. Sure no one WANTS a Hyundai, but for some, it is all they can afford and they are damn proud to have their first nice new car, and not be buried by a debt they can not afford. I applaud Chevrolet for trying their hand at this market with the Aveo, but unfortunately the credit structure at GM is not setup in such a way to support such an inexpensive car, and "farmed out" financing to other lending institutions typically does not end up as well for the end customer. I think there are several sides to this argument that are not often seen.

HotRodSaint
04-04-05, 06:37 PM
I bet that the Brits, the Aussies and the Germans view Ford as a domestic brand. ;)

adam_mcd
04-05-05, 12:52 AM
since north america is the largest automotive market, the 'domestic' term for any company setting up shop is probably thrown around to more of an extent in america than say, europe, which has a booty load of companies with a booty load of countries.

BeelzeBob
04-05-05, 01:07 AM
Hyundai is quickly approaching the 300hp mark with their new premium high-performance luxury flagship sedan, the Azera (http://www.hyundaiazera.com/home.aspx).

adam_mcd
04-05-05, 01:13 AM
wow could they rip off the taurus sho anymore? damn koreans..

Ralph
04-05-05, 01:21 AM
Not too long ago I bought a Swiss Tissot mechanical watch. It was made in Switzerland but they sell them here, employ people to sell them here and extra parts are made HERE for future repair and overhaul.

I guess I'll now call it a Canadian watch. :thumbsup:

Even if they were initially made here I would still WANT to call them Swiss!

I also doubt the Chinese will call Cadillac a Chinese car when they make them in China.

powerglide
04-05-05, 06:35 AM
Just wait for Sandy to come in and say "American?!?! Those Japs can't fool me!":D

I, for one, believe in the whole "global economy" thing so Toyota is in some way, somewhat American. At least they're USA division is:D and i know that Honda designed that new truck of theirs just for American tastes (seeing as how big pickup trucks are impractical in Japan)...As long as there is a demand for Toyotas/Hondas, then they will do well here. GM needs to stop playing around and catch up (yeah right, like that's gonna happen:histeric:)

.....not cool with the use of the slur 'Japs'

powerglide
04-05-05, 06:37 AM
Okay.
My Question:

General Motors goes to Japan (or Korea); and buys land there (Yes, I'm dreaming ~ I know WE "foreignors" are not allowed to buy land in their land), but like I said, I'm dreaming. Okay, on this land G.M builds design offices, production facilities, R &D, etc, etc. We begin turning out Pontiac G6 cars and Cadillac CTS cars. They look as they do here, but wear "proper" (per country) lighting and other country specific laws to conform. Okay?
Will Koreans and Japanese look at our cars and see them as either Korean vehicles or Japanese vehicles? Of course not! So...why do we?
Answer: They are smarter than us, ALOT smarter, and are nobodies fool !

Dunno about Korea but many 'foreignors' own property in Japan.

Sandy
04-05-05, 10:39 AM
"" not cool with the use of the slur 'Japs' ""

You are correct ! Also, watch using "Jew" instead of Jewish !!

Adumb
04-05-05, 11:25 PM
hey, i know its off topic, but this girl i work with just bought a 2001 hyundai accent. its a 5 speed, but it doesnt have a tac or a shift light, so i was wondering if anyone could comfirm that it has a 6500rpm redline? she's a cutie so i want to put a tac in for her.:yup: thanks

berkin
04-05-05, 11:31 PM
I'm sorry, but Toyota, Hyundai, and Honda all have little real heritage. Nothing to get excited about.'

Chec the

"My favorite Cadillac: The V16" post