: Colo. Cracks Down on Left-Lane Dawdling

HotRodSaint
04-04-05, 06:05 PM
Colorado is serious about its no-dawdling law in left lanes. Drivers who insist on staying in the passing lane are risking tickets as the State Patrol has begun enforcing a law requiring motorists to use the left lane for passing only. (http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&cid=816&e=2&u=/ap/20050404/ap_on_fe_st/lingering_lefties)

Since the patrol started enforcing the "Left Lane Law" three months ago, troopers have written about 460 tickets or about an average of five a day to drivers who dawdle in the left lane.

The law applies in zones with speed limits of 65 mph or higher. It took effect July 1, but troopers gave drivers until January to get used to the new law; warnings were issued instead of tickets.

Let's go national with this law!

slk230mb
04-04-05, 06:25 PM
What happens on two lane highways? One lane soley for passing, I'll pass, thanks. Route 17 is pain in the ass enough.

Kev
04-04-05, 06:57 PM
What happens on two lane highways? One lane soley for passing, I'll pass, thanks. Route 17 is pain in the ass enough.The article stated

The law is not enforced when the highway is too congested to allow drivers to pass.

I beleive the intention is to dissuade those drivers who insist on driving in the left lane regardless of their speed or whether they are obstructing traffic by pacing the cars in the right or driving slower than them. You know the type, the ones who won't pull over for anyone unless there is a red light in their rear view or they decide to leave the road. The ones who cause guys like Stoney and myself to imgine what it would be like to have sidewinder missiles or miniguns mounted on our cars so as to remove said annoyances.

HotRodSaint
04-04-05, 07:17 PM
What happens on two lane highways? One lane soley for passing, I'll pass, thanks. Route 17 is pain in the ass enough.

The law in most states requires that slower traffic move to the right.

The only thing new about this, is that the law is actually being enforced.

BeelzeBob
04-04-05, 11:41 PM
I'd rather not have the left lane ONLY for passing. I like staying in the left lane - and I go fast enough to stay there. The I-95 is completely packed bumper to bumper. If there's only two lanes, no one will ever get anywhere. Make 4 lanes and have the 4th lane be the passing lane. As it stands, three lanes isn't enough during rush hour or lunch. Set a higher minimum speed for the left lane. That's all.

Kev
04-05-05, 12:05 AM
In Cali, which may be similar to many other states, if there is a car in the left lane overtaken by other traffic, it is required that the person in the left pull to the right even if they are cruising at or above the speed limit. This is not an unreasonable law, it legislates common courtesy among drivers. Some drivers take the attitude that because they are at or above the limit that anyone who pulls up behind them wanting to pass is **** out of luck. That attitude is wrong and in Cali will earn that driver a ticket for obstructing the flow of traffic.

BeelzeBob
04-05-05, 12:07 AM
Now that's what I'm talking about! That's the way to do it...

TomDeville
04-05-05, 12:59 AM
Hi Fellas,

I've noticed in my highway
travels throughout North America,
that left lane behaviour differs
depending on your region. In
some areas the left lane is used
almost exclusively for passing and
speed demons, in other places there
are tons of the idiots that Kev described who
figure they can drive the speed limit, or
at their individual comfort level over the
limit in the left lane; and, that everyone
behind them can just F. o..!
In this area the left lane moves well
without any specific laws, to my knowledge.
A courtesy flash of the high beams does the
trick when you're approaching 9 out of 10 times,
the guy who doesn't pull right gets the 'Brights
Up His Ass', until he gets the hell over.
On the basis of my observations of "Left Lane
Conduct", it really seems to vary from area to area.
I consider it a great law, if required. It seems that
Colorado must have deemed it necessary as a
consequence of left lane dickheads being a more
problematic there than in places where the lawmakers
have not embraced the veritable merits of such a
Regulatory scheme, essentially governing matters
of courtesy.

Best Regards,

TomDeville :coolgleam
:coolgleam

Stoneage_Caddy
04-05-05, 01:28 AM
Good its about time they started enforceing it ....

Gentleman , we can all take example from germany , if you lolligag in the left lane you will be ticketed , if you pass useing the right lane you will be ticketed ....there is none of this lazyness or running side by side over there....

Its this "american" driving style that pisses me off ...everyone thinks they are #1 , no one else needs to get anywhere any faster than they do ...

I have even had people try to run exactly beside me , i finnaly learned that if i move towards them they will slow down and stay away from me ..aperently a cadillac mergeing diretcy towards someone isnt a good thing ...

Now if everyone would move to block traffic when one lane ends , instead of people abuseing the ending lane to get ahead of those who have merged already.....A few times other cars have followed my lead and blocked boath lanes to prevent cars from useing the ending lane as there personal speedway to cut infront of everyone that has been waiting ...

If you have never given this any thought then think of this , everyone in the lane that didnt end has to let all of those who used the ending lane to pass everyone into the continueing lane, clogging up the continueing lane and traffic ....Please merge ahead of time and get settled intot he lane , and when one cars moves to block boath lanes go with it , this will stop the counter productive flow and restore proper traffic flow for the area.

davesdeville
04-05-05, 01:40 AM
People here don't seem to get the "flash to pass" concept. They get a couple of horn blasts from me if flashing doesn't work (well if you can call the wussy ass horn on my ETC a blast - 135dB airhorn coming soon.) The double sunroof finger is my last resort.

adam_mcd
04-05-05, 01:47 AM
double sun roof finger...ahahahhaa.

Stoneage_Caddy
04-05-05, 01:48 AM
People here don't seem to get the "flash to pass" concept. They get a couple of horn blasts from me if flashing doesn't work (well if you can call the wussy ass horn on my ETC a blast - 135dB airhorn coming soon.) The double sunroof finger is my last resort.
Oh i got it ...and so did the jackass behind me tonight in the f350 ...bastard "flashed to pass" me and i couldnt move over or get the car infront of me to go faster or anything ....so at 60 mph i was 2 feet fromt he car infront of me , 3 feet from the stupid f350 and had a minivan right beside me with a car tailageting him and a car infront of him ....

I decided it was party over and hit the brakes ....HARD ....i figured either way there was gonna be a crash i may as well take that bastard in the f350 with me .....i lucked out ....and broke the group up enough to get by all of them

Ralph
04-05-05, 01:53 AM
They get a couple of horn blasts from me if flashing doesn't work (well if you can call the wussy ass horn on my ETC a blast - 135dB airhorn coming soon.) The double sunroof finger is my last resort.

Damn buddy, you're going to need to carry a firearm for defence especially if you provoke Road Rage like that!! LOL.

p.s. I've never had a louder horn than in the Fleetwood! It's like the QE 2!

powerglide
04-05-05, 07:45 AM
It's about time! Its one thing if the highway is congested, but too many idiots cruisin on the left most lane forcing others to pass on the right (effectively forcing them to break the law by doing so)

I was SHOCKED at how courteous drivers are in Baja Mexico last week. Slower traffic stayed to the right, and even when they were on the left side, the cars always moved right over when they saw you coming. It reminded me of how rude and self absorbed drivers had become here. As soon as I crossed back into San Diego, sure enough, idiots cruising down the passing lane even with 4 empty lanes on the right. Flashing headlamps just makes em more resolute.

So glad to hear them enforcing this law.....autobahn style!

Elvis
04-05-05, 11:28 AM
My wife does this and it drives me CRAZY. She just cruises along in the left lane at or below the speed limit because it's smoother.

Then she bitches when somebody comes barrelling down on her at 80 mph, honking and flashing their lights. I tried to explain the law to her but she gets mad.

I just sent her the link, so I'm probably in big trouble now.

HotRodSaint
04-05-05, 12:43 PM
That attitude is wrong and in Cali will earn that driver a ticket for obstructing the flow of traffic.

I have yet to see someone get pulled over for impeding the flow of traffic.

I see CHP cars passing those people on the right all the time.

Kev
04-05-05, 03:13 PM
I have yet to see someone get pulled over for impeding the flow of traffic.

I see CHP cars passing those people on the right all the time.As a matter of fact, I have seen a few, not nearly as many as I'd like to though.
There's never a cop around when you need 'em but, always when you screw up! :cop: :banghead:

powerglide
04-05-05, 04:03 PM
Got a fat ticket for passing on the right lane. I wasn't speeding (more than the others 74 in a 65). Cop just ticketed me for the passing......I blame the morons hogging the passing lane! (in MA)

Cops do whaterver they want anyways....can't use their driving habits as a textbook.

CoupeDevilleRob
04-05-05, 05:38 PM
Sounds like Germany's "drive right" law. Right lane for normal driving, left lane for passing and speed freaks. It's about time we began to instill some driving discipline in this country.

davesdeville
04-05-05, 07:50 PM
There's never a cop around when you need 'em but, always when you screw up! :cop: :banghead:

Ehh there wasn't one there on Saturday :D :D :D

SupaFly
04-06-05, 07:20 PM
This is one of my ultimate peeves by far. I must always see what kind of person drives like that BEFORE I CUT RIGHT IN FRONT OF THEM . I try to move them onto the shoulder slowly too. I almost tap their rearview mirror with mine. If I have the time, I will slow down to a crawl right in front of them and won't let them pass. Its usually some as_hole on a cell phone. SO AGGRAVATING. They have no idea wtf they are doing.

RBraczyk
04-06-05, 07:26 PM
Sounds like Germany's "drive right" law. Right lane for normal driving, left lane for passing and speed freaks. It's about time we began to instill some driving discipline in this country.

Interesting concept, but people over here are not nearly as educated or as well trained as german drivers and our roads blow nuts. If you hit one of the potholes on our highways doing 150, get ready to die.

If our vehicles were built to German standards as well as our roads I'd say yes, but then you have to think about germany and then the US and how very much larger and less money pp that we have...

I'm not getting into the politics of it. :)

K2K
04-06-05, 08:21 PM
I live in CO -- been enjoying this new law greatly since I have no trouble going an insane amount over the limit. However, about 1 in 5 people still aren't used the law and it seems to be the ones who like drifting in the left lane.

Also, you technically need to switch back to the right lane each time you pass a car, which is a bit annoying, but no more annoying than how things were before.