: GM Announces Lutz...out

cadillac04
04-04-05, 02:08 PM
Apparently GM has announced today April 4, 2005 that Bob Lutz will relenguish his role as chairman of the North American division. He will now concentrate on global product development.
What will this mean for the future of the V series?????????????????

Playdrv4me
04-04-05, 02:13 PM
This will be one interesting ride...

http://www.autoweek.com/news.cms?newsId=102117

Stoneage_Caddy
04-04-05, 02:45 PM
Wagoner ...same man that screwed the pooch on the Aurora idea ...

Fire your H.R. dept Mr Wagoner .....

Stoneage_Caddy
04-04-05, 02:59 PM
Ive always looked at V Series as a GNX/Syclone type deal , the run is over when the platform is redesigned ....

The true test will be if the next Gen CTS-V Makes it ....if it does then we have nothing to worry about ....

Stoneage_Caddy
04-04-05, 03:06 PM
i have been thinking about doing something with this one for an hour ....im happy someone a bit more descisive took care of it .....

I wonder if we should move them to "Cadillac news" with Raufs post ?

we now return you to your regularly schedualed program

Playdrv4me
04-04-05, 03:09 PM
Actually, Ive got a better idea. For the sake of the integrity of the original posters thread, Ill just can mine and merge it in here.

c5 rv
04-04-05, 08:54 PM
The buck stops with Wagoner. He did such a good job in that role before, the board promoted him to CEO. Now he gets to work his magic again, or probably take early retirement.

BeelzeBob
04-04-05, 11:57 PM
GM needs to start concentrating on building better vehicles - and less of them.

Honda:
Honda (inexpensive vehicles)
Acura (expensive vehicles)

Toyota: (Toyota is selling so many cars they NEED new brands to suck buyers away from GM)
Scion (inexpensive vehicles)
Toyota (inexpensive vehicles)
Lexus (expensive vehicles)

Nissan:
Nissan (inexpensive vehicles)
Infiniti (expensive vehicles)

GM:
Chevrolet (inexpensive vehicles and Corvette)
Pontiac (inexpensive vehicles)
Buick (inexpensive vehicles)
Cadillac (expensive vehicles)
GMC (inexpensive vehicles)
Oldsmobile (inexpensive vehicles - now gone)
Saturn (inexpensive vehicles)
HUMMER (expensive vehicles)
Saab (expensive vehicles)
Holden (inexpensive vehicles)
Opel (inexpensive vehicles)
Vauxhall (who the hell knows?)

What the hell are they thinking? Why are they concentrating so hard on so many different brands that appeal (or don't, rather) to the same audience? Why not make it simple like Toyota, Honda and and Nissan? Maybe that's why these companies with so few models to choose from sell better in countries outside their own. We can't even sell more cars to OUR OWN PEOPLE!

Ya know what GM should be? Chevrolet, Cadillac and EITHER Buick or Pontiac. That's it! They have far too many different types of automobiles to concentrate on building them all to perfection. They need to focus on one automobile, in each class, at one time. Not four. There's four unfinished, rushed-to-completion, half-ass GMs to compete with every perfected Honda, Toyota or Nissan in every single class.

</frustration>

Playdrv4me
04-05-05, 12:06 AM
GM needs to start concentrating on building better vehicles - and less of them.

Honda:
Honda (inexpensive vehicles)
Acura (expensive vehicles)

Toyota: (Toyota is selling so many cars they NEED new brands to suck buyers away from GM)
Scion (inexpensive vehicles)
Toyota (inexpensive vehicles)
Lexus (expensive vehicles)

Nissan:
Nissan (inexpensive vehicles)
Infiniti (expensive vehicles)

GM:
Chevrolet (inexpensive vehicles and Corvette)
Pontiac (inexpensive vehicles)
Buick (inexpensive vehicles)
Cadillac (expensive vehicles)
GMC (inexpensive vehicles)
Oldsmobile (inexpensive vehicles - now gone)
Saturn (inexpensive vehicles)
HUMMER (expensive vehicles)
Saab (expensive vehicles)
Holden (inexpensive vehicles)
Opel (inexpensive vehicles)
Vauxhall (who the hell knows?)

What the hell are they thinking? Why are they concentrating so hard on so many different brands that appeal (or don't, rather) to the same audience? Why not make it simple like Toyota, Honda and and Nissan? Maybe that's why these companies with so few models to choose from sell better in countries outside their own. We can't even sell more cars to OUR OWN PEOPLE!

Ya know what GM should be? Chevrolet, Cadillac and EITHER Buick or Pontiac. That's it! They have far too many different types of automobiles to concentrate on building them all to perfection. They need to focus on one automobile, in each class, at one time. Not four. There's four unfinished, rushed-to-completion, half-ass GMs to compete with every perfected Honda, Toyota or Nissan in every single class.

</frustration>

Ive had my ideas... but quite honestly you are 100 percent correct, this would fix the situation once and for all.

Ford has many brands, but really the only brands that are TRADITIONAL brands to Ford are well... Ford, Lincoln and Mercury. All the PAG group brands are icing on the cake for them, with occasional problems, but Ford can ALWAYS go back to just... Ford, Mercury, and Lincoln. And THEY could still stand to lose Mercury...

adam_mcd
04-05-05, 02:06 AM
think of the uniformity. why take away holden, opel, and vauxhall? theyre on totally different sides of the planet? how many opels, holdens, and vauxhalls do you see in america? ill tell you this, take away holden and youd have a shitstorm in the land down under. looking back, gm has a cut and clean operation, now if they could 'operate', theyd be somewhere.

cars:
chevy: all around utility, sport, and family; buick/pontiac: mid-ranged sport/luxury; cadillac: uber-luxury

trucks:
chevy: all around truck, utility; GMC: mid-ranged utility/luxury; hummer (and cadillac, why not): uber-luxury

the international brands just dink around the world, making money, what the hell-ever

whats wrong is WAY too much platform sharing with WAY too little originality. now ford shares its platforms this with mercury and lincoln and in fact, jaguar and land rover. BUT would you know it from the looks of it, that jag and rover did? all gm cars look the same throughout and in, with too little distintive qualities, let alone body style.

berkin
04-05-05, 05:05 AM
think of the uniformity. why take away holden, opel, and vauxhall? theyre on totally different sides of the planet? how many opels, holdens, and vauxhalls do you see in america? ill tell you this, take away holden and youd have a shitstorm in the land down under. looking back, gm has a cut and clean operation, now if they could 'operate', theyd be somewhere.

cars:
chevy: all around utility, sport, and family; buick/pontiac: mid-ranged sport/luxury; cadillac: uber-luxury

trucks:
chevy: all around truck, utility; GMC: mid-ranged utility/luxury; hummer (and cadillac, why not): uber-luxury

the international brands just dink around the world, making money, what the hell-ever

whats wrong is WAY too much platform sharing with WAY too little originality. now ford shares its platforms this with mercury and lincoln and in fact, jaguar and land rover. BUT would you know it from the looks of it, that jag and rover did? all gm cars look the same throughout and in, with too little distintive qualities, let alone body style.

Land Rover doesn't share platforms with other cars. The new LR3 has a 4.4 liter 300 hp V-8 that started out as a Jaguar V-8. The LR3's engine is tuned for more low-end torque and off-roading. Jaguar's 4.0 liter V-8 first came out in the 1997 XK8,

The LR3 has an...

(from edmunds.com)

"Integrated body frame is just a fancy way of saying that the LR3's traditional ladder frame is aided in crash-worthiness by a body that has almost unibodylike strength. In most typical body-on-frame designs, the frame provides all the strength while the bolted-on body simply holds the passengers. The LR3's body, though, has extra strong sills that literally envelope its frame. So closely does it wrap around, in fact, that in the case of an accident, the body is forced into the frame rails greatly adding to its strength. Land Rover says that this significantly increases resistance during offset crashes, the common bugaboo of body-on-frame designs."

http://a332.g.akamai.net/f/332/936/12h/www.edmunds.com/media/advice/specialreports/landrover.lr3/05.landrover.lr3.str.500.jpg

The X-Type uses a European Ford Mondeo's chassis, but it modified (awd instead of fwd) and the S-Type has been so heavily revised in 2003 and 2005 from the Lincoln LS that are don't share much stuff today. I hope Jaguar drops the X-Type.

Check out the new aluminum XJ for some hope in the following thread:

http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=36439

I can hardly wait for the 2006 Pontiac Solstice.

http://fast-autos.net/pontiac/pontiacsolstice.html

http://www.solsticeforum.com/photopost/data/3017/208NYC2005-11-med.JPG

Jesda
04-05-05, 02:26 PM
Holy crap, what a dramatic presence!

Playdrv4me
04-05-05, 02:34 PM
I love the Ford luxury brands, especially Jaguar and Land Rover... always been perennial favorites of mine, Jaguar even moreso with its british racing history.

So confident is Ford/Land Rover in their new LR3 platform, that they are completely scrapping the (BMW Engineered) current Range Rover plaform and starting off the basis of the LR3 for the next all new Range Rover! The LR3 base platform has alot of potential.

Stoneage_Caddy
04-05-05, 02:59 PM
Im in love ...with a small convertible .....question is .....would it be the same "fruity factor" as if i bought a miata ? i really like the idea of a mini me Vette

davesdeville
04-05-05, 07:28 PM
Miatas have a fruity factor rating of 10 out of 10. They should come with a rainbow paintjob as a factory option. The Solstice is barely a 2 or 3, with the Sky at a 4-5 because it wears a Saturn badge.

Playdrv4me
04-05-05, 07:37 PM
Yea the Solstice is quite an impressive looking little car. The only small convertible I like more is probably the Mercedes SLK.

BeelzeBob
04-06-05, 06:44 PM
When is GM going to start seeing reports like these? When they cut the fat out of their lineup and start making fewer cars to concentrate on...

Toyota Reports Best-Ever Sales Month; Record First Quarter - 04.01.05
http://www.toyota.com/about/news/corporate/2005/04/01-1-sales.html

Acura (Honda) Sets Record March Sales - 04.01.05
http://hondanews.com/CatID1000?mid=2005040151151&mime=asc

Nissan Achieves Record Breaking Sales - 04.01.05
http://nissannews.com/corporate/news/current/20050401104110.shtml

MEJIA
04-06-05, 11:09 PM
Bob Lutz did so much for Cadillac division
I just hope there is a bright future for Cadillac once he is gone

Mejia

RobertCTS
04-08-05, 11:39 AM
I read that Lutz hated the new Cadillac Stealth look and for that reason he lost my vote!:rant2:

CoupeDevilleRob
04-08-05, 04:17 PM
I heard that about Lutz too. He hates the art & science look with a passion and made them soften it for the STS dramatically. Personally I think he's over rated, GM is still building crap compared to the competition. He was supposed to be this messiah, but what has he really done? The products are getting better, slowly, but they're nothing that's turning the industry on its head.

RobertCTS
04-08-05, 04:29 PM
I heard that about Lutz too. He hates the art & science look with a passion and made them soften it for the STS dramatically. Personally I think he's over rated, GM is still building crap compared to the competition. He was supposed to be this messiah, but what has he really done? The products are getting better, slowly, but they're nothing that's turning the industry on its head.

I think the CTS was a big jump in a new and stealth design. The new 3.6 engine design could be found only in Formula One cars 10 years ago. The new 5 speed automatic was real jump forward IMO. All of those improvements had nothing to do with Lutz. With that said, adios Lutz:annoyed:

Jesda
04-08-05, 04:42 PM
I know a guy who worked at GM in sales and marketing. He sat in on meetings with Lutz and said the guy was an arrogant, idiotic showoff. All flash and little substance. A few hits but no major success stories.

majax
04-09-05, 12:55 AM
I like the art and science but I am glad Lutz did not let them go crazy with it. It looks good when you put some boundaries on it. Look at the next CTS, wow!

They'll live w/o luts and I am kinda surprised that he did not do as good as I thought. I think the big issue is that GM they spend 2 cars developement funds on 3 cars. the G6, LaCrosse, and Impala, someone gonna fix what Lutz did? I agree with sal, they need to loose something so they can better focus thier resourses. Even better they need to distance the brands so much that they are like the seperate corporations they are supposed to be as of the early 90's. Cadillac is the only GM corp that acts like one. Buick, Pontiac, and Chevy are momas boys to their union.

SilverCTS
04-09-05, 07:55 PM
GM

Saturn: Inexpensive
Chevy: Mid-Range
Cadillac: Expensive
GMC: Trucks

Saab & Hummer: Niche Markets

Jesda
04-09-05, 10:27 PM
The next CTS? Hmm. I guess I need to Google.