: 99 Catera crank-no fire, intermittent

Caddycat1999
04-04-05, 02:12 PM
hey,
new to cadillac forums i discovered the site and hopefully anyone can help me. I own a 1999 catera, i have had few problems with the car yet 1 intermittent issue has arisen recently. Not very often i find that the car will crank yet not fire. Just the other day i drove for about 20 mins, the car was at proper voltage and opertaing temperature like normal, i parked it and about 10 mins later it would not start. It would crank at a healthy rate and all the lights were working, no trouble codes present, but it just would fire.
On the third attempt it started and for the rest of the night it started fine i ran errands parking it at times for 5 mins and at times for 3 hours. This condition happens about once every three weeks or so. the car has always started it just tkaes 3 or four tries and it simply cranks but wont fire, any advice is welcome, please respond soon.
sincerely
-caddycat1999

Vesicant
04-04-05, 05:43 PM
Id say fuel pump related OR what a lot of owners (including me) had was that the crankshaft position sensor or the camshaft sensors are malfunctioning.

Caddycat1999
04-06-05, 12:13 AM
Crank and cam sensors is what crossed my mind, the problem is very intermittent, was yours or other like that also? I'm an ASE cert. tech, and of course every techs nightmare is that dreaded word intermittent ESPECIALLY when it comes to electrical components that are as "simple" as sensors which seem to number somewhere within the millions on newer engines. thanks for all the help though, i'll price and research the parts tom. and any more info would be great.
-caddycat1999

omermurat
04-06-05, 08:06 AM
Have you guys thought about the key related theft deterrent system? Your key might be alright but how about the code reader inside of the cylinder? Just a thought :)

Caddycat1999
04-06-05, 11:55 PM
never really thought about it because i have not much experience with the keys containing the internal chips. Have you? what cylinder are we talking about here, the ignition switch?or is the code "reader" inside the ECM?

omermurat
04-07-05, 08:16 AM
There should be a code reader inside of the lock cylinder on the steering column where the key goes in to read the code on it. When I got my key duplicated, the locksmith copied the code from the original key and pasted it in to the new one. Without that code your engine would crank but couldn't start. Since your car starts at least every now and then, your key should be ok as it's either fine or bad, but how about the code reader in the lock? That might not be the problem, but it's worth keeping it in mind :o