: Manual Tranny?

acecody
04-04-05, 11:21 AM
Does anyone know if it is possible to do an easy conversion of the opel manual transmission into a 1997 Cadillac Catera? Do you know where you could buy a manual tranny, and what all it would take to install it? Like computer, clutch pedel, cables, and such. Has anyone done it?

CateraSport
04-04-05, 04:37 PM
I can look into this for you if you'd like..

I was approached by a guy last week who was curious about my car (the custom wheels) who also owns a catera, he had never seen another person change a catera from stock... We got to talking, and he was suprised my car was automatic - he has a 5 speed in his. He said he thought all the cateras came with a 5 speed, but I told him his was the first I had seen... If I see him around again, I'll ask him where he got the car or if he knows who worked on it before he bought it.

Vesicant
04-04-05, 04:39 PM
Im not sure what the manual transmission setup is like, but you would need to somehow program the PCM to register the manual transmission as well as making the traction control work with it. Items you'd need: computer, the clutch pedal assembly, servo and fluid reservior, shifter, pedal linkage and shifter linkage, boot, and you'll have to mod the center console to make the shifter fit.

The 03-04 5spd manual transmission from the 3.2 CTS might be retrofitted to work seeing as it connects to just a larger displacement version of the engine in the Catera. Problem is that theres software changes between cars and it may be different length requring a new driveshaft etc. All this figuring has to be worked out by you before the transformation happens.

Otherwise check ebay, scrapyards in the UK/Europe; maybe someone has a hookup on the forums here.