: Cadillac may share Sigma architecture

HotRodSaint
04-04-05, 12:04 PM
General Motors may derive rear-drive Buicks and Pontiacs from an exclusive Cadillac vehicle architecture. But don't expect any Chevrolets based on Cadillac underpinnings.

A less costly version of Cadillac's Sigma vehicle architecture is a candidate for several rwd cars now that GM has killed plans for its rwd Zeta architecture in North America.

"A natural place to land would be Sigma," Jim Taylor, Cadillac general marketing manager, said last month at the New York auto show.

Taylor said another option is re-engineering Holden's VT architecture, which is the basis for the Holden Monaro and Commodore and Pontiac GTO.

"I don't think I would conclude that plans for rear-wheel vehicles at GM are cancelled forever," GM Vice Chairman Robert Lutz said last month at the New York auto show. "I see it more as a delay. We will study other ways to get at rear-wheel-drive passenger cars." (http://www.autonews.com/article.cms?articleId=52418)

Playdrv4me
04-04-05, 12:41 PM
"A natural place to land would be Sigma," Jim Taylor, Cadillac general marketing manager, said last month at the New York auto show.

No Jim! Its not! It is not a natural place to land, and its not like some sort of game of connect the dots "oh that ones free, lets go over there"! Robbing from peter to pay paul is not how you fix the damn auto industry!! Take away Cadillac's exclusivity, the little bit it gets, and I guarantee you will see negative impact from it. Consumers are NOT stupid and CADILLAC BUYERS WILL PERCEIVE ASSOCIATION WITH LESSER BRANDS IF THIS OCCURS!

This is ok with the strong truck platform and even the slowly exiting G platform, but do this to all the new Cadillacs which ALREADY look very similar, and people will know. Trust me, they will know.

Now the idea of using the Holden VT architecture, I do like that. Holden products except for the Monaro based GTO are not a mainstay here and with the right kind of engineering could be made to be very very appealing to Buick and Pontiac buyers.

But im sorry, I am not trying to be pissant here but the idea of throwing Cadillac sperm out there for the rest of the brands is utter stupidity. Seems like the easy way out to me.

Stoneage_Caddy
04-04-05, 04:34 PM
I Like the idea of the Kappa Based Camaro Replacemnt best ....strecthed a bit and fitted with the 3.6v6 and a 4.8 litre pushrod V8 might be a nice car ....

Sigma shouldnt be shared , bad enough we have the new northstar powered buick that will eat into DTS sales ......

the brand redunanacy is whats killing GM , they never learn .....the only way to make it work is to starve all brands on the platform like what happens with the SUVs ,huge demand and comaprtively limited numbers spread across the brands....not the flooding they do with 6 variants of one platfrom flooding the market with light skin changes and light option diffrences ...

Ralph said it best "they could get a deville for the same price "...

when your brands compete aginst each other with similar matarials and no room for diffrenetiation valuable resourses are wasted .....

90Brougham350
04-04-05, 05:04 PM

Market cannibalization! Didn't anybody at GM get a degree in business for God's sake! :banghead:

Brian

Vesicant
04-04-05, 05:53 PM
Market cannibalization! Didn't anybody at GM get a degree in business for God's sake! :banghead:

Brian

I like to call it the GeneralMotors Syndrome .

davesdeville
04-05-05, 01:23 AM
Well on the plus side it means more RWD vehicles. That said I agree it's a bad plan.

Vesicant
04-05-05, 01:47 AM
Now i'm confused. I saw this on Lutz's blog site:

Yes, we have canceled our plans to build rear-wheel-drive vehicles off the Zeta architecture. But that does not mean we've canceled plans to build rear-drive vehicles altogether.

We did not cancel the Zeta plans to save money, or to divert funds elsewhere that would've been used for product development.
http://fastlane.gmblogs.com/

So modifying an existing chassis would be better than an all new one- how?

Damn you GM. Hope this is leading to something good.