: Replacing Bose stereo with a Kenwood

dwaines
04-03-05, 08:46 PM
Hi All,

I was wondering if anyone out there replaced the bose head unit successfully and kept all of the existing speakers? If so can someone give me a clue how to do it? I bought a wiring harness and everything seems to work ie. I can see the radio pick up ST (stereo signals) but can't hear anything out of the speakers.

Please let me know.
Thank you,
Dale

weister42
04-03-05, 09:42 PM
I bypassed everything stock and ran my own power wires, ,speaker wires, made my own ground and the turn-on wire. Basically I just left everything stock(the only thing I took out is the HU) but ran all new wires.

Bose stereo have a factory amplifier, so if you just go get a wiring harness the power will still be from the factory amp, not your new HU. IMO factory premium audio systems is a waste of money.

Skullman
04-04-05, 01:57 AM
Hi All,

I was wondering if anyone out there replaced the bose head unit successfully and kept all of the existing speakers? If so can someone give me a clue how to do it? I bought a wiring harness and everything seems to work ie. I can see the radio pick up ST (stereo signals) but can't hear anything out of the speakers.

Please let me know.
Thank you,
Dale

~ If your New Head Unit has Built in High Level (Watts) Amps, Disconnect before you Blow your Head Unit or the Bose Amps! Bose Systems have an Amp for every Speaker, they run different Ohms then most aftermarket units. If I recall right, it's either 1 or 3 Ohms. Unless you are running a Conversion Kit (I'm not up to par with the latest) that allows proper low level out, you'll need to replace all the speakers in your Rig! I had this problem some time ago with a Bose System in a Vette. After replacing Amps and Speakers at Considerable Cost to keep the Bose System Up I finally replaced it All! A Lot Better Sound Quality and Reliability! If you are running a Conversion Kit and it's still not working your Bose Amps may be Blown!? What year is your Rig?

dwaines
04-04-05, 09:51 AM
Thanks for the response. I have a 1989 Cadillac deville. I don't believe I blew any amps cause I hooked back up the bose stereo and it seems to work just fine. I still want to install the kenwood (my car is a mess in parts for the deck.) cause of the CD/MP3 funtionality but don't want to replace all the speakers right yet. Anyone else have any ideas where I won't have to spend a fortune?

Thanks again.

Dale

Birdie
04-04-05, 10:43 AM
Bose uses 2 Ohm speakers which must be used with the matching amp setup. The input from the radio to the amp must be speaker floating ground or you will blow your 20 amp accesory fuse under the drivers feet fuse panel. One of the regular radio power wires must send 12 volts back to the amps to turn the bose amps on. If you look at the wiring you will find 2 sets ( 4) speaker wires, The ones that come out of the harness with the radios other 2 connectore are not used with bose, They have a second harness with 2 speaker wires for the bose system, Use those.

Birdie
04-04-05, 10:44 AM
Oh, When you properly wire it you will hear a relay click behind the glove box, This is the amp relay turning the bose amps on.
The Schematic I have here doesn't have the bose wiring or I would give you the wire, However since this radio has a manaul on/off you should be able to meter it's wires and find the ones it sends 12 volts to when turning its power on and use those wires on the new radios powered accessory line to control them again.

dwaines
04-04-05, 01:48 PM
Thanks Birdie,

So let me see if I understand this correctly. When I disconnected the bose stereo the were 2 extra smaller plugs which were disconnected. Are those for all of the speakers or just the fronts? If so should I disconnect the 2 which are like them and plug those into the new wiring harness? The wiring harness which I purchased has 4 slots one of which there are no wires coming out but the caddie plug that fits into the slot has a big connector with a red plastic piece on top. Could that possibly be the plug which turns on and off the amp?

Sorry for the run on but just want to make sure I don't blow anything.

Thanks,
Dale

Stoneage_Caddy
04-04-05, 04:19 PM
hope you dont mind but im moving this to the stereo system area ...should get a few more ideas there ....

dwaines
04-05-05, 11:06 AM
Oh, When you properly wire it you will hear a relay click behind the glove box, This is the amp relay turning the bose amps on.
The Schematic I have here doesn't have the bose wiring or I would give you the wire, However since this radio has a manaul on/off you should be able to meter it's wires and find the ones it sends 12 volts to when turning its power on and use those wires on the new radios powered accessory line to control them again.

Ok I went home last night and tried this (don't know if I did it right) I jumped a wire between the plug with the red cap on it (I'm pretty sure it goes to the relay) and a +12 V switched wire then the other to a ground. Turned on my new deck and still can't hear anything.

SOMEONE PLEASE HELP!!!
Thanks,
Dale

STS 310
04-05-05, 05:12 PM
That year system used a "floating ground" for the speakers? Thought that was OLD technology, and I mean at least 30 years.

dwaines
04-06-05, 05:29 PM
That year system used a "floating ground" for the speakers? Thought that was OLD technology, and I mean at least 30 years.

Does that mean I just need to hook up +12 V to the orange wire on the 4th plug? There is an orange and a grey.

Dale

dwaines
04-07-05, 04:16 PM
Hi All,

This may be of some interest to people I found this site which says you can hook up a aftermarket deck to factory bose speakers. Would like some feedback on what eveyone else thinks please.

http://www.logjamelectronics.com/piehrcgm.html

The part is called:
P.I.E. HRC-GM 1982-1990 GM W/Bose Headunit Replacement Converter
HRCGMhttp://us.st1.yimg.com/store1.yimg.com/Img/trans_1x1.gifRetail Price: $69.95http://us.st1.yimg.com/store1.yimg.com/Img/trans_1x1.gifLOGJAM Price: http://store1.yimg.com/I/logjam_1838_9141359http://us.st1.yimg.com/store1.yimg.com/Img/trans_1x1.gif

I want to order this but don't know if it'll work.
Thanks again,
Dale

D148L0
04-07-05, 07:20 PM
Thanks for the link, Dwaines.
It has been added to my files... let us know how it worked for you.

dwaines
04-08-05, 08:39 AM
All,

It looks like I'm not going to have any luck with this part. I emailed the company and unfortunately they said it's company policy not to ship outside the USA. What a bummer.

Dale