: Power Antenna

ferrisworld
04-03-05, 09:20 PM
My power antenna cable broke a while back, and not knowing how to fix it, I bought some generic one from the local auto parts store. Now that one doesn't work and just makes a clicking sound when I jump it to the battery. The motor for my stock one is still good, so if I can repair it and use it again, or if I can get another OEM type one that would be great, but I don't know where to get them.

fleetwood76
04-04-05, 11:41 AM
Hello. when you tried to jump it from the battery, did you try to change between the cables and the connections on the battery, when you put one cable to minus and the other to plus the motor in the antenna schould rotate one way and when you change polarity on the cables it schould rotate the other way. So when it clicked it maybe only was in all the way the motor could move. However i'm not sure a universal PA works this way, but if it has only two cables and they are the same size (gauge) it probably schoul work as i described in the beginning.

mustangdon
04-04-05, 12:42 PM
Ferrisworld,

I just repaired my broken power antenna on my 1993 Fleetwood Brougham. Remove antenna assembly from vehicle. Remove the clips and bolts on the power antenna assembly and the case will split in half. Pull the antenna cable thur the hole in the gear where the metal end clip was and crimp a coxial cable connector on it. This is were mine was broke. Reassembly and pray. Be sure to check the cable for other weak spots, because I had to redo my after the 1st try. It broke about an inch above my 1st crimp. The antenna will not extend as far but it's close and lot cheaper.

Good luck,
Don

ferrisworld
04-05-05, 02:42 AM
Well this one is on my 79 deville. The cable broke about 5 inches from the mast, and I think crimping something on there to fix it would get it caught up in there, so what I'd like to do is remove the broken cable piece from the mast and put a new cable in, but I don't know how. It has 3 wires as did the original, and yeah I tried several variations to make it work. It has a ground wire, an up wire, and a down wire. When I connect to the down wire nothing happens, which makes sense because the original one had an internal switch that would switch the polarity so the motor would go up when it got power again, and so it would stop going down. When I connected to the up wire, I just got the clicking sound like something was stuck. Honestly I think the original antenna would be easier to fix, especially since it's already in pieces, and then I could use the original antenna relay as well.

ferrisworld
04-07-05, 10:36 PM
Man...

bgridin
04-08-05, 12:15 AM
My antennae is broke at the base, I have an '85, anyone know how to get into the damn thing so I can fix it. It looks like I have to go throught the wheel base or take off the fender....:confused:

ferrisworld
04-08-05, 01:10 AM
I was able to wiggle mine out on my 79 without having to take off the fender. I went in from under the car with the wrench and then took the antenna out from the top. I think I took it out from behind the hood hinge, but it might have been the front. Whatever works. I wish someone knew how to fix these things and would tell me.

dsfcom
07-26-05, 07:10 PM
Looking for help...I have a '94 and replaced the factory antennae with an aftermarket; problem is that when I use the factory plug w/relay I can only get it to go up. Is there any way to tell what exactly those three factory wires go to? My new antennae only has two plus a ground (so three); one is supposed to go to the radio and one is supposed to be connected to a constant 12V power supply. Problem is, I can't seem to find a "CONSTANT" 12V power supply in the trunk area. Any ideas?

ReagansRollsRoyce
07-30-05, 03:12 PM
My 1987 Brougham p-ant snapped off on the highway (previous owner had driven it thru carwash and it was already stuck in the up position). I tried aftermarkets on the fender and on the inside. Both were absolutely terrible. In the end, I had to go to the dealer (*wince*) to get it fixed right. They were the only people that seemed to know what they were doing. It's fine now, several hundred dollars later.

Broughamfanatic
07-30-05, 04:36 PM
Replacing the p-ant on the 87 Brougham was a pain. I remember having to turn the wheels all the way to the right, removing the chrome arc that goes along the wheel well, removing the lower 2 or 3 fender bolts, and removing the bottom plastic part of the wheel well. After all that, there was a little space I could drop out the old antenna, and put a new one back in. Having a second person to hold the antenna to line up the screw holes would have made it so much easier. BTW, if it's the original antenna, the coaxial cable quick release connector may be stuck together. I played hell trying to get the 2 ends to seperate without ripping the wire from the connector. Don't pull on the wires! Use 2 sets of pliers or vice grips and pull on the 2 ends of the coax cable connector to get it apart. Was I doing something wrong? Has anyone else had to use brute force to get the quick-release connector apart?