: Catless kooks to corsa?

Johnny-V
09-06-13, 02:03 AM
Debating on going catless kooks headers to my corsa exhaust on a stock engine. If I went no cats am I going to have a headache when I drive it or is it really that loud? Anyone with these setups or opinions I'd appreciate it.

Thanks

HAMSTAR
09-06-13, 08:53 AM
It's won't be loud on a stock engine. The kooks/corsa sound is pure music. On a cammed engine, it will def be loud, maybe too loud.

barrok69
09-06-13, 11:40 AM
I just had to hollow out one of my cats and I couldn't perceive a noticeable difference in sound. The material inside broke up and was rattling around really bad at idle. I think that has to be the most embarrassing sound. I have Kooks and Corsa, stock cam and a Maggie. I'll do the same to the other side when it goes as well.

Johnny-V
09-06-13, 12:31 PM
Thanks guys. I just don't know if I want to pocket out the extra money for the high flow cats if I don't have to. I wish I could just hear it in person to see how loud it really is.

rand49er
09-06-13, 05:31 PM
I went with Kooks' metallic cats ... mostly for the guy behind me.

As far as sound level, I'd bet you'd be hard pressed to tell the difference.

Johnny-V
09-06-13, 10:37 PM
I went with Kooks' metallic cats ... mostly for the guy behind me. As far as sound level, I'd bet you'd be hard pressed to tell the difference.

When you said mostly for the guy behind you what do you mean?

Cadzilla8
09-06-13, 11:41 PM
The exhaust note sounds a lot more heavenly behind the car as we are always driving we don't get to truly appreciate the songs our cars sing

kyle242gt
09-06-13, 11:56 PM
Dude, that is no joke. I saw a video of my 240Z shot trackside and suddenly realized why I get so many dirty looks rolling around town.

Manofmetal01
09-07-13, 10:09 AM
I continually get remarks about how mean this setup sounds. It makes me smile.

rand49er
09-07-13, 11:05 AM
When you said mostly for the guy behind you what do you mean?Well, I've spent precious little time riding in a car behind my V, but I can tell you that while idling at a light shortly after startup with a slight breeze from behind and the sunroof cracked, I can smell my car's exhaust. It's ... well ... stinky.

I suspect that while driving normally the catalysts light off and oxidize carbon monoxide and hydrocarbons fairly effectively. The thing is I don't really have first-hand knowledge as to the smell emanating from the rear of my car while driving.

UnsafeAtAnySpd
09-08-13, 02:22 PM
I have Kooks, no cats, cutouts and Corsa. For road trips, the cutouts are closed. It's not too loud.

Johnny-V
09-14-13, 12:36 AM
Thanks for the feedback. I'll just have to see how it works out. If anyone is selling any lightly used kooks or know of anyone let me know.

253ctsv
09-14-13, 04:07 PM
I've got cooks and catless corsa. Inside the car its a little louder. When you get on it (3500+rpm)its quite a bit louder. Outside at lower rpm it is a nice grumble, and at higher rpm the sound is hard to describe. Its very loud and raw. Also on deceleration it rumbles and pops. I've had guys pull up at stop lights n tell me how bad ass it is. I've passed friends on the freeway at wot and they say it sounds like NASCAR. But inside, normal driving its not bad...

Chris Cornett
09-14-13, 10:34 PM
The fuel smell at cold startup is too much for me to handle without cats.

JD03Cobra
09-16-13, 11:08 AM
The kooks/corsa sound is pure music.

Agreed! I run this setup without cats and love it! It's clearly louder without cats at WOT, couldn't imagine with the Corsa exhaust.