: Intermediate timeing chain shaft - O ring?

Loose screw
04-03-05, 04:50 PM
I had pull off the intermediate timing shaft to clean particles behind it in the oil passage ways and chamber located there. This engine had been worked on before so I am not sure everything was installed correctly. There was no seal or gasket behind the shaft. On the back of the intermediate shaft is a small groove that may require a O ring, the block also has a beveled edge where the shaft sits that may be designed to compress an O ring if one goes there. These machined areas may also only be to allow the shaft to mate flat with the block. I have check the manual and can not see or read about an O ring or seal in that location but it also does not discribe the removal or installation of the shaft. An a exploded view that the dealer parts guy printed out is too small and hard to tell if an O ring is required. Since behind the shaft is presurized oil it would seem likely that an O ring or gasket would be used to seal the shaft to the block. Anyone know for sure if any seal is used behind the intermediate timing shaft?

BeelzeBob
04-03-05, 10:59 PM
I had pull off the intermediate timing shaft to clean particles behind it in the oil passage ways and chamber located there. This engine had been worked on before so I am not sure everything was installed correctly. There was no seal or gasket behind the shaft. On the back of the intermediate shaft is a small groove that may require a O ring, the block also has a beveled edge where the shaft sits that may be designed to compress an O ring if one goes there. These machined areas may also only be to allow the shaft to mate flat with the block. I have check the manual and can not see or read about an O ring or seal in that location but it also does not discribe the removal or installation of the shaft. An a exploded view that the dealer parts guy printed out is too small and hard to tell if an O ring is required. Since behind the shaft is presurized oil it would seem likely that an O ring or gasket would be used to seal the shaft to the block. Anyone know for sure if any seal is used behind the intermediate timing shaft?

There is no o-ring there. Just bolt the intermediate shaft to the block. It seals OK. Any leakage is just internal and serves to lube the timing chains...LOL

The groove is a stress relief between the machined surfaces. The bevel is to elminate any burrs from machining the hole in the block where it mounts and to help guide the intermediate shaft pilot bore into the hole when it is assembled in the engine plant. Good catch and good question but there is no o-ring used there.

Loose screw
04-03-05, 11:37 PM
Thanks Bbob that makes alot of sense. It seemed a little on the small size for an O ring but the beveled edge of whole sure made it look possible.