: is it worth it . . .?

pimpin88
04-03-05, 12:15 PM
there is a lady down the street from me who has a 1988 cadillac fleetwood brougham. it is black with a black leather interior and red pin striping. this lady hasnt driven it for a long time because she has back and leg problems and because the car needs all of the brake lines replaced, but she does not have the money to do it. should i go and offer to buy it off of her, fix the brake lines and put it up for sale? if she will sell it to me, how much should i offer. i only paid $1400 for mine and its in great shape. i need to take a closer look at hers to see what kind of condition it is in. although, if its nicer than the one i have now, i might keep it. so what do you guys think. is it worth it? or should i just let the poor car sit there for another couple years

canadianpsycho
04-03-05, 01:53 PM
ask her what she wants, if she doesn't say anything, offer $1000 if you think that it's worth it. What's worse, a caddy that needs fixing, or a caddy that's just sitting there?

90Brougham350
04-03-05, 03:36 PM
Make an offer, there's nothing worse than a Caddy just sitting, getting lot rot.

Brian

BluEyes
04-04-05, 11:33 AM
what the heck was done to the car that it needs all the brake lines replaced? Even the chassis hardlines? That seems unusual...

pimpin88
04-04-05, 09:34 PM
i'm not sure if its all of the brake lines or what, she just said that the lines went out. it seems to be in pretty good condition but is not driveable because of the brakes. if i go out there to check it out and it runs and the body, frame, and interior seem nice, how much should i offer. like 900 or something

kmhebert
04-05-05, 01:01 AM
You might as well make her a low offer and see what she says. Are you going to use it as a parts car? It will be hard to get any decent profit on a resale unless you buy it for real cheap, so you may as well throw her a low number and see what happens.

pimpin88
04-05-05, 08:37 AM
i'm going to put new brake lines on it, and if it is nicer, gets better mileage, and has more options, i am going to keep it and sell my red one with the velvet seats. otherwise i am going to try and sell it for a profit

FASSTWOOD
04-05-05, 11:03 AM
I would offer her less explaining that you really don't need the car you just want to play with it. And since it needs all that work you don't want to go crazy with it. She might bite after all its and 80's car almost twenty years old... offer 400 or 500 see what happens the that could happen is that she will say no.

pimpin88
04-05-05, 12:18 PM
alright, i think im gonna go check it out on my way home from school, so i should be able to let you guys know what happens tonight

pimpin88
04-05-05, 05:01 PM
just got home from lookin at the car. the lady was not home so i could not make an offer. so here goes. the frame is rustier than mine, but i'm not sure what would be considered ok because mine is pretty clean. the paint is very nice and shiny pretty much everywhere except for the front passengers side corner. it has some scratches that look like they would be able to be buffed out. the top and interior look nice. the odometer says 19,000, so i'm guessing 119,000.

now onto the more serious stuff. the back end is sagging a lot. the battery was either dead or disconnected, so i dont know how long its been sitting without air being pumped into the shocks. the rear fenders had some rust around the edges of them. the drivers door has problems. when you open it, the door drops down a bit and seems to rub on the front fender. possibly an accident? i wanted to look under the hood, but the hood release did not work. there is a lot more rust than i would have expected, so i dont know that it would sell for much unless i did some body work.

so what do you guys think, should i buy it and part it out, and take the parts that i need. the interior is very very nice. so is most of the paint. or should i try to fix the brake lines and sell. based on this info, what kind of an offer should i make.

pimpin88
04-05-05, 05:03 PM
i could not get a great look at the underside, because it has sunk into the grass a bit because it is so wet here

90Brougham350
04-05-05, 05:05 PM
Well, can you fix the brakes on your own? If so, I'd make an offer for 500, fix the brakes, and try and sell it as soon as you get it running.

Brian

pimpin88
04-05-05, 05:10 PM
kelly blue book valued the car, with some guesses on a few things, at $830, fair condition. kbb always seems to be high with their prices.
so what should i offer when i go there again

pimpin88
04-05-05, 09:49 PM
yea, i can fix the brakes on my own, i just have to go out and buy some brake line. i've already replaced a few on my brougham. also, if i did not mention in the above, the headliner is pinned up, and there are some spots of dull paint behind the wheels which appear to be spots that have been bondoed. i went up a second time with a flashlight and got a better look at the frame. its not as bad as i first thought. the entire thing has been undercoated. hopefully she will be home when i go up there tomorrow. otherwise i will leave a note in her mailbox

pimpin88
04-06-05, 09:06 AM
i think i'm gonna make my first offer at $400. cant hurt anything. if she says no, then i'll go up in small increments and give her cash for it