: ZEX ordered....

WoodShoe
04-03-05, 10:49 AM
I ordered a 75 shot wet kit. Never ran any of my vehicles on the bottle. Any advice for first time installer? ..im scared :eek:

davesdeville
04-04-05, 12:26 AM
Zex is a dry kit isn't it? Has your engine been timeserted or not?

ShadowLvr400
04-04-05, 10:59 AM
Ok, bunch of things to warn you on, as one of the very few people to have run a bottle northstar. 1) NEVER spray below 3k. You'll almost garuntee a backfire, and that will tear some stuff up. 2) Start rich with fuel, and then slowly work leaner. I'd use a tester to watch a/f very carefully. 3) If you don't have a time serted block, you should time sert it. Otherwise, you will lift a head and kill a head gasket before too long. 4) Make sure you have a firm grip on the wheel when you spray, especially in first. I was running a larger 125 shot, but the car was rather jumpy. It will want to pull to whatever side it can. 5) Do NOT spray directly off the line, see #1. 6) Once everything is set up smoothly and working, be prepared to be about a bottle a week habit. :) I was going through a 10lb tank a week at $26 a refill. 7) You might also consider switching to even higher octane fuel if you plan on spraying often. 93 Octane is pushing it a bit with a 75 shot on these high compression motors. I'd mix a bit of 100 in if you have it accessible. I know that'll hurt, but it's another line of defense from tearing stuff up.

It is fun using the bottle though, and I do miss my Eldo, including the nitrous setup. But, this new Fleetwood will have more power all the time, and RWD, so I'll make the sacrifice, and live without nitrous. :)

BeelzeBob
04-04-05, 12:34 PM
GET COLDER SPARK PLUGS.....

The production plugs are pretty "hot" in terms of heat range to avoid cold fouling. They will be marginal for preignition using the bottle. I doubt that you will find any colder dual platinum plugs so just go with conventional plugs but do yourself and favor and GET COLDER ONES.

It only takes a little leaness to induce preignition which will ruin your day as it will put a hole in a piston very very quickly. Before you know anything is wrong it will be too late as you will just feel the misfire as the cylinder goes lame.

I wouldn't worry about the fears of timeserting. The gas pressure loads on the head bolts are insignificant to the preload on the bolts and the loads and forces induced by thermocycling of the block. The head bolts don't really "see" the combustion loads per se as they are below the pre-tensioning loads induced during tightening the bolts...so the combustion loads do not fatigue the bolts or the joint. If the head bolt threads are going to fail it is going to be something that happens anyway or during a teardown for a head gasket.

If you don't bother with the colder plugs you will likely get experience timeserting anyway when you tear down the motor to replace pistons...LOL

WoodShoe
04-04-05, 08:40 PM
It is a WET kit ... Pretty cheap IMO, ....1100$CDN with a purge kit. Im pretty nervous about it leaning out. The timesert I think I will do without, i've been pretty hard on this engine and its holding up pretty good.

BeelzeBob
04-05-05, 11:44 AM
Wet or dry....get COLDER PLUGS.

davesdeville
04-05-05, 06:57 PM
Ah I see. For some reason I thought Zex only made dry kits, my mistake. Let us know how it goes.

If I can work out the kinks in my idea I'll be running a seperate fuel cell of 104 octane for the nitrous system... when I buy a nitrous setup that is. 104 unleaded through the nitrous system and 89 through the gas tank would average over 93.5 octane on a 125 shot.

WoodShoe
04-05-05, 08:39 PM
Ill b getting those plugs. Thnx for the info. Also I run 94 octane most of the time. I guess ill just have to buy some booster more often. I Hope I have some time to do this, im on the road alot and I leave my car at work....