: Fiber Glass help

ja killz
04-02-05, 07:48 PM
Im creating a custom fiberglass enclosure utilizing my spair tire wheel well ext. I already know alot and have been around it before but does anyone have a website or something that has good instructions for this type of project? If not, for the more experienced, what kind of fabric should I use to stretch from the sub retaining ring down to the base to create that nice smoothe curve. I've seen fabric used and Id rather do that then use a ton of resin to make the contours.

D148L0
04-02-05, 07:57 PM
Go to www.the12volt.com and do a search... they have plenty of useful info there. I posted about it some time ago, but for some reason I can't find it... :hmm: :confused:

As for the fabric, I've used regular pantyhoses...

Deville n J-ville
04-02-05, 08:11 PM
Well, you can use lots of stuff but I prefer to use fleece to get the first mold. Ordinary sweatshirt fleece works very well, just make sure you secure your rings down well and stretch it as tight as possible. Also, get as much resin as you can in the fleece the first time, as it will make the mold stronger.

Before you go hacking up your sweatshirts:) , you can also use a t-shirt or grill cloth to make the first mold if fleece isn't available. Panty-hose will work as well, it just cant hold too much resin compared to the fleece. After you let the first mold dry, then go back with strips of fiberglass mat and build it up until it's as thick as you'd like it. I like to lay the mat in 4"x4" (or so) pieces, that way you don't get in to trouble trying to get it to lay it down over any complex curves. I use a roller to roll the air bubbles in between each layer. because they can be your worst enemy when glassing. Any air bubbles trapped between layers willl make the project weaker so get as many out as possible.

ja killz
04-03-05, 09:50 AM
should I use any fabric in the trunk mold? the one that actually takes the shape of the well. Ive only seen it used in the actual shape?

Deville n J-ville
04-04-05, 07:43 PM
should I use any fabric in the trunk mold? the one that actually takes the shape of the well. Ive only seen it used in the actual shape?

I'm sorry for the confusion, but the process that I was talking about was more for the face of the box. To make the mold of the well, I always make that out of just fiberglass mat. Be sure to tape everything in the well with some good painters tape (the snot green 3M painters tape works the best for me) and put something on the tape (some kind of mold release, WD-40, or even pam cooking spray) so the fiberglass won't stick to it after it dries.

ja killz
04-05-05, 06:42 AM
oh duh good idea thanks, i was wondering how to get all the tape off

Deville n J-ville
04-15-05, 07:23 PM
Any progress?

ja killz
04-17-05, 08:59 AM
Ya i might take pics of the final, it came out pretty much what i was thinking of which is always good! :) But like I said ill try to get a pic or two of the final

PS its taking so long because im still in school and got sports on weekends so i have like no time. But hey once it's done itll be worth it