: Installing Wired XM 2003 DTS w Nav

SurferTom
04-02-05, 05:12 PM
I posted a similar question on the Deville forum, but this might be a better spot.

Anyone have experience adding wired XM (or Serius) radio to their 03 Deville DTS with navigation? Factory doesn't currently offer an upgrade kit. Discussion with a local aftermarket shop was unsuccessful too, unless I wanted a wireless unit. (i.e. the XM receiver broadcasts on an unused FM frequency which I set my factory radio to receive). It works but definitely not CD quality. Thanks in advance.

LymanSS
04-03-05, 06:18 PM
Unfortunately I can't offer much assistance because I've never been too into the audio scene. However I'm in the same boat (with an '02 nav-equipped DTS) and I'd really like the ability to add XM or some other media source. The only things I've really thought of are the following:

CD changer - can you splice in there?

Cell adaptor - there was an option for cell phone integration with a specific phone. I'm told all the wiring is in place whether you bought the option or not. Probably not stereo and probably not ideal so probably not worth mentioning

According to my factory shop manual, the export versions of the car had a set of auxilliary inputs located at the rear portion of the center console to allow for the use of a video game system or some other AV source. Is it possible that the head-unit is the same and simply lacks the wiring? If so this might work

That's about all I've got. Again I have no experience with audio systems so I can't say what's possible and what's not.

Scott

SurferTom
04-09-05, 08:57 PM
I'm in the same boat as far as really no specific knowledge on these audio systems.

According to my factory shop manual, the export versions of the car had a set of auxilliary inputs located at the rear portion of the center console to allow for the use of a video game system or some other AV source. Is it possible that the head-unit is the same and simply lacks the wiring? If so this might work.

That's interesting and you would think that the head-unit might have the capability, that is not utilized on domestic versions. Also XM was a factory option I believe on the 02 also (and the 03) and you would think that a factory upgrade would be available...but it isn't.. If I hear of anything I will post an update.

maydog
04-10-05, 01:14 AM
You should be able to splice into the cd changer output or the head unit output / RIM unit input. There are several other threads on this in the forum right now.

Fritzi
04-10-05, 01:25 AM
I dont know if it helps, but my boyfriend installed XM into my 2002 DTS, but I dont have navigation. I can get him on here if ya want.

Swangin-&-Bangin
05-18-05, 10:21 AM
I have an 03 DTS with Factory nav, cd changer, & Xm radio... That is very strange that the dealership can't add the neccesary hardware to your nav.. I wonder if there are 2 diffrent models of the Nav, one with xm radio and cd changer capabilty, and one with out?

LymanSS
05-18-05, 10:54 AM
Interesting to hear that XM was available with the nav system in 2003. When I ordered my '02 it was not possible to get both of those options together. I really wanted to, but it said right in the brochure "XM satellite radio not availabe with navigation system" or something like that. The DVD nav system was new at the time, so I figured they'd be changing that as soon as possible. I guess they had it done by 2003. I wonder what's different, and if it's possible to upgrade to a 2003+ unit in order to add XM.

Scott

SurferTom
06-20-05, 09:52 PM
I have an 03 DTS with Factory nav, cd changer, & Xm radio... That is very strange that the dealership can't add the neccesary hardware to your nav.. I wonder if there are 2 diffrent models of the Nav, one with xm radio and cd changer capabilty, and one with out?

I've checked several dealers and they tell me it can't be done. I would have thought that the units would have been the same (with an upgrade mod) but with the same harness. Even the after market guys say they can't do it yet. Apparently there is not much interest from the Deville crowd. Thanks for the replies. Will keep checking other threads.