: New engine

bgridin
04-02-05, 12:26 AM
I want to put some heat up under my hood, what engine can I fit into my '85 Fleetwood Brougham RWD?:lildevil:

Big_Blue
04-02-05, 12:33 AM
Chevy 305, 350
Olds 307,350(rocket),403 and 455 are the most popluar engines I seen and heard swapped in

CadiJeff
04-02-05, 01:16 AM
cadi 472 or 500 w/ edelbrock manifold

ferrisworld
04-02-05, 01:45 AM
Yeah you can put in any engine used in any GM B, C, or D body from 1977-1996. Some people have even done LS-1 swaps, and I'm sure you could do LS-2's as well, but you would have to make custom mounts and stuff. Prolly easiest to do the big block caddy or the LT-1 small block chevy.

davesdeville
04-02-05, 04:18 AM
500 cubic inches should be enough to get it moving. Might want to save your money on the Edelbrock 2115 and modify the stock intake though. It will essentally bolt right in the frame with the right mounts from a 425/368 equipped RWD car.

ShadowLvr400
04-02-05, 08:56 AM
Honestly, a 383 Stroker would probably do quite well. 425+ horse and torque would move it pretty respectably. If that isn't enough, you could get a crate 383 and set it up to run with a supercharger. That's my current plan.

bgridin
04-02-05, 11:58 AM
Good lookin out fellas! Anyone have any idea where to get some good deals on these motors? I'm not expecting cheap but decent prices will do.....

N0DIH
04-03-05, 12:29 AM
$ for $ it is hard to beat a 472/500 for sheer torque. The heavy Cad's need lots. Unless you are racing, and you drive the car alot you will be most happy with a big in motor with a mild cam that buids tons and tons of torque as opposed to a smaller motor that makes good HP but lacks low end torque.

A 500 with a low gear like a 2.73 or 2.56 is quite drivable and fast enough for most people with having to spend a lot of money on conversions to other engines.

I have been trying to talk a friend of mine into putting a 500 Caddy in his 90 Jeep Grand Wagoneer, and tell everyone it is a "stock" AMC 360 engine..... Will they ever be in for a shock!!!

ShadowLvr400
04-03-05, 01:32 PM
The one drawback to a big block is the current gas prices. A well done small block will produce enough torque to move the car quite well. An 85 with 425 horse and torque would easily be into the low 14's, high 13's. (Assuming right gears and some traction.) Don't know how fast you want man.

davesdeville
04-03-05, 07:06 PM
A small block making the same power as a big block isn't gonna be much differant.. And you don't do an engine swap in a 2 ton car for gas mileage anyway.

evilrussian
04-03-05, 09:05 PM
Big blocks are always nice. There is a '71 500CI Caddy motor for sale in my area for $400.00, probably just needs a set of rings and gaskets. But those motors are getting harder and harder to come by down here, our junkyards are getting picked clean by hillbillies and Miccosukee Indians, those Caddy big blocks work great in their airboats, for Everglades swamps.

I have a chevy 350 in my '83 DeVille, with intake and headers it moves a little better now but next year I'm getting a set of vortec heads and a cam, so that should make some difference too. Maybe later if I can afford, I'll drop a 383 crank in this block to make things even more fun. Of course I'd have to get a posi carrier for my rear axle, cause I can't get any traction already with factory 3.42 gears.

I just got my factory 200_4R transmission shifting nice and crisp with an adjustible TV system from http://www.bowtieoverdrives.com plus I got a billet servo from them too to help it handle added HP and torque.

The Ape Man
04-04-05, 01:23 AM
I just got my factory 200_4R transmission shifting nice and crisp with an adjustible TV system from http://www.bowtieoverdrives.com plus I got a billet servo from them too to help it handle added HP and torque.

What exactly did you do to that trans to get it to shift well? I have one here which was rebuilt to go behind a 500. I used it for about 1 year and it held up but the thing never shifted well under power. I'm seriously considering swapping this into my '80 Fleetwood 2 door. If this happens then I'll also replace the 368 with a 500 which is on vacation in the garage.

The answer to the original question contains 2 other questions. How much money do you want to spend? How are your mechanic skills?

The absolute cheapest way to go fast with this car would be to drop in a 425/472/500. These will bolt up to the 2004R and will haul a$$ with the factory rear axle ratio. Big problem is that the car will melt the RR tire when launched and the trans will be on borrowed time. With a convertor lockup kit, the fuel economy has potential to be reasonable. Spend more money on beefing the trans up and a lower numerical posi rear (like a 2.73) and the car will get very good highway fuel economy.
Another way would be to find a complete wrecked fuel injected 350 car. Swap the whole shebang over. Engine, trans, rear and electronics. Big job but hard to beat the results.
Got plenty of money and want to really make some smoke? Get a crate big block Chevy and a 400 trans. See you at the gas station.

bgridin
04-04-05, 02:25 AM
These are all really great ideas fellas, another question.....with the current stock transmission I have, what engine will fit with it? Or do I have to get a new transmission for any and all engines I would want to put under my hood?

ShadowLvr400
04-04-05, 11:40 AM
If you do a more powerful engine, you'll want a new tranny or to beef up the stocker. Too much power will gut a stock tranny.

90Brougham350
04-04-05, 01:02 PM
These are all really great ideas fellas, another question.....with the current stock transmission I have, what engine will fit with it? Or do I have to get a new transmission for any and all engines I would want to put under my hood?

Rule of thumb: engines and transmitions age at roughly the same rate. Therefore, an old transmition coupled with a brand new engine won't last too long. But Ape Man is right. Going to the junk yard and finding a TBI 350 with the 700R4 out of a 90-92 Brougham is a great idea. If you want to beef up the rear end, the Broughams with the 350's came with the 8.5 inch rear-end - doesn't get any stronger than that, at least for a 10 bolt. It's 3.08 too, better than 2.4x or 2.5x for acceleration.

Brian