: I Have Two Vinyl Tops?

DopeStar 156
04-01-05, 10:53 PM
I made a trip to my top guy today and we talked tops. He looked at my car and laid his hand on the roof. He then looked at me and said, "This is not the original top." I looked at him like he was nuts and for a second thought about taking my car somewhere else. He then said that this car had two tops. How the hell did he know that? Sure enough, he pulled away my belt molding and started to peel the top away from the edge. Low and behold there was a SECOND vinyl top! He turned to me and began to show me that the original top matched the paint and someone had wanted a darker red. I was impressed beyond all comprehention. He brought out the samples and I picked Garnet Red which is the color my visible vinyl top is/was so I'm gonna keep the darker interior matching top. He then said he'll replace my faded C-Pillar emblems with brandy spankin' new ones so that's fantastic. He also tried to talk me into replacing all of them and putting the gold package on but I told him that for now I'd just like to keep the chrome ones even though I agree with him when he said a dark red and burgundy Cadillac looks bangin' with the gold package. I said if I ever changed my mind I'd come back to him. He told me that the opera lights would be impossible to find and even more impossible to find a pair that work so I told him forget it. He's also going to replace my belt molding clips with new ones so that doesn't look like it's hanging off anymore. He also told me that it'd be done same day. We went inside, broke out the books and talked about a quote, and he quoted me $425 for the top, clips, and emblems. I gave him a $50 deposit and he hopped on the phone and ordered the clips and top right infront of me. All in all I'm VERY happy with my new top guy and he is promising very satisfactory results for a great price.

Adam
04-01-05, 11:43 PM
if you can, ask him if he can get a gold hood ornament for a 93 Fleetwood. here is my dilema, according to my parts dealership, the 93-96 Fleetwoods didnt have a gold package so after my hood ornament got stolen i ordered a chrome one and was going to send it off to get gold plated. so if you can, or when you get a chance, ask him if he can get one for me and how much it would cost. thanks bud:thumbsup: . (ill send him the money if he can get it, ill just need the companies address.) oh, congrats on your new top that will be here soon.

caddycruiser
04-02-05, 12:34 AM
That's really weird, but it sounds like you got a top notch guy to do the work.

Probably going to get my white vinyl re-dyed/re-painted, but I'd LOVE if I could just get the whole damn thing removed and then have the roof repaired and repainted--all shiny white paint. :thumbsup: Then get new emblems for the c-pillars.

Yet again, anyone KNOW what it looks like underneath the vinyl on a '93+, for sure? Any sloppy body work? Missing paint? My dad said he took the factory vinyl roof off of his '70 Chevelle and beyond the glue being a horror to remove, the seams between the roof panel and the back pillars were roughly done and required quite a bit of work, since the vinyl effectively hid it before. Wonder if it was done any differently in '93? :cookoo:

DopeStar 156
04-02-05, 12:50 AM
if you can, ask him if he can get a gold hood ornament for a 93 Fleetwood. here is my dilema, according to my parts dealership, the 93-96 Fleetwoods didnt have a gold package so after my hood ornament got stolen i ordered a chrome one and was going to send it off to get gold plated. so if you can, or when you get a chance, ask him if he can get one for me and how much it would cost. thanks bud:thumbsup: . (ill send him the money if he can get it, ill just need the companies address.) oh, congrats on your new top that will be here soon.
Actually bro, he had one on a table that I was fiddling around with in my hands. Gold. I'll ask him next week if I can buy it from him or if he'll sell it to you. Where do you live?

Adam
04-02-05, 03:47 PM
Kingsport TN. but will it fit a 93 Fleetwood? if so, then ill try buying it (for a reasonable price) cause i can get one of the ones that lay flush on the hood (you know the hood ornaments on Devilles that have night vision) for 150 bucks (gold too). i apreciate you asking him for me. get back with me as soon as you can.

DopeStar 156
04-02-05, 09:35 PM
Kingsport TN. but will it fit a 93 Fleetwood? if so, then ill try buying it (for a reasonable price) cause i can get one of the ones that lay flush on the hood (you know the hood ornaments on Devilles that have night vision) for 150 bucks (gold too). i apreciate you asking him for me. get back with me as soon as you can.
http://i4.ebayimg.com/02/i/03/bb/94/35_1_b.JPG This is exactly what it looks like. No fading, gold, and the mount looks like that. Like it fits into an oval As I recall that's what the ornaments on the 93's look like.

Adam
04-02-05, 10:21 PM
ok cool, looks exactly like the chrome one i got, give me the price of it if you can and a contact number/ address and ill get intouch with him. thanks man:bouncy: :yup: :thumbsup: .

DopeStar 156
04-02-05, 10:57 PM
Her ehere. Will do Fleet. I prolly won't get in touch with him again until next Friday when I drop my car off for the work on the top. I'll try to talk to him on the phone but he's kinda squirrely...... He prolly doesn't even know he has the thing.

Adam
04-02-05, 11:16 PM
just whenever. i do have a bit of good news for ya. DUB City's wave 10 1:64 series (with the 95 Fleet and the 85 Brougham) has 2 vehicles in the 1:24 scale, the Ford GT and the 99 Chevy Dually (sp?), so the Fleetwood and the Brougham shouldnt be too far off. i have the GT and the 99 truck (1:24) but i have not been able to find any of the 1:64 Fleetwood or the Brougham, so i had to order them. just thought id give you a bit of good news, its not far now. you know, i think me and you pushed it over the edge with that one thread.

Night Wolf
04-02-05, 11:21 PM
$425? wow

I thought it would be around $1,000

my '79 would love a new paint job and vinyl top....

Adam
04-02-05, 11:26 PM
its about 1k if you dont already have a vinyl top. ya see then they have to get all that stuff they put under it.

DopeStar 156
04-03-05, 01:22 AM
just whenever. i do have a bit of good news for ya. DUB City's wave 10 1:64 series (with the 95 Fleet and the 85 Brougham) has 2 vehicles in the 1:24 scale, the Ford GT and the 99 Chevy Dually (sp?), so the Fleetwood and the Brougham shouldnt be too far off. i have the GT and the 99 truck (1:24) but i have not been able to find any of the 1:64 Fleetwood or the Brougham, so i had to order them. just thought id give you a bit of good news, its not far now. you know, i think me and you pushed it over the edge with that one thread.
Do you mean the Denali? Anyway I can't tell you the pride I feel from our thread and how we may have just sparked a flame that grew into a big enough fire that we now have Fleetwood Brougham 1/64 diecasts and 1/24's in the works.

caddycruiser
04-03-05, 03:10 AM
I'd be interested to know how much a professional "roofer" would quote to repaint/re-dye the vinyl and not replace it. Might have to make a few calls this summer. :)

davesdeville
04-03-05, 04:57 AM
Sounds like that guy really knows what he's doing! Good for you that you found him...

ocjmakaveli
04-03-05, 04:22 PM
$425? wow

I thought it would be around $1,000

my '79 would love a new paint job and vinyl top....

actually guys it all depends if you go to a city like chicago where competition is fierce I've been quoted as little as $250 for a redye but I haven't done mine yet so I don't know the quality of the guy doing it but practically a redye is almost labor cost only.

a good shop quoted me at $450 but I trusted them and have seen their work I doubt anyone should charge more than $500 because there isn't that much work involved to warrant that much money.

brougham
04-03-05, 06:41 PM
its about 1k if you dont already have a vinyl top. ya see then they have to get all that stuff they put under it.

THey have to replace all that stuff anyway when they redo it.

AElayyat
04-03-05, 10:39 PM
Hey DopeStar, post some before and after pictures of the top when its all done.

DopeStar 156
04-03-05, 11:32 PM
Hey DopeStar, post some before and after pictures of the top when its all done.
Oh I definately intend to. I'll take the befores on Friday and the afters prolly Saturday morning so I'll have the sunlight. He promised good results so I'm excited.

Adam
04-05-05, 07:17 PM
Do you mean the Denali? Anyway I can't tell you the pride I feel from our thread and how we may have just sparked a flame that grew into a big enough fire that we now have Fleetwood Brougham 1/64 diecasts and 1/24's in the works.

nope there is a Chevy pickup dually or something, ah hell it has four wheels in the back :thumbsup: ! anyway, it is in the same wave as the Fleetwood and the Brougham. wave 10 i think.

DopeStar 156
04-05-05, 09:50 PM
http://www.jadatoys.com/images/12002_w10_64_Dub_die_blac_silv_1999_Che_Sil.jpg Wow, I've never heard of a Dooley.

Adam
04-05-05, 10:25 PM
yup thats it. same wave as the Fleetwood and the Brougham. its getting close :D :drinker