: '81 DeVille Questions for Tomorrow

TeagueJT81
04-01-05, 09:29 PM
If the weather here holds, I want to get some work on the Coupe done tomorrow. I have a few questions about it first, though.

First, when driving, the car has a tendency to all of a sudden start spewing steam out the right side of the engine compartment (there is no coolant leak, although the overflow tank does fill up with expanded coolant and boil over). I'm still conflicted about what could be causing this. I started to disassemble the engine down to the heads to change those gaskets, but I really don't want to do that. Could this problem be caused by a bad thermostat, and (assuming it's the head gaskets), when I change the thermostat, would it be safe for me to do a test drive to check on it, or if I'm worried about the head gaskets should I just go ahead and change them?

Second, one brilliant man cut one of the fuel lines going into the throttle body after he stripped the bolt really badly. What's the best way to repair metal fuel line?

By the way, the engine is the modulated displacement 368.

Thanks,

- Joe

tsmale
04-02-05, 10:34 PM
You might have either a bad t-stat or the radiator has had it.

As far as repairing the fuel line,the best (and safest) way is to cut the damaged part away with a tubing cutter.Put the right size fitting on the end,then use a tube flaring kit
to put a double flare on the end.You'll have to cut and double flare another piece of
tubing to fit in the gap.

However, I 'm not sure if it would be OK ,since '81 s are fuel injected.(Higher fuel pressure).

Can anyone add to this or correct me ?????

Tom

ferrisworld
04-03-05, 05:06 AM
Well, I can confirm that they are fuel injected, and so obviously the pressure would be higher. I don't know if it would be too high for the fix you're suggesting or not though.

fleetwood76
04-03-05, 08:32 AM
Hello. i'm not to used to the english languish so i'm not completly sure whats "flare" is but if it is the same method one use on brake lines, only bigger, there schould be no problem using that on the fuelline. The preassure in brake system gets many times higher than in the fuel system. Is the work just well done this schould be a very good way to repair the line. Again this goes if Flaring is what i think it is, if not, please correct me.

BluEyes
04-03-05, 10:15 AM
yes, a flare is what you think it is.

I don't know if a double flare is nessacary for fuel lines, since there is much less pressure than in brake lines. I'd look at the flare at the end of the existing line and if it is only a single flare, save a bit of work by only doing single flares on your repair.

TeagueJT81
04-03-05, 10:14 PM
Thanks all for the replies, I'll try to remember them this time. Unfortunately, Saturday was rainy and only 45 degrees F tops, and, to top it off, the '93 DeVille (my daily car) decided it didn't want to turn off the starter motor as long as the battery was connected, and the time and money has to go to it first (started another post on that).

Oh well. Thanks again.

- Joe