: Help with emissions system

rcarlson80
04-01-05, 06:18 PM
Hi, thanks in advance for your help. I just got a 96 Deville, I absolutly love it! I had to put in a transmission it cost me about 2500, The trouble is now at the inspection station they tell me I will get a rejection sticker if the Service engine soon lite is on. ( it is ) Also I have the Message " Service - Emissions System" any input would be helpful, thanks, RC

Ranger
04-01-05, 09:29 PM
What ever tripped the SES light will set a DTC (diagnostic trouble code). Simultaneously press and hold the OFF and WARMER buttons til the DIC lights all segments. The DTC will be displayed at the bottom of the DIC. Post the codes and someone will help you.

96CADDYDEVILLE
04-02-05, 04:59 PM
HEY I HATE TO BUTT IN BUT I HAD THE SAME EXACT THING HAPPEN TO ME DRIVING IN THE RAIN TODAY, THE CODE WAS PC1139 WHAT IS THAT?:thumbsup: AND WHERE IS THE LISTING OF THE CODE DEFINTIONS I KNOW I SAW THEM HERE BEFORE, TIA.

mcowden
04-02-05, 06:48 PM
96caddydeville, the P1139 code is "insufficient switching, bank 1 sensor 2," which basically means that the oxygen sensor before the catalytic converter is failing and needs to be replaced. If you look for my earlier thread about a 5% discount on parts, you can get them at www.rockauto.com for a decent price. Get the OEM-style sensors. There are several manufacturers including AC-Delco and Bosch. They are about $65-$75. Avoid the "universal" type sensors as they require extra work to splice the harnesses together. You will also need an O2 sensor socket to remove and install the new one. They can be borrowed at parts stores such as AutoZone, Advance, and Pep Boys.

Let us know what you do and how it works out. For future reference, you can look up the DTC codes here:

http://myweb.accessus.net/~090/dtcobd2.html

Good luck...

Ranger
04-03-05, 10:44 AM
I wouldn't jump on a new O2 sensor just because of one code. I used to get that code about once every 3 months or so. I just cleared it and let it go. I figured if it became more frequent I'd chnage it. Haven't seen it now in about a year.

96CADDYDEVILLE
06-02-05, 09:27 AM
Im Working Off Rangers Theory For Now

05-28-06, 08:52 AM
Ranger!you are right about the sensor, I had the same problem and went ahead changed the sensor after spending 70.00 bucks,3 months later the code came back P1139 and is still current.Now new codes are poping up (P0304 Cly.4 missfire detected) (P0138 02 Sensor circuit high volts Bank 1 sensor 2).Could the missfire be setting off the P1139 code? Thanks!

Ranger
05-28-06, 03:39 PM
Not sure , but if I had to guess I'd say no.