: Do we have enough people here to do something REALLY insane?

BeelzeBob
04-01-05, 06:43 PM
I was thinking.. Is there some way we could get some sort of drawing together where we could actually get 1000 people to buy something and have the winner actually get a brand new or certified Caddy?

Ralph
04-01-05, 06:53 PM
I'd be happy just at another shot at winning one of those Cadillac Watches! Another draw or ?

BeelzeBob
04-01-05, 06:55 PM
I'm not sure.. It would be nice if one of these days we get a lot of participation in a thread like this.. With all these automotive forums on the net - I've never heard of any of their members actually winning a automobile.. Why not? We have so many people here. Can't we get 1,000 people to donate $50.00 each for some benefit or another - and actually put that money together to buy me, err, somebody a Cadillac? :p We HAVE to have 1,000 people around here wealthy enough to partake in something like this 12 times a year.. Heck, a Caddy a month, I say!

90Brougham350
04-01-05, 07:19 PM
I've only been here 4 months (and a fun 4 months it's been), but that's the best idea I think I've ever heard! Now, the only real problem, what kind of Caddy? :D

Brian

Rolex
04-01-05, 07:27 PM
New CTS V or STS V and I'm in! :thumbsup:

Playdrv4me
04-01-05, 07:50 PM
Im in. Assuming we get 50k together, Im sure a chunk of that would go to whatever benefit is chosen, so Im assuming were lookin at either maybe a used V or SRX or a loaded new 05 regular CTS. I think those are the cars that would appeal to the widest audience of participants.

Keep in mind though, that San Andreas thread was IMMENSELY popular, quite possibly the longest running thread on this entire forums history, and it is just NOW making it over 954 posts. So getting 1000 people together will take some clever work. You could essentially just let the raffle run in perpetuity until you reach 1000 people I guess.

D148L0
04-01-05, 07:56 PM
Count me in...

BeelzeBob
04-01-05, 08:05 PM
It's going to be difficult and I don't want to start anything unless we're confident we can actually make it happen. I don't want to find myself sending out $25k in refunds at one point or another.. Let's all work on the details.. Maybe a certain percentage would simply go to a charity we all agree upon, and then the bulk would go to an actual vehicle.. We'll have to see how many people will participate to feel-out which car we'll be going for. Still, I think this is a great idea and, to my knowledge, it's never happened on a forum before.. The "idea" may have happened, but the actual "car" never happened.. I'm sure that's enough to prove how difficult this will be...

slk230mb
04-01-05, 08:15 PM
I'm in, the idea is awesome.

tru504187211
04-01-05, 08:38 PM
No doubt the forum has the numbers and hits, but then again, what is the number who are 50+ posts?? Don't get me wrong, the idea is incredible -- something with potential big media stories, but people are reallllly cheap.

Sandy
04-01-05, 09:11 PM
You need to get MEDIA coverage, and go public with it, to build awareness of the site/club/message board. THINK BIG

You also have to speak with an attorney regarding securring the porper raffle licenses & permits, etc, etc (and that's not Eldorado Touring Coupe). Make it easy to do - you'll get the same media attention. Do a CTS, with the most popular options. The winner can upgrade, pick color(s) and add other options; if you do not take delivery.
I was a little bit involved in such when our Synagogue raffled off an Allante in 1993. (Dark Green). It's alot of work !!!!!!!!!! Know what you are getting into, before it's too late.

Adam
04-01-05, 09:11 PM
im in. i think it is a good idea. kinda advertise it on the site if you can Sal, like one of our sponsors or even e-mail (i know that would be alot of e mailing but get some of the other mods to help) and e mail all the members (especially active ones).

illumina
04-01-05, 09:21 PM
Charaties you ask? How about something for armed forces verteans? That is always one charity I trust...Oh, count me in when and if the actual collection starts.

Eric2203
04-01-05, 09:37 PM
Wow, best idea ever. Though it might well be a logistical nightmare between people promising to contribute, then not doing it. But count me in.

Ralph
04-01-05, 09:45 PM
How about something for armed forces verteans?

I think that's a VERY GOOD CAUSE!! :thumbsup:

Brett
04-01-05, 10:06 PM
like sandy said look into the licensing, it would be hard to make it work with just our members imo. not to mention these types of auctions arent uncommon, they are in Autoweek all the time, so youd have some competition as well. id be happy to join in, but admins and mods should not be allowed to play

Brett
04-01-05, 10:11 PM
i have seen people auction off/give away leases. a cts lease at say 500 per month x 36 months would require only 360 people to break even and anything more could go to charity. since you could do a one-time payment lease you'd eliminate the rent charge so you could probably do better than 500 per month. the winner would have to pay all applicable taxes. they should definitely be aware of that since with a leased car they wouldnt be able to sell it to pay the taxes. you might get a dealer to give you a decent deal for the publicity and a lifetime supporting vendor subscription.

majax
04-01-05, 10:50 PM
I have thought about that for a few breif seconds before and really it is a gamble. I'd be pretty mad if I lost:o

how could the winner be chosen?

I would go for it

I also don't think we could really support it unless we go really big with the idea.

BeelzeBob
04-02-05, 12:00 AM
Well, I suppose we'd need media attention. That's important. Sandy is right. I have two attorneys in my family, so that should cover me there.. Keep the ideas coming. I appreciate the help. I have two jobs besides maintaining this site and server and that leaves me very little time to do anything. But I'd really like to see this happen. Not only would somebody actually win a Cadillac, but we could donate to a charity and how could that be bad? It seems like a win-win.. I'll just need help...

majax
04-02-05, 12:29 AM
How could we end up donating to charity if we are payinr this car. If we can a way to that'd be great and maybe Cadillac would give us a discount:thumbsup:

what about that taxes:histeric: jk

kingofthe501
04-02-05, 12:39 AM
I think that you should definitley get Cadillac directly involed. Since they are going for the whole "appealing to the younger generations without making it so that everyone can own one", They actually might find it very interesting and an easy cheap way to advertise.

Oh yeah...........count me in, I'll do what I can.

Cris Gonzalez
Las Cruces, NM
(505)635-6434

BeelzeBob
04-02-05, 12:43 AM
How could we end up donating to charity if we are payinr this car. If we can a way to that'd be great and maybe Cadillac would give us a discount:thumbsup:

what about that taxes:histeric: jk
It wouldn't be that difficult. The bulk of the money would actually go toward the vehicle and a small portion would go to charity...

BeelzeBob
04-02-05, 12:45 AM
If it looks like we can get enough people in on this, we'll contact Cadillac about it. Maybe Cadillac and whichever charity we choose will help us get the word out. We'll definitely need some media attention.. Does anyone here specialize in that?

Sandy
04-02-05, 01:10 AM
No No No. Right Street; Wrong Bus!

1. Contact Cadillac Motor Division. We, the members of the on-line Cadillac Site, (our URL) want to raise money for a very worthy chairity. * (see end) by raffling off a CTS. We seek purchase assistence from Cadillac in offering us dealer pricing, minus holdback to purchase a 2006 CTS with the most popular options, in the winner's color choice, from a dealer near the winner's home.

2. If Cadillac will oblidge (they did with the Synagogue's Allante) then the "club" sells tickets to all of the message board users under the guise of a Raffle (DO NOT USE THE WORD L O T T E R Y ! ! !)

3. The realization of the awarding of the price only takes effect upon the raffle ticket sales exceeding the club's cost of the Cadillac.
The ultimate winner of the car pays the tax. I believe that the club pays no tax because it's for a chairity, tax free, and the club never actually takes possession of the car. The monies collected then go to the chairity, after the car is paid for by the club.

4. I don't recall everything, it's been 12 years since that Allante. Hard to recall all of the details.

5. ** As for the chairity, I suggest to select NOT one of the usual "big 5" most popular. My son is in college and works to raise money for an exceptional exceptional chairity. Danny Thomas' "UP 'Til Dawn" chairity. It's for very ill children, children who have a 50/50 chance of making it, but whose parents don't have the needed money to spend for their treatments & care. They accept all kids, regardless of race or religion. They truly move monutains, and perform miracles!
I think you can find them on the web. You have not heard of them, because they spend none of their precious money on advertising, as it takes money away from THE children. Only a heartfelt suggestion........Here 'ya go:-
http://www.sju.edu/uptildawn/Pages/About%20UTD.html

BeelzeBob
04-02-05, 01:23 AM
This is great information, Sandy. Thank you.. I like everything you're saying.. So the first step is to get enough people in on this to make it possible.. Right? Because without the people, it can't happen.. Would Cadillac help out in that respect? Probably not. Right?

CadiJeff
04-02-05, 01:26 AM
I would be interested but i suggest throwing in a supporting member title for the purchase.

illumina
04-02-05, 01:31 AM
1000 people may be hard to come by, but would the $50.00 be a minimun for participation? Or would that be a fixed donation for everyone who gets in on it? Either way, with enough people, it is a great idea...Especially if there is a Cadillac give-away with my name on the keys :D

Sandy
04-02-05, 01:51 AM
I would offer 1 ticket for $50.00 & 2 tickets for $80.00. Perhaps 5 for $175.00. The focus herein needs to be on the CHARITY ! Cadillac could give a rat's rump if somebody wins a CTS. It's one (non profit) sale for them, it's the good will toward a CHILDREN's chairity !! Dig?
There are other things that are cloudy in my mind from that Allante, but Sal would have to open a bank account for the proceedes, and the chosen charity needs to be alerted and a relationship between them and us needs to be established. Usually it's demanded that a guaranteed amount will be given to the selected reciever. Not much good in raising $50,000 for the car and a total raised of $50,124. netting the charity $124.00. Looking very fishy!
I'd suggest a sit down with one of those lawyers who might be more familiar with the legalities of it all, than I am.

Playdrv4me
04-02-05, 01:58 AM
Well I think there is definitely no downside to this and dont see a reason not to pursue it thoroughly!

Its a win for everyone. A free Cadillac for a lucky winner, getting to deal directly with Cadillac, NOTARIETY for our beloved forum, AND get to help a great charity in the process! What more could you ask for!

davesdeville
04-02-05, 04:52 AM
This has a snowballs chance in hell of working. Remember the Cadillac auctions section? I'm not in since I don't have $50 to blow on buying someone I probably don't know, and if it went to say Sinister Angel I'd have to kill someone.

The answer to the question you posed in the title is NO.

Sorry.

Brett
04-02-05, 09:29 AM
for the best chance at some type of media coverage the charity should be related to the troops in some form

Elvis
04-02-05, 10:25 AM
http://www.bataviarotaryraffle.com/

$50 X 3,000 tickets = $150,000

That leaves plenty of money left over to donate to charity.

We only need to sell around 800 tickets to break even.

Sandy
04-02-05, 02:03 PM
This has a snowballs chance in hell of working. Remember the Cadillac auctions section? I'm not in since I don't have $50 to blow on buying someone I probably don't know, and if it went to say Sinister Angel I'd have to kill someone.

The answer to the question you posed in the title is NO.

Sorry.

Dave, I've personally witnessed it work, for both synagogues and churches in my area! ~ But then again the $100. or so, might have been $$$ that the benefactors might have given freely, even IF there was NO raffle for a nice car, and the chance of winning it was just the cherry on top of the cake.....
as a matter of fact a church I drive past daily does it once a year, every year, as does the synagogue I belong to. This year's car is a a Lincoln Town Car Signature, Light Blue. At one point I was on the finance committee and in THAT year it netted $50,000 profit after the car was bought!
Again, people tend to give more freely to a religious institution than to a Cadillac Club....... You don't know if you don;t try......

Eric2203
04-02-05, 03:23 PM
Might be a little preposterous, but why not ask bbob if he can mention this to someone at Cadillac ? Nothing to lose by asking...

Brett
04-02-05, 04:33 PM
i agree with sandy, i think its definitely doable, since ive seen plenty of these before. i just think it would take some good word of mouth to get it going, just the members here wont be able to buy enough tickets imo

Sandy
04-02-05, 06:36 PM
People who are on this board who are ASLO on OTHER car-boards, could maybe announce it on the OTHER boards. I am (of course) also on "THE" Town Car board, and I know many on there would buy a ticket. Many of them, like I, own both a Lincoln & a Caddy, right Stony ??

Elvis
04-02-05, 11:22 PM
There's only one important piece of the puzzle missing.

501 (c) 3

LuvCads
04-03-05, 05:45 AM
I'd love to participate in a contest like that. I'd love to park another Caddy next to my '87 Coupe DeVille. If I could pick the Cad to give away, I'd pick an Eldorado Touring Coupe or an Escalade. If the choice was to go older, than I'd have to pick an LT1 Fleetwood Brougham, limo-tinted in jet black...all I can say is "SIGN ME UP" for this give-away!!!

90Brougham350
04-03-05, 01:15 PM
So supposing this thing actually gets off the ground, this could be the best thing that ever happened to this forum. Also, I like the odds of winning. $50 for a 1 in 3000 chance.........or $1 for a 1 in 180,000,000 chance! The idea of giving to a charity as well could really be great publicity. I think it could actually work, but with Cadillac's help.

Brian

cruzajc1
04-03-05, 01:28 PM
I'm in, email me when the details are set. The thing about something like this is that they just want to know it's legitimate and want to know where to send the money. Either way, count me in. Just make it a CTS-V please or an STS-V

agustinjcruz@bellsouth.net
229-249-0062

bbozsik
04-04-05, 04:14 AM
Why does this smack of an elaborate April Fool's joke? After shelling out 50 bucks, the winner gets a picture of Captain Sal aboard his new small yacht with the name "My Favorite Charity".:lildevil:

Either way, I'm in.

Elvis
04-04-05, 11:07 AM
The Human Fund

turbojimmy
04-04-05, 11:26 AM
If you figure it all out, I'm in. I think there are reasons you only see the actual charities sponsoring these types of things, tho.

Jim

90Brougham350
04-04-05, 12:49 PM
I am extremely interested. I just hope this has the potential to actually take off. Maybe this should be a sticky. I don't want it to go away! I wanna win a Caddy, dammit! Plus, that warm fuzzy feeling you get when you give money to charity instead of spending it at taco bell is nice!

Brian

Groo-V
04-04-05, 05:56 PM
Besides Cadillac, I would imagine we could get one of the dealers or forum vendors to get involved with something like this to help defray the costs, get them some great PR and leave more for charity. Plus they all have PR people that can help with the leg work.

I think the veteran's idea is a great one. I'm also a big contributor to Susan G. Komen Breast cancer foundation as well. My wife survived it.

Definitely count me in.

MEJIA
04-04-05, 11:08 PM
I'm in, the idea is awesome.

I agree with Steve,

Excellent idea indeed...

Mejia

davesdeville
04-05-05, 01:28 AM
OK I'll take the $1 for a tiny chance.. I got a $5 coupon book from Carls JR today because the proceeds go to the fund at UNM hospital for people who can't pay their medical bills. That's a disadvantage if you're poor and drive a nice Caddy, people think you have money and try to sell you stuff.

powerglide
04-05-05, 07:56 AM
Its worth a try. (its alot of work though)

Get sponsors to help pay for the prize, they'll want a return by way of marketing (media), it'll raise the profile of this forum big time. On the downside it will draw in a slew of folks just lookin to get a free caddy (nothin else), bandwidth spike.

Need a lawyer, there's gonna be trouble.....I bet there are professional 'scammers' who do nothing but look for loopholes or ways to manipulate the system.

But, a good idea is a good idea! I'll be in.

90Brougham350
04-18-05, 04:26 PM
Been about 2 weeks since the last post, just figured I'd ask if anything had begun to take shape yet?

Brian

Xrayqueen
04-18-05, 10:32 PM
It's going to be difficult and I don't want to start anything unless we're confident we can actually make it happen. I don't want to find myself sending out $25k in refunds at one point or another.. Let's all work on the details.. Maybe a certain percentage would simply go to a charity we all agree upon, and then the bulk would go to an actual vehicle.. We'll have to see how many people will participate to feel-out which car we'll be going for. Still, I think this is a great idea and, to my knowledge, it's never happened on a forum before.. The "idea" may have happened, but the actual "car" never happened.. I'm sure that's enough to prove how difficult this will be...

What happened to the Krispy Kreme Idea :hmm:
Peace :confused:

Roswell256
04-19-05, 05:37 PM
OMG I'd be in sooooo fast....As long as I can buy more than one ticket.... I want like 3 or 4 to increase my odds...and the longer the collection goes...the more tickets I'll buy.

I'm IN

fast66
04-19-05, 06:57 PM
I'm in.

addison_ii
04-19-05, 11:16 PM
Well I am currently a 1month member and I wouldn't mind contributing to this cause as seeing that I plan becoming a supporting member, sometime soon. Thanks to this site I have received a lot of stress relieving info.