: I broke it!!

clemtony
10-10-03, 04:46 PM
YO..Greetings all. I found you while looking for solutions to my problem. My '92 Saville is giving me grief. I noticed my engine temp to be consistently over 210 F so I went thru some fan checks. In the process of checking all fuses and relays. I noticed some corrosion in the large fuse block so I cleaned it up but I must have done something I shouldn't. After reassembling when I turned the key on to the first notch where I had power to accessories, the 2 fans came on and stayed on. Next I noticed my temp display to read -- instead of a number. Went back into the engine to see if I left something disconnected.....no. Removed + side of batt for about 10 minutes to try a reset of computers. No change. Next I took the car around the block. Here I noticed the trans not shifting unless I ran the rpms up. Noticed when I took my foot off the gas pedal that the trans seemed to disconnect from the engine as the RPM's dropped to idle. Checked this site for info on reading codes and I got a couple of E and I 's both Current and History but the "ECM?" looks like the message of importance. Going out to buy a repair manual to see what it says. I'm thinking I damaged a computer in my screwing around. What do you think??? Tony

Katshot
10-10-03, 05:46 PM
Welcome aboard Tony.
To be honest, you've already proven that "playing" with your car can be costly. Do yourself a favor and take it to a real mechanic. Feel free to ask what they did and try get some info about the system(s) affected but, in the end it'll probably be cheaper to get a pro to look at it.

elwesso
10-10-03, 08:33 PM
Welcome aboard...... Thanks for signing up......

I agree with Kevin.... Take it too a place where they can hook it up to computer diagnosis..... It will be much cheaper than trying to hit and miss with a FSM......

I hope this is lesson learned.... You must be very carful when messing with the electrical stuff on such an advanced car....!

2dfx
10-11-03, 12:57 AM
Why is this in North* forums? 92 Seville's were 4.9 powered.

Beyond this, the ECM? message is a prompt silly! When the computer is finished running through diagnostics, it prompts that so you can run readouts of various sensors or clear the codes.

Do us a favor. Record those codes you got and post them back here. Either I or another forum member would be more than happy to get the meanings of those codes for you and possible save you time and money by doing it yourself.

clemtony
10-11-03, 08:57 AM
[Kevin n Snipes n 2dfx......Thanks for the quick replies. Take it to a pro? Not yet! I have just begun to fight! I picked up the repair manual and was able to interpret the codes....a little. When I did a 'clear codes' in the ECM the fans shut off temporarily. When I was initially looking for a fan problem I thought the ECT sensor plug was a bit ratty and one of the codes indicates an open sensor. I'll try putting a variable resistor on the plug side and see if ECM recognizes it. Thanks for taking the time to give me some direction. I will let you know how I resolve this. Excellent site for Caddy wanna-be mechanics.

elwesso
10-11-03, 10:51 AM
Why is this in North* forums? 92 Seville's were 4.9 powered.

Beyond this, the ECM? message is a prompt silly! When the computer is finished running through diagnostics, it prompts that so you can run readouts of various sensors or clear the codes.

Do us a favor. Record those codes you got and post them back here. Either I or another forum member would be more than happy to get the meanings of those codes for you and possible save you time and money by doing it yourself.
If you must know, I made a little boo-boo...... Chuck C should be coming by any time (hint hint) to correct it.......