: Revshift Transmission Mount Vibrations

SupertreyG
09-02-13, 11:42 AM
I installed the blue Revshift motor mounts last week and the transmission block yesterday. After installing the motor mounts, there was no appreciable difference in vibration or sound.

After installing the transmission block, I have noticed a small, but tolerable, increase in sound. At idle in neutral, it is like you can here transmission spinning. Under full throttle it is a noticeable increase. At highway speed, there doesn't seem to be that much difference though, just when accelerating or idling.

Is this sort of increase in sound and vibration normal? I assume it is, since the connection to the transmission is more "solid" and the transmission mount and cross member tie directly to the bottom of the car.

Anyone have any experience with this?

HAMSTAR
09-02-13, 12:13 PM
Yes, it's normal. Fuzzylogic reports his excessive vibrations went away over time. However, for myself they have stayed about the same. I find it completely tolerable given the improved shift feel and drivetrain alignment.

Becker
09-02-13, 12:51 PM
Would installing some sound deadening material in the shifter area help or not?

SupertreyG
09-11-13, 04:37 PM
I decided to order the Creative Steel mount. They don't have the "Caddy-soft" that I found in some earlier threads anymore, but they have a new mount that is 40 hardness vs the 80 hardness of the Revshift.

Everyone has different tolerance for the vibration, and I must have a low tolerance, at least based on my use of the car.

I will post back here when I have the CS mount installed and give a report.

SupertreyG
09-14-13, 04:00 PM
I few words about the Creative Steel mount. It appears to be good quality in its construction. The polyurethane is softer, it gives a little when I push on it hard with my fingernail, the Revshift I couldn't make an indention. This is logical as the CS mount is 40 hardness and the Revshift is 80. The holes properly aligned with the transmission and the studs on the bottom were straight, aligned easily in the support and had plenty of length.

PLEASE NOTE: I am not saying the Revshift is a poor product or inferior construction! I am completely satisfied with their motor mounts and am considering using some of their bushings.

I installed the the transmission mount and tested it out. The quality of the shifting is still good and it goes into reverse easily. There are no new or noticeable vibrations, similar to the revshift once it "broke in."

The biggest difference is in the sound. There is no more spinning sound from the transmission or gear clicking sounds as I mentioned in my earlier post. The car is much quieter throughout the RPM range, though not back to the Cadillac quiet with the original mount. I can hear the radio better at highway speeds and don't have any reverberating or droning sounds.

The important thing is that, for my use, it is quiet enough. I think I had realistic expectations. I did not expect to obtain stock sound levels, but rather reduce the noise to a level tolerable to me. If this was a pure play car or a track car these would not have been issues for me. The CS mount gave me a good blend of accurate shifting and low noise/vibration levels.

Hope this helps anyone debating the two and what they are using it for!

V-twin
09-14-13, 04:51 PM
Thanks for the review. I'll probably be doing motor/tranny mounts soon, so this is helpful!