: 97 SLS Dash Kit, custom?

morroccoz1
04-01-05, 01:39 AM
I don't get it. I cannot find a dash kit to put an aftermarket HU in my 97 SLS, but I was browsing on cardomain, and see pics where people have done it. Apparently there are people out there who do custom jobs but who?

I have amps and subs, but the sound from the factory head unit just does not get it. Not that it is bad, but I want better quality. There has to be a way.

Deville n J-ville
04-01-05, 03:09 PM
I do these cars all the time at work, and Metra makes a kit. Part number 99-2005.

D148L0
04-01-05, 03:15 PM
I do these cars all the time at work, and Metra makes a kit. Part number 99-2005.
Welcome to the forums, Glad to have you on board.

Deville n J-ville
04-01-05, 09:07 PM
Welcome to the forums, Glad to have you on board.

Thank you very much.

morroccoz1
04-02-05, 01:26 AM
Why then when you put the car in on metras site, they don't give you any options? I saw a link to one on e-bay this alarm place is selling also. Someone had the same question as I did and was given a link to that site.

My radio is that oblong shaped deal, same thing you are thinking right?

Anyway if either of them work, besides the harness I need to tap into the factory wiring, do you have any idea what I'd need to get the steering wheel controls to work. There is like a pac harness or something right?

Deville n J-ville
04-02-05, 08:39 AM
I don't know why they haven't updated their kit finder with the new kits that they have come out with in the last couple of years. Instead, use this chart: http://metraonline.com/metrachart/metraapchart%20webpage.htm

It appears that it is up to date with most of the new stuff.

As for the steering wheel controls, PAC does make a piece but I do not know the model # off hand. It should be somewhere on this page: http://www.pac-audio.com/products/swi.htm Hope this helps.

RealmCenter
04-02-05, 02:36 PM
Deville, you do custom stereo installation work? If so can I pick your brain with a radio interchangeability question?

Deville n J-ville
04-02-05, 02:50 PM
Deville, you do custom stereo installation work? If so can I pick your brain with a radio interchangeability question?

Sure. I'll help if I can, or at least let you know what to look for.

RealmCenter
04-02-05, 03:07 PM
Okay than here goes. I have currently a completely stock stereo system in my 1997 STS Non Bose (12 disc changer) cassette deck head unit. I want to switch to this head unit.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=7965033869&category=38640
I like the RDS feature and would like to have a CD in dash as well as the changer. I know a straigt swap over would not work because this is a Bose head unit. Since the stock speakers in my car suck anyhow I was going to replace the 6.5s in the door and the 6x9s in the parcel shelf with Infinity Kappa 3 way speakers and power all four speakers with a 4-channel HIFonics Zeus 85watts x4 RMS. So in essence all I want the head unit to do is act as a reciver/tuner and send the speaker signals out, it does not need to provide any amplification whatsoever. Is this feasible? I don't really want to buy the radio without knowing for sure if it would work or not.
Thanks! Darren

Deville n J-ville
04-02-05, 08:57 PM
First things first...... is the plug in your car the same as the plug in the pic?

morroccoz1
04-03-05, 01:21 AM
Deville,
I am finding a 99-2004 that fits a 96-99 Deville and like a 99-01 Caterra on some sites where I can order it but cannot find the 99-2005 except on the chart where you led me. Is there anywhere that I can order the 2005?
This is the one right? for a 97 Seville? I have not found anything with a picture.

morroccoz1
04-04-05, 01:57 AM
I'm chomping at the bit here.

Deville n J-ville
04-04-05, 07:58 PM
Deville,
I am finding a 99-2004 that fits a 96-99 Deville and like a 99-01 Caterra on some sites where I can order it but cannot find the 99-2005 except on the chart where you led me. Is there anywhere that I can order the 2005?
This is the one right? for a 97 Seville? I have not found anything with a picture.

Sorry, but I don't really do a lot of shopping online so I wouldn't know where to tell you where to get one at. But as far as I know thats the right one.

Maybe the best thing to do is to pick one up locally.

morroccoz1
04-05-05, 01:19 AM
I appreciate the help. I am like all excited about the fact that I might be able to swap out the HU, and just wanted to be sure before I got into dreaming too hard about what I want. The number on that (99-2005) does the 2005 indicate that it came out this year? possibly the reason that I could not find it last year?

STS 310
04-05-05, 06:07 PM

Welcome Deville n J ville.

I would venture a guess and say that youve yanked out the stock HU and replaced ALL components with aftermarket gear.

My question is, how many times have you kept the stock HU and used a line driver to boost the Bose signal to use aftermarket amplifiers. And if so what are some of the results as far as SQ?

This board has seen varing results to all degrees as far as feedback would indicate.

morroccoz1
04-06-05, 01:34 AM
I found the 99-2005 on a site www.installer.com (http://www.installer.com), but it says that it fits a 96 Eldo.....same thing as a 97 Seville? As you can see, there is no picture or application for a Seville.

Deville n J-ville
04-08-05, 03:40 PM
I found the 99-2005 on a site www.installer.com (http://www.installer.com/), but it says that it fits a 96 Eldo.....same thing as a 97 Seville? As you can see, there is no picture or application for a Seville.

I'm fairly certain that that is it. That's why I say you should get it locally, that way you can go to the shop with the radio out and match the kit up before you leave.

Deville n J-ville
04-08-05, 03:51 PM
Welcome Deville n J ville.

I would venture a guess and say that youve yanked out the stock HU and replaced ALL components with aftermarket gear.

My question is, how many times have you kept the stock HU and used a line driver to boost the Bose signal to use aftermarket amplifiers. And if so what are some of the results as far as SQ?

This board has seen varing results to all degrees as far as feedback would indicate.

Thanks.

Actually I just got the car, and all I've done so far is to install the HU/DVD/XM, and put the alarm/RS in.

As for keeping the stock HU and adding aftermarket amps and speakers, I've seen different setups produce different results. I think the most important thing when you do something like this is to make sure you get a quality hi/lo impedance adapter. Something like Audiocontrol's LC6 (I believe thats the one...I don't carry Audiocontrol) or JL Audio has a new piece out called Clean Sweep that has gotten rave reviews. You cant expect to have great SQ when you're adding a $20 hi/lo adapter, so make that the one thing that you definately don't skimp on. The pieces I mentioned are a little pricey but if you're definately going to keep the stock radio, then that is the way that I would go.

D148L0
04-08-05, 05:15 PM
Thanks.

Actually I just got the car, and all I've done so far is to install the HU/DVD/XM, and put the alarm/RS in.

As for keeping the stock HU and adding aftermarket amps and speakers, I've seen different setups produce different results. I think the most important thing when you do something like this is to make sure you get a quality hi/lo impedance adapter. Something like Audiocontrol's LC6 (I believe thats the one...I don't carry Audiocontrol) or JL Audio has a new piece out called Clean Sweep that has gotten rave reviews. You cant expect to have great SQ when you're adding a $20 hi/lo adapter, so make that the one thing that you definately don't skimp on. The pieces I mentioned are a little pricey but if you're definately going to keep the stock radio, then that is the way that I would go.
Absolutely! :thumbsup:
I have said the same thing lots of times...
Personally, I don't like to mix cadillac factory/aftermarket if the goal is to get the best SQ possible. But if you just want a decent upgrade, at least get the best adapter you can get. There are several members here waiting for the Clean Sweep now...
Man, I could have used your support a few months ago...

STS 310
04-08-05, 05:23 PM
Justs got done reading on the "Cleansweep". Very nice. I will go that route most definately.

RealmCenter
04-09-05, 02:29 PM
Clean sweep, how much is this and where can I get one?

STS 310
04-11-05, 04:43 PM
I think JL audio listed May 05 as a release date.

http://www.jlaudio.com/press/CleanSweep05.html