: Crappy 90 Brougham Acoustics?

Bishop
03-31-05, 10:27 PM
I have my stereo system set up...my 6x9s capped, my 4x6s capped, but heaven forbid my two 10s (low end but great quality in my other vehicle [fifth avenue chrysler]) make even a thump noise. I pop the trunk and they are blaring away, but in the front seats, you can hardly hear it? What's the secret to getting your subwoofers heard? Bigger amp and woofs? Different placement? Cut something out?

Any suggestions, please!

Brad VV
03-31-05, 11:14 PM
I have the same problem with my 91 Brougham. Sitting inside, I can somewhat feel the bass, but when I lean over and pop the trunk, It sounds incredible....but you can't drive around with the trunk lid open...:) I don't know if the box needs to be ported or what.

Brad

90Brougham350
04-01-05, 06:15 PM
Well, I don't have any subs, but I suppose you could try taking the rear deck shelf out. Our Broughams are a little easier to do this on as compared to the 93+ models, this might help. Then again, you might want D14780's opinion.

Brian

AElayyat
04-01-05, 11:01 PM
I've got the same problem, and I have 2 12" JL's. I was told that on these cars (80-92 RWD Caddys) the rear deck should some how have a large port cut out so that the bass could fill the car and not just stay in the trunk.

Big_Blue
04-01-05, 11:21 PM
I removed the 6x9's and put 6 1/2 inch speakers beside the third brake light top mounted ( made a new opening for them). I took 6x9 speaker grills and remove the original card board covering the old 6x9 to allow better air but cover them so people dont see holes in the deck. From the outside it looks as if I have 4 speakers in the rear but only the middle ones work. Bass has improved greatly but until I can get a custom port box to port threw the old 6x9 holes it works fine.

No matter what someone tells ya 6 1/2 speakers sound hella better then 6x9's when used for mids and highs (4 ch amp needed)

Bishop
04-04-05, 04:38 PM
any other suggestions?

cmgrafmc
04-05-05, 05:31 AM
The problem you're having is a testament to Cadillac design: It was so heavily soundproofed so that you don't have to listen to that guy screaming in your trunk all the way out to the woods.

Bishop
04-06-05, 10:34 PM
hahahahahahahah

D148L0
04-07-05, 12:06 PM
Well, I don't have any subs, but I suppose you could try taking the rear deck shelf out. Our Broughams are a little easier to do this on as compared to the 93+ models, this might help. Then again, you might want D14780's opinion.

Brian
Thanks, Brian!
I'll do a full explanation later today, or tomorrow. I'm having a crazy week... :bonkers:

Bishop
04-10-05, 09:07 PM
looking forward! i've been going nuts trying to figure out what to do!

Big_Blue
04-10-05, 09:36 PM
I am very curious to know what other ways to get better sound out of caddy beside the way I explained that noone else seems to like or getting a custom port box built.

Bishop
04-11-05, 05:39 PM
I am very curious to know what other ways to get better sound out of caddy beside the way I explained that noone else seems to like or getting a custom port box built.

it just seems like too big of a hassle and i'm hoping for a simple alternative other than designing boxes to put behind my seats, which is what i was going to do.

D148L0
04-11-05, 06:41 PM
Actually, most of what I suggest is more or less the same as you did. I wanted to extend a little on the reasons WHY it works.
As you, I removed the 6x9 speakers and leave the holes covered by the stock carpet (no rear deck speakers for me, thanks), and placed a single 12" in a sealed box facing backwards since my system is sound quality rather than SPL oriented (been there, done that). The bass is deep and solid, and louder than what you'd expect from a single 12" powered with only 400 watts RMS.

Of course, with a similar wattage a ported box will sound louder, but only at a certain range. The rest of the low frecuencies will be diminished if compared with a sealed box.

Since you want to make a custom box and seem to look for a louder low end, I'd suggest a bandpass enclosure where the opening portion is calculated to, AND uses the 6x9 holes while being completely sealed and isolated from the rest of the trunk. That, Big_blue, would be really cool.

Scandalous
04-12-05, 01:42 AM
i just drop my glass and my 2 MTX 12s on 1000 watts hit hard as hell