: '98 deville idle

M&N
03-31-05, 08:18 PM
I read an earlier post by BOB on a rough idle for a 98 sts...very interesting, which leads to my question. My '98 runs great but I noticed while in drive or reverse I can feel the engine in the steering wheel. After warm up it typically idles at about 625/650/675...fluctuating which I assume is normal since its a digital read. In netrual and/or park the idle of course is higher and is extremly smooth...no feel in the steering wheel. So, is 650rpm correct for idle speed in drive and is the feeling in the steering wheel normal and just the age of the vehicle? Would the feeling be from the trans being in gear and be normal? I typically drive an 04 F350 for work and catch myself shifting to netural when driving the deville and stopped at a red light...etc. Everyones opinion would be appreciaed.

M&N
04-02-05, 07:21 AM
OK, I checked the specs, +/- 50rpm. 550 to 650 RPM at idle is good. Still think it should be smoother while in drive and stopped. As mentioned ealier, my 04 diesel is smoother while idling and in drive. Any thoughts??

mcowden
04-02-05, 11:58 AM
I would search the forums for throttle body cleaning and start with that. Disconnect the battery for 30 seconds when you're done to reset the idle calibration. If the accelerator pedal feels a little sticky sometimes, a crudded-up throttle body could be the problem and cleaning it should solve the issue.