: Power Steering Underbelly pics, #%#^% mess!!!

carguy16
03-31-05, 08:19 PM
I had a neighbor who is an ASE certified mechanic come over and look at my car, I drove it up the ramp, with some difficulty. I couldnt get it up there, and was scared to take down the garage door of drive over the ramp completely, finally got the thing up there, after spinning the tires a little bit. Suprisingly, both wheels, while in drive, spun, there are skid marks from both tires, and you can see on the tires where they spun on the pavement.

The leak is a mess, taking a look under the lift, EVERYTHING is covered in power steering fluid! :bighead: On the top of the gear box, below the ABS pump, the top is covered in fluid. Sides of the engine are covered in fluid, and the passenger side engine compartment, the last spark plug wire is covered in power steering fluid!!:want:

Take a look at the pictures yourself, its covered in fluid, Im going to have to clean it all up some how, is this a fire hazard? Im just worried it may take out some other components...

My neighbor said it might be leaking out from the back of the pump, I dont know where its leaking from. It does leak DIRECTLY below the ABS pump, and some how the fluid transfer over to the passenger side, even when the car is parked and the wheel is turned, what a ****ing mess!!! :rant2: :helpless: The local shop costs $60.00 an hour for labor, but I have no idea how long it will take for this repair, what is the exact cause of the leak and how much parts will be.

Some how PS fluid got on the tranny cooler lines, or else my tranny fluid may be starting to seep through, there was a post about this on the Impala SS forums a couple days ago, I dont know how fluid could get over there, it looks to me like it slops down, the fluid would then have to run up, and nothing else in the area seems to have fluid on it.

N0DIH
03-31-05, 08:51 PM
On a positive note, the car will never rust again!

It it makes you feel better, my 301 Turbo Trans AM rear main seal was gone, I could put the car on ramps and out would pour out the back of the pan.

It used to drip off the rear bumper. It took me 16 quarts of oil to get from St. Louis to Wash DC and back....

But was that engine clean on the inside!!!!

brougham
03-31-05, 09:01 PM
Are you sure all of that is because of leaky power steering fluid? Take it to a shop and get them to find out where the leak is coming from. If your neighbour is a mechanic and he doesn't know where it's coming from probably no one here can tell you either.

carguy16
03-31-05, 09:09 PM
He is retired, he is at least 65-75 years of age, but an active man none the less.

Its such a mess under the hood I have no idea where to look, everything is just covered in fluid, it could be leaking and I wouldnt know it. I dont even know how the hell it could get everywhere, id expect it to drip down on the ground. How ever, it is under pressure so I'd assume it could squirt.

But, if you recall BEFORE I changed the fluid, or added any, my reservoir was spitting fluid out. Could this be a sign of malfunction in the system some where?
What do you mean, "are you sure that is because of a power steering fluid leak?" Please explain, Im not sure what your getting id, this isnt sarcasm either, I would like to know what you, more details the better, thanks!!!

Are you sure all of that is because of leaky power steering fluid? Take it to a shop and get them to find out where the leak is coming from. If your neighbour is a mechanic and he doesn't know where it's coming from probably no one here can tell you either.

ocjmakaveli
03-31-05, 10:13 PM
how can you not now where it si leaking from though when you move the tires you will definitely see squirting or dripping from a specific area just keep turning it until you see where it is leaking dont put it on ramps no need for that and if you know the lines aren't leaking and it's leaking from where the powersteering pump is at then remove it and check for leaks at the lines like worn out one's etc.

Try to pinpoint it to a general area and replace those parts and connections.