: Removed Caster Plugs?

xpympx
03-31-05, 05:02 PM
Has anyone here ever removed their caster plugs? If so, was there any reason for doing so? How likely is it to cause a crack there and break the seal and allow coolant in? I saw it yesterday and had never seen it before and could not believe what I was looking at.

X

zonie77
04-01-05, 10:08 AM
Do you mean the oil plug? Where are you located?

xpympx
04-01-05, 11:24 AM
I'm located in Kansas City and I actually mean casting plugs. Sorry!!

X

BeelzeBob
04-01-05, 03:36 PM
uhh...What are you talking about...??? What "casting plug" are you referencing and on what kind of engine..??

klebrun
04-02-05, 11:04 PM
I have been told by some that what are commonly referred to as freeze plugs are actually casting plugs. Not put there to prevent a cracked block, but put there to fill the holes after the block casting process. Is that what you are talking about xpympx? By the way, welcome to the forum fellow Kansas Citian. :thumbsup:

xpympx
04-05-05, 09:08 AM
yes, that is what i am talking about.next time i do a head gasket on one, i will take a pic. thank for the welcome to the forum by the way

lundperformance
04-06-05, 01:56 PM
They are traditionally called freeze plugs but the actual purpose for their existence is for the casting process. They are supposed to "push out" in the event that the coolant in an engine freezes and not let the block crack. They aren't fool-proof however and I've seen blocks crack even after the plugs got popped out. Its amazing how much pressure water generates as it freezes and expands.

Can literally knock the side off a mountain if you drill holes into the rock and fill them with water and have it freeze overnight. Used to be used in mining up north.