: Honda S2000 engine discussion

Devil_concours
02-08-03, 09:41 PM
ah all these talks of high output sbc reminds me of the discussion i had with a local ricer who was telling everyone that s2000's 2l 4banger is the most efficient engine and then he started telling ppl that current ls1/6 is an ancient engine because it's a pushrod engine which was used in 60s.
I educated him that day why his theory doesn't hold as i explained to him throughly that efficiency in the ls6 cannot be questioned.

Brett
02-08-03, 09:44 PM
Originally posted by Devil_concours
ah all these talks of high output sbc reminds me of the discussion i had with a local ricer who was telling everyone that s2000's 2l 4banger is the most efficient engine and then he started telling ppl that current ls1/6 is an ancient engine because it's a pushrod engine which was used in 60s.
I educated him that day why his theory doesn't hold as i explained to him throughly that efficiency in the ls6 cannot be questioned.

just because its old tech doesnt mean its bad...pistons have been around since the beginning but the S2000 uses those...youd think they would use something more hi-tech:rolleyes:

Devil_concours
02-08-03, 09:49 PM
not only does s2000 trade off fuel efficiency for higher output but it's not so pleasant to drive around in with its peaky powerband.

Brett
02-08-03, 09:54 PM
not only does s2000 trade off fuel efficiency for higher output but it's not so pleasant to drive around in with its peaky powerband.

the s2000 would probably be the best application for a hi-performance CVT...since it could keep it in the high rpm area alot more

Devil_concours
02-08-03, 09:59 PM
Originally posted by Brett
the s2000 would probably be the best application for a hi-performance CVT...since it could keep it in the high rpm area alot more
it probably will. But honda's manual transmissions are known to be quick and nice so i don't know how many people will actually pay few grand more to get the cvt.

Brett
02-08-03, 10:14 PM
it probably will. But honda's manual transmissions are known to be quick and nice so i don't know how many people will actually pay few grand more to get the cvt.

agreed...but it would still be a perfect application for it

Elvis
02-09-03, 09:03 PM
As somewhat of a Honda officionado, I can understand why the guy might think that the S2000 engine is the "most efficient" ever.

What he's probably referring to is the "horsepower to cubic inch" ratio. It's impressive, but there's a lot more to performance than just horsepower.

There's no replacement for displacement.

Devil_concours
02-09-03, 11:53 PM
in terms of efficiency i think the ls6 is one of the best in the world. Gobs of hp and torque, good powerband, good gas mileage, all out of technology that has matured over long period of time.

shoot if you want to check out some performance then check out the street legal twinturbo 427 vette by lingenfelter
they just ran sub9sec 1/4mi. Megazines tested this car to do 0-60 in 1.97sec.

kcnewell
02-10-03, 12:05 AM
Ricers! Tell him to go buy some more hair dye and think it through a little more thoroughly and get back to you when he's got some more brain cells to work with!

Elvis
02-11-03, 12:03 PM
Here's a pertinent article.

http://www.cncmagazine.com/v4i12/v4i12b.htm

In stock trim, the Honda S2000 has the highest power-per-liter ratio of any naturally aspirated production automobile in the world, generating more than 240 horsepower from a mere two liters. What makes this even more impressive is that Honda achieved such performance while meeting California’s stringent Low-Emission Vehicle (LEV) standards.