: Dead horse Alert... Re-iteration that Pontiac and Buick "could" be on chopping block.

Playdrv4me
03-30-05, 06:06 PM
Survivor: Buick vs. Pontiac Comment from GM exec raises speculation that one -- or both -- of the venerable makes could go away. (http://money.cnn.com/2005/03/29/Autos/buick_pontiac_future/index.htm)

"...At an analysts' conference last week, GM Vice Chairman Bob Lutz said both lines are "damaged" and that dropping one of the venerable names -- both date back more than a century -- was possible unless there's a turnaround. "

Denial... it aint just a River in Egypt...
..."GM officials have tried to backtrack somewhat on Lutz's comment, saying there are no plans to drop a brand and that he was only answering a question about a hypothetical. They say they're confident the brands will get the investment needed to grow."

Also, I usually look to Edmunds for solid car advice since people tend to berate Car and Driver and Road and Track for being "anti-domestic" and even they are speculating Buick will go.

(Forgive me for stealing your format HRS :p )

Kev
03-30-05, 06:16 PM
Who will win at the next Tribal Counsel? Tune in next week to find out boys and girls. And remember, your vote counts so, which one will be voted off?

Pontiac? Buick?

Buy your vote today!

Sandy
03-30-05, 06:52 PM
I like what some guy in New Jersey did. He owns a rather large manufacturing corporation. If you buy a Ford or General Motors new car or truck between April 15th and December 15, and submit to him a photocopy of a registration for it in your name, you will get a $1,000 Christmas bonus next Dec. 20th. Buyers of any other brands, get their usual bonus. It only includes Chevy, Pont. Buick, Caddy, Saturn, Ford, Mecury & Lincoln. No Volvo, Mazda, Isuzu, Subaru, Jaguar, Aston Martin nor Saab.
This applies only to his companies employees ~

Ralph
03-30-05, 07:07 PM
Looked at Ions today, and my salesman buddy said he didn't hear anything about Saturn's future so I'm guessing it will be around for a while.

Playdrv4me
03-30-05, 07:13 PM
Yea ive never thought Saturn is going anywhere. My big thing about Pontiac and Saturn is that they have potential. Buick MIGHT have potential too, but it wouldnt be as easy to turn around and Saturn and Pontiac. Pontiac could literally almost take the brand equivolent of a dump and pop out two or even three terrific performance cars at affordable prices. Saturn could be infused with product from Opel or Holden and revitalize its entire standing with products that in the U.S. are still unique to it. Buick? It needs new products AND a new image.

Kev
03-30-05, 07:47 PM
I like what some guy in New Jersey did. He owns a rather large manufacturing corporation. If you buy a Ford or General Motors new car or truck between April 15th and December 15, and submit to him a photocopy of a registration for it in your name, you will get a $1,000 Christmas bonus next Dec. 20th. Buyers of any other brands, get their usual bonus. It only includes Chevy, Pont. Buick, Caddy, Saturn, Ford, Mecury & Lincoln. No Volvo, Mazda, Isuzu, Subaru, Jaguar, Aston Martin nor Saab.
This applies only to his companies employees ~That's really cool! Unless.......no......what if the 'usual' bonus is $1,500-2,000?!!! :crying:

ben72227
03-31-05, 02:34 AM
you will get a $1,000 Christmas bonus next Dec. 20th. :histeric:

Typical. You can only sell GM cars these days with incentives. It's a shame really. Especially when Honda and Toyota can get away with selling them above sticker price.

Yeah, I wouldn't mind seeing one of the brands get axed. Preferably Buick, but unless Pontiac actually brings some excitement to the "excitement division" of GM, then i wouldn't mind them getting axed too; at least we wouldn't have to put up with that Aztek thing anymore:sneaky:

EDIT: Seems that they aren't going to axe a brand afterall; Lutz just had a slip-up:histeric:: http://fastlane.gmblogs.com/archives/2005/03/context_is_ever.html#more

Playdrv4me
03-31-05, 02:38 AM
Heh, I hear ya... In fairness, the Aztek is axed after 05'. Even though the Pontiac Vibe sells well, I cand stand it either, despite it being a Toyota.

Playdrv4me
03-31-05, 02:45 AM
:histeric:

EDIT: Seems that they aren't going to axe a brand afterall; Lutz just had a slip-up:histeric:: http://fastlane.gmblogs.com/archives/2005/03/context_is_ever.html#more

I dunno... I think sometimes you as the consumer have got to be smarter than the average bear, and to me some of this sounds like backtracking and painting pretty roses over a serious issue. I dont want to see any brands go, but im not going to be naieve enough to believe it wont happen.

drewsdeville
03-31-05, 11:54 AM
I side with many of the interviewed people in the article: I think that Buick should be the one to go...

For one, obviously, as proven, the manufaturer's sales are down significantly. And even with the introduction of the Lacrosse, I just don't feel it's enough. Buick's style doesn't attract the taste of today's average consumer at all (if you look at teh latest models, you see a more sporty trend). I don't quite agree with Pontiacs style either, however, it portrays a slightly sportier, lively image than the big bold Buick. Also, it seems Pontiacs variety in models is a little better. You can get many luxury features if you'd like in a compact, midsize or large car rather than buick who doesn't go below a midsize (I don't think). I think both in a way are worthy of going under, however, I feel Buick is the one to go...