: damn hicks..

adam_mcd
03-30-05, 05:09 PM
re: 79 coupe deville

ok...my drivers side door wasnt closing all the way, but my hinges, bushings and what not were all good. i went to this body shop that i knew of in a hicktown that did great jobs on all my friends' cars. in fact, they knew it wasnt the stock door. its a 78 door on a 79 deville. so after some hee-hawin' with it, we got the door to work great. for cheap too. BUT..they missed something. everytime i open the divers side door, none of the lights come on but the 2 near the floor, under the dash where your feet go (7 lights total come on). this only happens with the drivers side door, not the passenger. also, the doors wont lock with the door open. he said the car came like that, but bullshit, everytime i opened the door, i could lock it with it open..how else am i going to lock this luxury car? by actually lifting more than a finger to press down on the lock or use the key? he wouldnt believe me about this and i was just getting more pissed. didnt help that my alternator is just died and he just blamed the lights not working on that, even though its a new battery and the lights work fine with the other door open.. heres my question: how the hell do i go about fixing this myself. i asked my mechanic if he could do it, but he was kinda iffy about if he even knew how to (dont blame him). he did say that the wires that recognize the door being open arent connected. anyone wanna be a brutha and tell me where i could get a good manual if this involves more than just unscrewing a few screws and hookin up a few wires? i swear...sometimes hicks can be dumb. ("its just like a honda"... how dare you say that about my cadillac!)

ocjmakaveli
03-30-05, 07:52 PM
re: 79 coupe deville

ok...my drivers side door wasnt closing all the way, but my hinges, bushings and what not were all good. i went to this body shop that i knew of in a hicktown that did great jobs on all my friends' cars. in fact, they knew it wasnt the stock door. its a 78 door on a 79 deville. so after some hee-hawin' with it, we got the door to work great. for cheap too. BUT..they missed something. everytime i open the divers side door, none of the lights come on but the 2 near the floor, under the dash where your feet go (7 lights total come on). this only happens with the drivers side door, not the passenger. also, the doors wont lock with the door open. he said the car came like that, but bullshit, everytime i opened the door, i could lock it with it open..how else am i going to lock this luxury car? by actually lifting more than a finger to press down on the lock or use the key? he wouldnt believe me about this and i was just getting more pissed. didnt help that my alternator is just died and he just blamed the lights not working on that, even though its a new battery and the lights work fine with the other door open.. heres my question: how the hell do i go about fixing this myself. i asked my mechanic if he could do it, but he was kinda iffy about if he even knew how to (dont blame him). he did say that the wires that recognize the door being open arent connected. anyone wanna be a brutha and tell me where i could get a good manual if this involves more than just unscrewing a few screws and hookin up a few wires? i swear...sometimes hicks can be dumb. ("its just like a honda"... how dare you say that about my cadillac!)

Well I'm not sure on your particular model but are you completely sure that these 2 doors 78 and 79 are completely compatible? not just the looks of it.

Second hopefully they didn't disconnect anything or CUT any wires and they are still there to be reconnected it could be simple and you'd only have to remove the interior door trim and get in it that way so after you remove the trim look on the inside of the door for any loose or CUT wires if there are any reconnect them or let us know what you find.

It could also be if they are not compatible and the wires could not be reconnected then you'll have to live with it or put the correct door but hopefully someone can let us know if they are compatible.

lastly you say the door lock doesnt work if the door is open are you sure the key isn't in when you try to lock it with the door open?

on my suburban if i have the key in the car the driver door won't lock unless i pull out the key.

pretty much it for now let us know if you have any updates.

adam_mcd
03-31-05, 12:50 PM
well, all this stuff worked before the panel and wires were messed with...and how they fitted a 78 on a 79 door is beyond me. it barley fits. also has a lil temperature gauge that only came with 78-earlier. never seen one on a 79. im having my mechanic fix this as we speak. he had a 79 coupe once, which is nice to know.