: 1981 radio noise

bluecor
03-30-05, 04:18 PM
I have a 1981 cadillac seville.

The radio recently stopped playing and know i can hear the engine running through the radio.
The tapedeck works perfectly, no engine noise.
Anyone know what could be the cause, capacitors,resistors?

MWA
03-31-05, 10:44 PM
Come on audiophiles. Answer this man. He was on another section of the forum and I told him there were some sharp tech people on this site and that someone would know about radio interference suppressors or whatever is causing his radio/engine noise. What could it be and how can he put the fix on it? Any help or assistance would be appreciated. Please try to help us here. THX in advance.

Deville n J-ville
04-02-05, 03:05 PM
What happens you try and listen to FM? Is it just static, or just engine whine, or both?

D148L0
04-02-05, 03:50 PM
If you get at least static noise, the very first thing to do is to check the antenna wire connections. In my model there are two, one in the right side of the trunk and the one that goes into the head unit.
You wouldn' be the first one with a loose connection, and could even explain the engine noise...

bluecor
04-03-05, 01:40 PM
Hi thanks for your help guys.

The radio is making a whsssshh sound and i can hear the engine at the same time.

Your help is appreciated .

I will look into the antenna connection.

thanks

bluecor
04-03-05, 01:44 PM

D148L0
04-03-05, 02:01 PM
Don't forget to update us...

bluecor
04-04-05, 03:50 PM
I checked the connections and they all apear to be fine.

I don't know why it won't pick up any stations.

What could cause this?

morroccoz1
04-04-05, 05:20 PM
Believe this or not, I have had this happen out of the blue from a cracked rotor cap. The more I would accelerate, the faster the whine. I would hear it in both the tape and the radio. It was REAL prevalent when listening to AM or while the tape was playing. Are you getting any reception at all? You might also want to check plug wires/ rotor etc.

bluecor
04-05-05, 02:57 PM
I'm getting no reception at all on the radio, just noise.

maydog
04-05-05, 04:05 PM
Is this an old style radio with the mechanical radio buttons?

My best guess is that the button is not engaging properly.

STS 310
04-05-05, 06:24 PM
I had an 81 Eldo with the same problem. After checking out everything I could and a friend could think of, I finally replaced the HeadUnit. May not be what you wanted to hear, but I was perfectly happy with the results even if it meant changing aesthetics.

bluecor
04-08-05, 03:44 PM
yes it is the old styled radio with mechanical buttons,

When you say the "headunit", do you mean the tape pickup?

STS 310
04-08-05, 05:13 PM
Headunit implies the radio as a whole

The Ape Man
04-13-05, 01:58 PM
You can eliminate any ignition or alternator faults by simply checking the radio with the engine off. Flip the mode switch back and fourth betewwn AM and FM. If that does not work then it's time to pull the radio out enough to substitute a long piece of wire into the center pin of the antenna socket. The wire can be insulated except of course for the end but must be several feet long outside the car. This will eliminate the car's ant. as a cause of no reception. Also sometimes an oxidized antanna plug at the rear of the factory radio will allow only FM reception but no AM. The capacitance across the oxidized pin to socket is often enough to deliver some signal at FM broadcast frequencies but not AM.

bluecor
04-15-05, 03:24 PM
Hi, i have a few corrections to make.

The Am works fine,i'm getteing reception.
Theres no engine noise coming through anymore,
But the FM won't pick up.
The antenna connections are perfect and so is the antenna
I opened the radio today, and nothing appeared to be burn't.

Does Anyone know what i could do to get it to work?
Replace acapacitor or something?

Thankyou