: SeaFoam Opinions...

agood1
03-30-05, 03:01 PM
I searched and found where some people on this board have used SeaFoam but have not seen a specific post on using it in a N*.

I have used SeaFoam on many of my cars. Including BMW.

It worked great on the higher mileage cars...

Has anyone used it on a high mileage N*?

thanks

mcowden
03-30-05, 03:28 PM
In what way are you thinking of using it? The bottle pretty much says it will fix everything from dirty injectors to flat tires...

agood1
03-30-05, 03:46 PM
Are you thinking about Marvel Mystery Oil? SeaFoam is for intake and fuel system....I pour one can into the intake, I try to find a vacuum line that is at the beginning of the throttle body and let it suck the SeaFoam thru.....then I pour another can in the gas tank to clean the injectors.
Never tried it in my tires.....

mcowden
03-30-05, 04:17 PM
Sorry, man, I was just making a joke about the tires thing... The SeaFoam bottle lists a lot of stuff that it can do, I just threw in the kitchen sink for comedy value. People say good things about it, but I can't tell you for sure that it's great or terrible. Hopefully somebody who's used it in a high mileage car will respond to your question. I'm curious about the same thing.

dkozloski
03-30-05, 04:23 PM
Guaranteed not to rip, rot, rust, bust, pull apart at the seams, or run down at the heels. Good for coughs, colds and, sore holes; hacks, wheezes and venereal diseases.

Stoneage_Caddy
03-30-05, 04:31 PM
Guaranteed not to rip, rot, rust, bust, pull apart at the seams, or run down at the heels. Good for coughs, colds and, sore holes; hacks, wheezes and venereal diseases.
And makes a nice moose repellant .....LOL

BeelzeBob
03-30-05, 04:47 PM
And makes a nice moose repellant .....LOL

It works....ever see a moose around the SeaFoam rack in the parts store...???

Stoneage_Caddy
03-30-05, 04:51 PM
It works....ever see a moose around the SeaFoam rack in the parts store...???
Bbob ...gotaa hand it to you , your never wrong ...even when it comes to moose....LOL

dkozloski
03-30-05, 04:57 PM
As a matter of fact, I saw one just the other day by the NAPA store. If you do find something that works maybe I could use it to keep them out of the garden.

davesdeville
03-30-05, 05:24 PM
I picked up a can and ran about 1/3 through the brake booster line, shut it off and restarted 5 minutes later. It made a cloud of whitish smoke and was worth it just for the entertainment value of putting my neighbors house in a haze. I ran the rest through about an 1/8 tank of gas. I timed my 0-60 times twice before and after and picked up a tenth of a second but I'm not ready to actually give the seafoam the credit for doing it.

BeelzeBob
03-30-05, 07:03 PM
I picked up a can and ran about 1/3 through the brake booster line, shut it off and restarted 5 minutes later. It made a cloud of whitish smoke and was worth it just for the entertainment value of putting my neighbors house in a haze. I ran the rest through about an 1/8 tank of gas. I timed my 0-60 times twice before and after and picked up a tenth of a second but I'm not ready to actually give the seafoam the credit for doing it.

So...run 10 cans thru it and see if you gain a full second....LOL LOL

How does the name "sea foam" have any connection with an automotive application or an engine...???

Spyder
03-30-05, 07:58 PM
Bbob ...gotaa hand it to you , your never wrong ...even when it comes to moose....LOL

Shouldn't that be Meese? :-p

mcowden
03-30-05, 08:19 PM

How does the name "sea foam" have any connection with an automotive application or an engine...???

Geez, Bbobynski, don't you know anything??? It's called Sea Foam because that soapy salt water washes away all deposits in a jiffy. Duh!

A couple of weeks back, my extremely sexy 1994 Plymouth Grand Voyager conversion van cranked and cranked but wouldn't start. I scratched my head a little bit, pushed the thing into the garage, opened it up and found the crank position sensor wires shredded to bits. Next to that, the accelerator cable was shredded as well. Scratched my head some more, spliced the wire, van fired right up. I'm looking around in there a little closer and whaddya know? Rabbit crap on top of the transmission. So I gave 'er a little spritz of Sea Foam and all the rabbits went flying right out of it! (ok, that might not be exactly what happened) Then I took the van out for a test drive and wouldn'tcha know it... The moose scattered in front of me, the damned van runs an 11.2 quarter mile, and all the paint scratches were gone! What're we up to now? Intake cleaner, injector cleaner, moose repellent, Bunny-B-Gone, and finish restorer. If that wasn't enough, it also tastes great with chicken! :thumbsup:

Spyder
03-30-05, 09:41 PM
ooooooooooooooohhh... a 94 Grand Voyager...will you marry me???

dkozloski
03-30-05, 09:50 PM
Did it cure your athlete's foot?

Ranger
03-30-05, 10:36 PM
It also cures impotence.
"In the rare case that an erection lasts more than 4 hours, ADVERTISE"

mcowden
03-30-05, 10:42 PM
ooooooooooooooohhh... a 94 Grand Voyager...will you marry me???

Well, send me a pic first... Yep, with my sweet Vanny I get that a lot, even from people with whom marriage would be illegal in most states. I'll tell ya, that van turns the heads all right. I'm not sure if it's the oxidized maroon paint with the cracked and peeling conversion van striping (except on the driver door and front end which were replaced after an accident) or the humongous raised fiberglass roof or the missing headlight frame or the broken-off running boards or the wet dog stench seeping out of every crevice or the mood lighting in the back or the cracked varnish on the wood trim that's being held on with drywall screws or... wait! I know! It's the Sea Foam! Intake and injector cleaner, moose repellent, Bunny-B-Gone, finish restorer, tastes great with chicken, and now, APHRODISIAC!

Did it cure the athlete's foot? Well, I got a 20% discount at a Fairbanks auto parts store and I did lose a few pounds and gave up my crack habit, but I still have the athlete's foot. What were you expecting, a cure-all? I think the cold is getting to you, dkozloski... :bonkers:

BubbaBC
03-30-05, 10:47 PM
I see a lot of poking fun of this product from your question, but I used it in my 2000 Seville with 147000 for carbon knock and it did wonders. I had thought I had a bearing knock and figured I would give the Seafoam a try after reading about it on this forum. I found a vacume line and ran a can through it and then took it on the interstate and flogged the living hell out of it. To my surprise the cold engine knock has dissappeared and at warm idle there is no knocking noise. I was skeptical at first but now am a firm believer that it does work. Yes, The smoke was unbelievable at first but after running it hard it went away. I did notice a residue on the end of the exhaust pipes but figured it was from the carbon ? I used a Brillo pad to remove it and it hasn't come back. I don't think it is a cure all but in my situation it really worked. :thumbsup:

dkozloski
03-30-05, 10:58 PM
BubbaBC, I get the same results using Fairbanks tap water in a spray bottle. Give me your address and I'll sell you some.

BeelzeBob
03-30-05, 11:10 PM
I see a lot of poking fun of this product from your question, but I used it in my 2000 Seville with 147000 for carbon knock and it did wonders. I had thought I had a bearing knock and figured I would give the Seafoam a try after reading about it on this forum. I found a vacume line and ran a can through it and then took it on the interstate and flogged the living hell out of it. To my surprise the cold engine knock has dissappeared and at warm idle there is no knocking noise. I was skeptical at first but now am a firm believer that it does work. Yes, The smoke was unbelievable at first but after running it hard it went away. I did notice a residue on the end of the exhaust pipes but figured it was from the carbon ? I used a Brillo pad to remove it and it hasn't come back. I don't think it is a cure all but in my situation it really worked. :thumbsup:

Flogging it good was what cured the cold carbon rap.....the seafoam had nothing to do with it.

peteski
03-31-05, 03:45 AM
Flogging it good was what cured the cold carbon rap.....the seafoam had nothing to do with it.

I think that Bubba meant it toungue-in-cheek. It took me about 3 reads to actually get it!

Excellent posting Bubba! You even fooled Bbob! :thumbsup:

Peteski

95Concours
03-31-05, 04:36 PM
Lol................

Keep it up and you'll make the makers of this stuff start crying.

davesdeville
03-31-05, 05:36 PM

Back off, I didn't say it worked or was responsible for the shorter time. :rant2:

BeelzeBob
03-31-05, 11:40 PM
Back off, I didn't say it worked or was responsible for the shorter time. :rant2:

uh...sorry....it was a light hearted comment..i.e..a joke...did you not see the LOL LOL after the statement....???

mdogg1950
04-01-05, 12:04 AM
Sea Foam freed a stuck valve in my '49 Chevy. Sea Foam also makes one helluva penetrating oil called Deep Creep. I soaked the exhaust manifold/pipe flange on a '50 Chev with Deep Creep and removed the fasteners with just a box wrench. I'm a believer.

dkozloski
04-01-05, 12:09 AM
The ultimate in penetrating oils is "Mouse Milk". This is the product used on multi-million dollar turbine engines.

BeelzeBob
04-01-05, 12:50 AM
Nah...the best penetrating product is GM "heat riser lubricant" sold in a spray can at GM parts counters. It is amazing, also.

davesdeville
04-01-05, 12:53 AM
Sorry bbob, it's hard to tell if you're trying to laugh with me or at me over the internet.

Spyder
04-01-05, 04:18 AM
I like the good 'ol Weasel Piss penetrating oil...ie WD-40. Cheap and easy...I know there's better things out there, but I've been lucky enough to not run into anything where I need more than that. hehehe :)

dkozloski
04-01-05, 11:25 AM
WD-40 is for arthritis.

mcowden
04-01-05, 12:51 PM
In all seriousness, I typically use Sea Foam and an old toothbrush when I clean the throttle body. It does a darned good job with that. So it does seem to be a pretty good solvent for deposits, but since I've never looked at an intake or valves or rings after using it as an intake cleaner, I can't tell you whether or not that part works. I also don't know about using it as a ring carbon cleaner or a fuel injector cleaner. Maybe somebody could remove a dirty injector and try to clean it using Sea Foam and comment. I will admit I've put it in the tank before and run it through a vacuum line for the intake, but I didn't notice any difference whatsoever afterward. I've never put it in a crankcase before or used it with a diesel or 2-cycle. They claim it's an all-petroleum fuel stabilizer for storage, diesel anti-gelling agent, moisture remover, and cylinder fogger. You can order it for $6.99 a can at Midway Auto Supply with this URL:

http://www.midwayautosupply.com/searchby.asp?txtSearch=sea+foam&Search.x=0&Search.y=0

Somebody try it out and let us know. I don't have anything that needs cleaning right now so I can't really say.

Quadrasteer
04-02-05, 03:44 PM
I have (or have had) just about every carb/intake cleaner on the market. Seafoam by far was NOT the best. My new favorite is Valvoline's SynPower Carb Choke & Throttle Body Cleaner. One day I was cleaning a very dirty TB and just happened to have five different cleaners in spray cans. The SynPower was the best and the Gummout and 3M were also very good. The 3M foam was next and the Seafoam was the worst. Also, when using Seafoam on my snowmobile's power valves and engine ports it did very little of anything. Even though I don't use their synthetic oil because from what I read it's not a true synthetic, the other SynPower products (brake cleaner, brake fluid, spray lube etc.) are excellent.

youbetcha77
04-05-05, 11:00 PM
I have had it fix a lot of idling rough problems I have had on a bunch of different cars.

Blaze