: looking for the best tune?

Sick05V
08-29-13, 10:59 PM
hey guys im pretty new to the forums but ive picked up a nice 05 V thats basically stock other than a k&n intake and magnaflow mufflers. Im really interested in getting a tune for it but im very picky about my cars and i dont want something on the edge, im a very spirited driver i guess you could say, so i want something very safe. Im located in memphis tn and there really isnt a good tuning shop around here, we have dynospeed but im not letting them touch my car. Also are there any good hand held tuners like a diablo for these cars or is dyno tuning really the best way to go, im used to my cobras this is alot different lol thanks in advanced guys.

joshuajohn1981
08-30-13, 04:33 AM
I don't know all that much about tunes and I know for a fact that a dyno tune is the way to go but I suggest you take a look at Wait4Me tunes. I did some research on them and saw nothing but good reviews.

I believe you let them know what mods you have and they will tune an ECU and send it to you to swap out. You also get to keep you stock ECU in case you wanted to do something with it.

Just a thought which might work out if you run out of options.

Naf
08-30-13, 04:54 AM
Get two tunes, one for all out race, and one for the street where its not too crazy. Get them done on a dyno, and plz dont do mail in tunes. I am across the pond and tried them with little to no success. Fly in a tuner and get her done the right way

rand49er
08-30-13, 07:37 AM
In the absence of a local shop, do the Wait4Me tune (if he's still doing them). It'll work just fine.

Junior1
08-30-13, 09:44 AM
IMO for common bolt-ons the Diablo will work just fine. Easily removed for dealer visits and handheld code reader as well.
Unless you start swapping heads/cam or doing extensive mods its an easy way to go...

ronr
08-30-13, 10:54 AM
In the absence of a local shop, do the Wait4Me tune (if he's still doing them). It'll work just fine.

I would second Wait4Me. I've got a StealthV tune which is fantastic but Rick (StealthV) isn't doing them any more. He recommended Wait4Me to me originally.

Sick05V
08-30-13, 01:33 PM
Hey guys thanks for the suggestions, its funny you mention the wait4me tune cuz Ive also read a bunch of reviews about them and it was really good and pretty cheap! Has anyone been able to compare a wait4me tune with a diablo tune? Im not gonna do heads or cam, atleast not for a pretty long time im wanting to finish my cobra first.

carlson_mn
08-30-13, 02:34 PM
I have headers, exhaust and have a mail-order tune from Jesse (wait4me). I purchased the car with the headers/exhaust no tune and it ran great too. For the price that he will tune your ECU it is worth it for the skipshift delete, rear oxygen sensors removed and better engine temp management involving the fan settings. Overall I would say that the car seems to run a bit smoother and has better throttle response with his tune but it's tough to notice. I recommend a dyno visit afterwards if you can find one for $60 or so to check the AF ratio on WOT runs.

BigDaddy-V
08-30-13, 05:15 PM
I have a diablo tuner for mine and only have bolt ons at the moment. If you were to get one of those then I used a guy on their boards called Diablew and he did a custom tune through that with datalogs and info about the car! It worked great and I have loved the results! Something to look at given your location. I would gladly answer any questions for you about it!

BDV

AAIIIC
08-30-13, 08:36 PM
I recommend a dyno visit afterwards if you can find one for $60 or so to check the AF ratio on WOT runs.
I concur. I found the mail-order wait4me tune was pretty much garbage on mine, so I went back to the stock ECU.

http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums/2004-2007-cadillac-cts-v-performance/207427-dyno-results-stock-ecu-vs-w4m.html

Sick05V
08-31-13, 01:25 AM
Seems to be alot of mixed reviews on tunes in general for these cars, thanks bigdaddyv Im probably just going to take it to wait4me since he doesn't very experienced with these cars and there in ohio so it's not crazy far from me I dont mind the drive to get it fully dyno tuned

PISNUOFF
08-31-13, 10:02 AM
^^^^^ Best choice out of everything said above. Take it to a dyno or have someone tune it with scan logs.

rand49er
08-31-13, 11:21 AM
I concur. I found the mail-order wait4me tune was pretty much garbage on mine, so I went back to the stock ECU.

http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums/2004-2007-cadillac-cts-v-performance/207427-dyno-results-stock-ecu-vs-w4m.htmlI saw those graphs. Looked like nothing more than test-to-test variability and no change in the tune. Jesse knows how to tune whatsoever unless the changes were all part throttle transition stuff and WOT spark and A/F were left untouched.