: Changing the water pump "Belt?

lonleyboy54
08-29-13, 07:28 PM
What do I need to do to change the water pump "belt" on a 98 DeVille, Northstar? It looks to me like I have to take the water pump, "and the housing off? Is there an easier way, "just" to change the "belt"?? Please help!

Submariner409
08-29-13, 07:53 PM
Look in Cadillac Tech Tips and in my albums - simple job. Click my username, open the profile, left column, 2 albums, 6 pages of Northstar stuff - yours is earlier, but the water pump drive is the same.

Remove the water pump belt drive shroud - two 10mm nuts, a 10mm bolt. Use either an adjustable wrench on the tensioner arm lug cast into the arm or a 1/4" drive socket tip in the square hole in the tensioner arm - lever the arm so as to remove tension, slip the belt off the pulley. It will be MUCH easier if you remove the tensioner assembly, too - the two long studs that held the first two nuts. If that tensioner pulley is not slippery-viscous-smooth and quiet, change it, too.

ternstes
08-29-13, 07:54 PM
No, just remove the tensioner. 10mm deep socket for the bolts after removing the belt guard. Use a 13 mm wrench on the tensioner pulley bolt to rotate it up to release tension and remove/reinstall the new belt.

N*Caddy
08-29-13, 11:41 PM
Yeha is a very simple solution, turn the belt on a side to get it out of the WP pulley, can't be more simple.