: Key stuck in ignition.... how to remove?

Night Wolf
03-30-05, 12:44 AM
I bought new "A" and "B" keys off ebay... uncut etc... and had them cut....

since i got them cut, the ignition key was always a little stiff to put in, but it was fine...

but at the junkyard last week, I put the key in, and it gets stuck half way....not wanting to get stranded there, I force the key all the way in, then the cylinder is really hard to turn... but i need to get home... so I force it, it is real hard to turn, but i get the enigne started...

by now, the cylinder turns pretty easy, but when starting the enigne, I gotta manually pull it back from "start" or the starter will stay engauged...

I tried shooting PB Blaster and using plyers (with a rag of course) to get the key out... but nothing... I don't know if the pins are bent or what...

The only thing i can think of, I have to remove the steering wheel, the lock plate... all that BS and replace the lock cylinder with one form the junkyard....

but is there anything I can do to get the key out? right now it is the only car I can drive (alternator in the '93 quit) and leaving the key in the ignition isn't appealing to me... atleast i live in a low-crime country town... and I have a rag I throw over the steering column.... and i still lock the doors etc...

I should have went to a lock smith to get the key cut instead of True Valve (hard ware store) I think that it wasn't cut right or something.... but now the key is stuck in there....

dkozloski
03-30-05, 01:35 AM
A lot of cars you can get the lock cylinder and all, out with a straightened out paper clip. If there is a littile hole in the cylinder alongside the key, you turn the cylinder CCW as far as it will go, poke the paper clip in the hole a depress a little plunger, turn the key a little more to the left and withdraw the whole works. Good Luck!

ocjmakaveli
03-30-05, 02:02 AM
Well first what car is the one that has the ignition messed up?

I am not quite sure which car your talking about.

Second of all I'll tell you the same thing I told my dad once his ignition broke and it was always able to go to the on position with or without the key.

"If someone wants to steal your car they will do so with or without the key. Not having a key in the ignition will not minimize the proabability of the theft of your car. No one else will know that it can be turned on without a key."

Basics work for you too having a rag over it will do fine and if someone has an eye on it they will just tow it anyways and avoid any theft problems.

If you want to fix it then just do it the right way. Don't use too much oil because you might mess up something electronic in the steering column.

Don't force the key out because it might break causing the car NOT to start which is worse at the moment.

Never force your car in anyway I really think the hardware store was liable for making a bad key but you should have noticed it wasn't a good key the first time you started your car.

Good luck and if you car is similar to my 94 fleet brougham then I post the instructions in my FSM on how to fix it.

btw you probably don't have to replace it with a junkyard one a locksmith can fix it most likely by reopening it and replacing the pins etc.

turbojimmy
03-30-05, 05:23 AM
You're going to need to replace that cylinder, which means taking the wheel and lockplate out - I think. You should be good at that by now!

On my '01 you just take the clamshell trim off and stick a pointy object (like a straightened paper clip mentioned above) in a hole and the cylinder comes right out.

Jim

DopeStar 156
03-30-05, 11:07 AM
Wow that sucks dude. A couple times the key got stuck in my 99 Malibu and I pulled it out and the ignition was stuck between OFF and RUN so the lights, radio, and all electronic stuff was still running and I was able to turn the car over with my fingernail. I think you might be past this and have prolly broken something internally but I just wait and the ignition on my Malibu will pop back into place. Maybe the key will come out tomorrow?

brougham
03-30-05, 02:37 PM
Why don't you just bring it to a shop and get them to deal with it? They've probably dealt with problems like that before and know how to fix it without wrecking anything else. I don't think it costs too much to get the ignition lock changed but just call and ask them first.

Night Wolf
03-30-05, 03:16 PM
it is the 1979 DeVille.....

well, I know if a thief wants a car bad enough, there are many ways to steal it... but as it is right now, the key is *in* the ignition... it is very obvious....

it sucks... I just bought these NOS keys off ebay too....

I was thinking about breaking the square part of the key off, that way it isn't obvious... but i don't want to ruin my new key...

I can't see taking it to a shop, where there are literally a dozen or so GM's that use the same lock cylinder at the junkyard... with keys..... so I can do it myself... and I have the stuff also, when tightening the column on my Oldsmobile, I had the cylinder out... for a day I was starting the car with a screw driver.

At the moment, I am very hesisitant to do much of anything, as the '79 is my only car I can safely drive around... the Olds is still in the body shop, and the alternator on the '93 is on its way out, so the whole electrical system is weak, and sometimes it will not start...

I really don't want to pull everything out of the column though.... this is a major PITA....

as it is now the only mechanical problem is that i have to manually bring the key back from "start" so some times the starter stays enguaged a little too long..... but I am getting better at it (turn it back too far and it shuts the engine down)

the origanal keys and the 2nd set I made up worked fine, just this key was tight fitting...

this isn't cool also, becuase that means the origanal keys to the car will no longer work if I change the cylinder.

I guess I am going to have to change the cylinder one time or another.... which I don't like becuase last time i broke the horn ring on my Oldsmobile, I stripped the bolts to remove the steering wheel, and can't find ones to replace it, and for whatever reason, I did something so that the steering wheel does not "lock" anymore....

what happens if I give 1 last try to yank the key out with plyers?

slk230mb
03-30-05, 03:47 PM
You could get the key stuck half in/half out. If you do replace the cylinder, just have a locksmith change the pins to the keys you have many of.

davesdeville
03-30-05, 05:08 PM
I really don't want to pull everything out of the column though.... this is a major PITA....

Yes it is. If you have a telescoping wheel it's even worse, or at least it was for me, the loaner tool from autozone to compress the lock plate spring wouldn't work with the telescoping wheel so I had to put a board across the windows of my car and use a jack to compress it. New key cyls are cheap from parts stores like autozone for these cars since they're universal GM so I'd go that route.

ocjmakaveli
03-30-05, 07:17 PM
it is the 1979 DeVille.....

well, I know if a thief wants a car bad enough, there are many ways to steal it... but as it is right now, the key is *in* the ignition... it is very obvious....

it sucks... I just bought these NOS keys off ebay too....

I was thinking about breaking the square part of the key off, that way it isn't obvious... but i don't want to ruin my new key...

I can't see taking it to a shop, where there are literally a dozen or so GM's that use the same lock cylinder at the junkyard... with keys..... so I can do it myself... and I have the stuff also, when tightening the column on my Oldsmobile, I had the cylinder out... for a day I was starting the car with a screw driver.

At the moment, I am very hesisitant to do much of anything, as the '79 is my only car I can safely drive around... the Olds is still in the body shop, and the alternator on the '93 is on its way out, so the whole electrical system is weak, and sometimes it will not start...

as it is now the only mechanical problem is that i have to manually bring the key back from "start" so some times the starter stays enguaged a little too long..... but I am getting better at it (turn it back too far and it shuts the engine down)

the origanal keys and the 2nd set I made up worked fine, just this key was tight fitting...

this isn't cool also, becuase that means the origanal keys to the car will no longer work if I change the cylinder.

I guess I am going to have to change the cylinder one time or another.... which I don't like becuase last time i broke the horn ring on my Oldsmobile, I stripped the bolts to remove the steering wheel, and can't find ones to replace it, and for whatever reason, I did something so that the steering wheel does not "lock" anymore....

what happens if I give 1 last try to yank the key out with plyers?

Do not yank the key out for the love of GOodNESS please don't!!!!

ok now that's out of the way if you are able to remove the cylinder you can have it repinned and they make it work with whatever key you have by opening it and repinning it etc.

you should most likely use the same one and have it reconditioned because a junkyard one is most likely worn out etc.

good luck

Night Wolf
03-30-05, 11:39 PM
here is what is strange...

when the key is in the "ON" posistion, the key jiggles around and feels free....

when I turn it to lock... well, while turning it to lock... there is a little "click" and the key moves slightly... and it is no longer freely moving, it seems to be held in tightly......

My Olds does not have telescope wheel... nor air bag, so it was, I guess on the easy side..... the '79 has the telescope wheel... it is really that more difficult?

ugh... this sucks... I am about to just leave the damn thing in there....

davesdeville
03-31-05, 05:24 PM
The telescoping wheel was a PITA to put back together because of that stupid loaner tool from autozone. The problem was that it pulls on the thing that telescopes to compress the plate and spring and instead it just telescoped out :banghead: Perhaps a differant tool would be able to do it, otherwise the board and a jack method will work. If you're really strong you might be able to compress it yourself but it will be a 2 person job since someone else will have to put the clip in place to hold it.

Night Wolf
04-02-05, 10:13 PM
wll, my father was like, leave the car here (by him) and I'll try to fix it....

he got the key out..... but did what I told him not to do....

he got plyers and went back and fourth with the key until it came out... he said each time he did it, it came out a little more....

So now the key goes in, but the pins don't move, and you can not turn the cylinder... so the car is stuck in fornt of his shop..... why he did that, I don't know... and it sucks...

my key is fine though.... but now I need to see what to do about the cylinder....

Night Wolf
04-06-05, 12:59 PM
well, the steering wheel came off all that good stuff...

brought the cylinder to a local locksmith... he said it isn't worth it to fix it... actually, it can't be fixed, a new one would have to be re-pinned for my old key

but for $20 he had brand new OEM lock cylinders.... with GM keys.... so I did that....

the origanal ignition key was "A" the new one is "E".... The thing I don't like is... I have the *origanal* keys to the car... but the ignition no longer works.... eh... maybe some time in the future I can get it pinned up so that it works... it really isn't an issue though.

So while that was apart everything was lubed up, turn signal lever is almost quiet now.... car starts, key can be removed.... everything works great...

I'd say it was worth the $20....

never go to a True Value or hardware store to get yours keys cut... go to a lock smith.... what was really bad was, I just spent like $15 after shipping on these NOS Cadillac A and B keys.... now it is ruined... and I can't use my other keys (or origanal) anymore....

but it works :)

FASSTWOOD
04-06-05, 01:34 PM
I'm thinking you might of gotten the wrong blank. Your local autoparts store can get you an ignition lock cylinder for $20.00 or so. Instead of buying who knows what from the junkyard...

Night Wolf
04-06-05, 09:38 PM
the key blanks were OEM NOS Cadillac A and B keys.... the hardware store cut them wrong....

I bought a brand new cylinder at a locksmith in town for $20... GM OEM etc....