: Vintage Race Cars

Stoneage_Caddy
03-23-05, 01:26 PM
R5 SHOGUN and all thouse other pint size cars ....discuss ....

(split from the "who dies next thread" mar29 2005

RobertCTS
03-29-05, 01:56 PM
Maybe we should throw a party and invite Renault & Buick ??
Do you remember when Renault & AMC inked a deal and AMC dealers
were selling the Renault Encore & Alliance & the Fuego ? Then came
an American-ized edition of LeCar ? Interesting it all was to see a Jeep
sharing the showroom floor with LeCar.

I think I remember the LeCar. As I recall they had a turbocharged version that was often raced on sport car tracks.

Stoneage_Caddy
03-29-05, 02:01 PM
There is such a thing known as "Protectionism" ~ which I am sure most of you are against. Basiclly in theory, I too am against it. However, the country where the domestic competition hails from, is NOT against it. When we first tried to sell our domestics over there, they flopped. They said that theu were too big. We sent smaller cars. They said the lighting laws were different and our lights needed to be changed. We conformed. The cars didn't sell. They said they only wanted right hand drive cars, we specially made right hand drive cars, they didn't sell. Then we found out why! One reason was that you cannot own a car without first owning a parking space. YOU PURCHASE a parking space, and YOU own it. Parking spaces are available only to owners of Japanese cars. Once you own your parking space, you are free to make your next car American, or whatever....but your 1st car has to be Japanese! Okay...now next item. Beginning in about their 5th grade, children are taught over & over & over that what's good for Japan is good for you. (Smart people)! So, children are indoctrinated into buying homeland products as the correct thing to do. They grow up under this and understanding this way-of-life. Now...."We" go over with our product and want to set up a dealership of American cars. We are told "NO" you cannot do that. We will allow your American cars in OUR dealerships! So, you have a few Pontiacs and/or Buicks in the Toyota dealership. Well guess what? Bonus's are paid to salespersonal to move the homeland product, so again our products limp along. At every possible fork in the road, the Japanese government favors the domestic product, and ours comes up as the also-ran, trying to be sold under a dark cloud. It's just not socially "correct" to patronize any product that does not come from a homeland company.
Yet, with 6 million sales annually of imports in America (most from Japan) - with our own Chrysler Corporation being sold off as waste to a German Corporation, Ford's Mercury & Lincoln divisions struggling, GM's all 5 divisions struggling, the loss of Oldsmobile and Plymouth, the fact that Toyota was granted 25 years free land taxes on their plants, built upon our soil for the purpose of beating any import quotas under the disguise of giving jobs to Americans (like they care !!) still you are against our government doing anything to save our domestic automobile industry.
Yes, our Automobile industry has been under attack, under a plan of action, controlled by a foreign nation for 25 years. In the beginning it was a joke to us. Round about 1995 the joke was on us. Now, the joke is no longer a joke. It's the overtaking of our #1 industry.
You want a depression? If our lazy politically correct government does not step in & support OUR industry, even if only for a short run, we are gonna lose our automobile industry, and THAT is THE bottom line. Toyota & Honda would be only to glad to swoop in & "assist" GM with $$$$ and product for a controlling interest of say 60% with a buy-out down the road.
Something has to be done to aid & assist GM! Killing product is NOT the thing to do, as it sends the wrong message to potential buyers. "Gosh, they killed Olds and now ___?____ maybe I better buy a Nissan cause if I buy a ___?___ they might kill that off next." is what customers are gonna think. :eek:
I never knew this .....
I wasnt loyal to domestics till i read that .....

D148L0
03-29-05, 02:05 PM
I think I remember the LeCar. As I recall they had a turbocharged version that was often raced on sport car tracks.
There was a turbo version of the R-18 (available in Europe only).
To this day, I'd kill to have one. Every now and then I do a search for it...

D148L0
03-29-05, 02:06 PM
Maybe we should throw a party and invite Renault & Buick ??
Do you remember when Renault & AMC inked a deal and AMC dealers
were selling the Renault Encore & Alliance & the Fuego ? Then came
an American-ized edition of LeCar ? Interesting it all was to see a Jeep
sharing the showroom floor with LeCar.
Le Party!! :thumbsup:

RobertCTS
03-29-05, 02:22 PM

FLASHBACK!! Yes, the R-18. It had bulging fender flairs and did very well in it's class!!:yup:

kmhebert
03-29-05, 02:26 PM
CNN has an article on this issue:
http://money.cnn.com/2005/03/29/Autos/buick_pontiac_future/index.htm?cnn=yes
I can't imagine either brand going, myself. Both are truly classic American brands. But then again, so was Oldsmobile. In the end a brand is just a name, but there is a lot of emotional attachment customers get to their favorite brands. I guess we'll have to wait and see how this plays out.

Katshot
03-29-05, 02:37 PM
FLASHBACK!! Yes, the R-18. It had bulging fender flairs and did very well in it's class!!:yup:

Ahh.....
If you want one, here's one for sale. Sure doesn't look like your description though. :rolleyes2

RobertCTS
03-29-05, 02:43 PM
Just got back from a google search. It was the Renault R-5 Turbe that was in my memory banks. Awesome!! Note the air intakes in front of the rear wheels to feed that turbo and while you're there check out the tires:bouncy:

Katshot
03-29-05, 02:57 PM
Now THAT I remember. I WAS a hot car! I was just going to tell you that I found a guy willing to part with his R-18 Turbo for $1300. :D

Here's a link to the article that goes with the picture of the Turbo 2 you posted. Great article actually.
http://www.sportcompactcarweb.com/features/0308scc_renault/

Stoneage_Caddy
03-29-05, 02:59 PM
Far more fun and gobs more torque :
The Shogun (tarus SHO engine in the back of a festiva)
http://www.kurtmetros.com/onelap/106-0619_IMG.JPG
http://www.shotimes.com/php-bin/pics/SHOgun001/SHOgun1-1.jpg

RobertCTS
03-29-05, 03:02 PM

D148lLO,
KadKat found a R-18 for sale but don't know if it's a turbo. At that price I'd say no.

RobertCTS
03-29-05, 03:08 PM
http://www.kurtmetros.com/onelap/106-0619_IMG.JPG
http://www.shotimes.com/php-bin/pics/SHOgun001/SHOgun1-1.jpg

Wow!!!! I'm impressed. I'd love to see that car run a lap!:bouncy:

Katshot
03-29-05, 03:11 PM
D148lLO,
KadKat found a R-18 for sale but don't know if it's a turbo. At that price I'd say no.

Yes, it was a turbo. The guy wanted 1000 EUR which is just under $1300 (today).

Katshot
03-29-05, 03:13 PM

Not sure about that. The Turbo 1 versions in race trim were getting 1200HP from a 1.5 liter engine!!!!!!!!

D148L0
03-29-05, 03:15 PM
An R-18 turbo for 1300? SOLD!
Where?

Stoneage_Caddy
03-29-05, 03:16 PM
Not sure about that. The Turbo I versions in race trim were getting 1200HP from a 1.5 liter engine!!!!!!!!
Street Legal ?

Hey would you guys mind if i split this off the "who dies next"

I wanna continue on this tangent without teeing someone off. always liked these cars

if yall want to keep it here its cool too , lemme know ....

RobertCTS
03-29-05, 03:17 PM
Not sure about that. The Turbo 1 versions in race trim were getting 1200HP from a 1.5 liter engine!!!!!!!!

ARE WE TALKING ABOUT THE R-5, R-18 OR THE SHOGUN AT 1200hp?

D148L0
03-29-05, 03:19 PM
Here is one (not sure if it's a turbo)

RobertCTS
Street Legal ?
Hey would you guys mind if i split this off the "who dies next"
I wanna continue on this tangent without teeing someone off. always liked these cars
if yall want to keep it here its cool too , lemme know ....

YEAH, FUN STUFF BUT :Offtopic: MAYBE WE COULD MOVE ON TO THE OLD AUSTIN COOPERS!!:yup:

Katshot
ROFL!!!

This COULD be yours for $1300
http://www.auto-evasion.com/occasion-auto/achat_rubrique.php?lien_http=%2Fpa%2Frecherche%2Fr echerche_formulaire.asp%3FACTION%3DRECHERCHER%26CA T%3D403%26ma%3DRenault%26NACMARQUE%3DRenault%26NAC MODELE%3DR18%26cati%3D403%26mo%3DR18%26TCKID%3DAFF 3473%26NBCVERSION%3DPHP2%26

RobertCTS
03-29-05, 03:22 PM
This COULD be yours for $1300

kADkAT
THis guy is drooling. where can he get the $1300 R-18?
D148L0 (http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums/member.php?u=8274) http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums/images/statusicon/user_online.gif vbmenu_register("postmenu_287143", true);
The Iconoclast
http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums/images/ranks/supporting_moderator.gif

Katshot
03-29-05, 03:25 PM
ARE WE TALKING ABOUT THE R-5, R-18 OR THE SHOGUN AT 1200hp?

The R5. Read the article, it explains it.

Katshot
03-29-05, 03:27 PM
YEAH, FUN STUFF BUT :Offtopic: MAYBE WE COULD MOVE ON TO THE OLD AUSTIN COOPERS!!:yup:

No way! They SUCK!!

RobertCTS
03-29-05, 03:33 PM
We got carried away and off topic about the decay of GM.
But an interesting topic started to develop on Vintage race cars.
We talked about the Renault R-18, R-5 and I present the Austin Mini Cooper!
I use to watch them at Mid-Ohio Sports Car Track.

Stoneage_Caddy
03-29-05, 03:34 PM
So the 4 door thing is a relative of the R5 ?

Stoneage_Caddy
03-29-05, 03:35 PM
We got carried away and off topic about the decay of GM.
But an interesting topic started to develop on Vintage race cars.
We talked about the Renault R-18, R-5 and I present the Austin Mini Cooper!
I use to watch them at Mid-Ohio Sports Car Track.
Yup i used to watch them little buggers at road atlanta for the SCCA runoffs years ago ..great fun .....

RobertCTS
03-29-05, 03:41 PM
Yup i used to watch them little buggers at road atlanta for the SCCA runoffs years ago ..great fun .....
Mid-Ohio is a road course and those things would come up over a hill and corner and the rear wheel would lift completely off the track! The new BMW Version of the Austin Cooper is a sham in comparison IMO.

Stoneage_Caddy
03-29-05, 03:45 PM
Mid-Ohio is a road course and those things would come up over a hill and corner and the rear wheel would lift completely off the track! The new BMW Version of the Austin Cooper is a sham in comparison IMO.
they still look like a hoot but your right , they are no mini ..Still looking for a clean panelvan version to toss a Nissan SR20DET engine in ....i figure 220hp would move it nicely ...

RobertCTS
03-29-05, 03:51 PM
No way! They SUCK!!

Watch your mouth:rant2: My mother has one!!:annoyed:

Katshot
03-29-05, 03:51 PM
they still look like a hoot but your right , they are no mini ..Still looking for a clean panelvan version to toss a Nissan SR20DET engine in ....i figure 220hp would move it nicely ...

Now you sound like my son. I was getting so sick of hearing about SR20DET this and that. He used to be into Nissan heavy.

Stoneage_Caddy
03-29-05, 03:53 PM
so was i ...i just have a huge ammount of DET parts leftover from the G20 that never got used or sold (no one wants a turbo kit anymore)

RobertCTS
So the 4 door thing is a relative of the R5 ?

StoneAge,
You got 24 posts already!

Katshot
Watch your mouth:rant2: My mother has one!!:annoyed:

Sorry dude! I just REALLY HATE the Mini, old version OR new ones. I've never been a fan of European sports cars I guess.

Stoneage_Caddy
03-29-05, 03:55 PM
StoneAge,
You got 24 posts already!
I cheated i stole them from the thread this all started in .....LOL

Im gonna steal your vintage car one too ....mwahahahaha....well really heheh ....in the sake of organization tho ....

Stoneage_Caddy
03-29-05, 03:56 PM
I kept your title tho ...hehehe

RobertCTS
03-29-05, 04:02 PM
Sorry dude! I just REALLY HATE the Mini, old version OR new ones. I've never been a fan of European sports cars I guess.

Europe was the mother of sports cars though.

RobertCTS
03-29-05, 04:04 PM

Hey it's not a Nissan van but it'll get the groceries quicker. Got a Hemi in the bed:lildevil:

D148L0
03-29-05, 04:22 PM
No way! They SUCK!!
Oh no, they don't!
Those little things are amazing... have you seen videos of the old monte carlo rallies? :coolgleam

Kev
03-29-05, 04:24 PM
I got your vintage racer;

http://www.campbellriversales.com/vintcar3/1909%20Ford%20Model%20T%20race%20car-fVl=mx=.jpg

1909 Ford Model T

Kev
03-30-05, 01:52 AM
OK, what happened? No more racers?

danbuc
03-30-05, 02:03 AM
What about the old BMW 2002's. I've been looking for one in good condition, to fix up, and turn into a nice little track car. I don't have the time or money though. My dad used to have an old 1600 back in the day, that he said handled like it was on rails. They hardly weigh anything, and have a very wide stance. With those 4 speed tranny's, you could really have alot of fun. Damnit, now I want one even more. :( .

Katshot
03-30-05, 05:39 AM
Ick, Yuk, Blah! You can keep your Triumphs, MGs, Sunbeams, Fiats, Etc., Etc.
Can't stand any of them. Back in the 60's it was "cool" to have one of those loads but I NEVER, EVER even THOUGHT of buying one. They were SLOW, TINY, and EXTREMELY POORLY MADE. For my money, I'd rather have a VW Bug.

danbuc
03-30-05, 10:55 AM
Who said anything about Triumphs, MGs, Sunbeams, or Fiats? It wasn't me, I said BMW. The 2002's aren't slow, or tiny, or poorly made. They are an excelletn car, with lot's of racing potential. The Sunbeam Tiger was a nice car, so was the Triumph Spitfire. I don't really care for MG's, or Fiat's either. Just out of curiosity, have you ever driven a Triumph, or an MG, or a Sunbeam? (I left Fiat out, 'cause I don't like them). They are an absolute blast to drive. While they may not be the fastest cars out on the road, they handle better than most car's do today. My friend's 1976 Triumph TR6, get moving in a reall hurry. Before you know it, your already doing 60mph.