: caprice vs Seville sts

RollinJo
03-29-05, 07:50 PM
Hi guy's this is my first topic here on the site.Im a owner of chevrolet caprice 1994 police pack whit a LT1 engine 4l60e trans and g80 limited-slip differential.I was thinking about buying a cadillac seville sts 1996 ,do you have any good advise to give me ? it is a good switch? what about the performance of the sts whit the 4.6l nortstar vs the caprice whit the 5.7l LT1? what about electric trouble on a sts look like a lot of cable under the hood???:hmm:

blb
03-29-05, 09:16 PM
As a former owner of both LT1 Caprices and STSs, from my experience I would encourage you to keep the Caprice. Although the STS is probably a little quicker, the Caprice is much less likely to need repairs, any repairs will likely be much less expensive on the Caprice, and the parts will generally be less expensive for the Caprice. Except for the Opti-Spark issues on the Caprice (which can be taken care of), it should be a much more reliable vehicle than the Caddy. Browse the threads on this site and you will see the common Northstar problems you can expect....ie: oil leaks, headgasket problems, electrical gremlins, etc.

Randy_W
03-29-05, 09:51 PM
I own both an LT1 and a Northstar Seville, niether one has ever been a problem, period. They are totally different animals, though. Though both are fastest when shifted at 6000 rpm, The Impala SS is like a sledge hammer while the N* is like a sword, smooth and slick. I have 94000 miles on the Caddy, never had to add oil between changes, which are done per the monitor. No electrical issues, ever, no head gasket issues ever. My family has had a total of 5 N* Cadillacs with a total of over 800,000 miles and none of these issues has ever arisen. I have had to clean the egr valve on Mom's car and mine. Mom's DeVille has 156k on it now, still has the original spark plugs and still starts as good as new and gets 25+mpg on the highway. We did put plug wires on at 125,000. I have never had Opti Spark problems with my LT1, but it is a vented '96 unit and they are less of a problem. Many people do have trouble with them, especially the early un-vented ones. My LT1 is in my '67 Impala Super Sport and has over 70k now. Both are great engines, both will give you 200,000 mile service with very little effort if properly serviced.
Don't let the naysayers scare you off, if you like the Caddy, have a good tech check it out, make sure it had proper maintanence and enjoy it for many years to come!:coolgleam

BeelzeBob
03-29-05, 09:57 PM
If the STS was maintained properly, it shouldn't be too problematic. There are plenty of Northstar owners here who've never had any of the typical problems. They happen - but not always.. Yes, the Seville will be more expensive to maintain, but it's a nicer car and more luxurious - and will certainly turn more heads. It's a bit of a tradeoff... Inexpensive reliability, or some more issues with a hotter car..

BeelzeBob
03-29-05, 09:59 PM
I own both an LT1 and a Northstar Seville, niether one has ever been a problem, period. They are totally different animals, though. Though both are fastest when shifted at 6000 rpm, The Impala SS is like a sledge hammer while the N* is like a sword, smooth and slick. I have 94000 miles on the Caddy, never had to add oil between changes, which are done per the monitor. No electrical issues, ever, no head gasket issues ever. My family has had a total of 5 N* Cadillacs with a total of over 800,000 miles and none of these issues has ever arisen. I have had to clean the egr valve on Mom's car and mine. Mom's DeVille has 156k on it now, still has the original spark plugs and still starts as good as new and gets 25+mpg on the highway. We did put plug wires on at 125,000. I have never had Opti Spark problems with my LT1, but it is a vented '96 unit and they are less of a problem. Many people do have trouble with them, especially the early un-vented ones. My LT1 is in my '67 Impala Super Sport and has over 70k now. Both are great engines, both will give you 200,000 mile service with very little effort if properly serviced.
Don't let the naysayers scare you off, if you like the Caddy, have a good tech check it out, make sure it had proper maintanence and enjoy it for many years to come!:coolgleam
Great post!

Randy_W
03-29-05, 10:11 PM
Thanks Sal!:D

Go to this site and click current pics to see some good under hood shots of the '67 if you're interested. http://mywebpages.comcast.net/toppop52/
The second row pics show the finished product.

RollinJo
03-29-05, 11:13 PM
thank's guy's for your reply,hope to find more info on the site.When you said more expensive to maintain ,what do you mean ,like what the difference in $$$ for a tipycal tune up :spark plug ,wire ,belt ,"optispark" or cap and rotor if you prefere????
And for the switch it's like a cyclone in my head right now,im just a shipper in a little shop,so !!!But i really like the look of the seville whit 17" impalla stock mags!So i hope you will be able to put my mind in the right direction.

mcowden
03-29-05, 11:58 PM
If you do the tuneup yourself on the STS, it'll cost you about $180-$200 to use the recommended AC-Delco plugs and wires. Who cares? They should last you for a long time. Change the coolant every 5 years/100k miles and use the supplement. You'll be just fine. Buy the Caddy.