: T.V in steering wheel

stephen j s
03-29-05, 06:04 PM
I want to put a t.v in my steering wheel of my 91 eldo in doing so i need to take the air bag out. But will i be able to do so? i want to keep the cadillac air bag housing and reamove the airbag by cutting the area that the t.v would be in out. is thir a way i can seporate the air bag itself from the airbag housing? ----------------thanks steve.

JC316
03-29-05, 11:58 PM
I didn't think the 91 eldo came with an airbag. I could be wrong, but my question is, why the HELL would you want a TV in the steering wheel?!?! I have nearly been run over several times by a guy on a cell phone. I can only imagine the accidents happening if people were watching TV. But nontheless if you want a TV thats your buisness. I think you can just pull some screws out of the back of it and pull it loose, if not you might be able to just break it out. Good luck, I think. :cookoo: :D

ja killz
03-30-05, 06:50 AM
I agree. personally I wouldn'y waste my money on that, Spend it on something more useless. If you want to stay in the same entertainment, go with a navigation. Or buy some nice parts to keep the car running smoothly. That is going to be wicked dangerous even if you think "I won't stare at it while driving." Thats what causes accidents the most is people reaching for the phone or changing the radio ext. And if your planning on just watching it at a stop light or waiting for the car to warm up then like JC316 said, :cookoo:

stephen j s
03-31-05, 06:45 PM
:lildevil: guns dont kill people...........people kill people!:lildevil:

RealmCenter
04-02-05, 03:23 PM
:cookoo: !

JDelorean_srx
04-02-05, 05:11 PM
Remember guys - it is a 91, it's problably sitting on cinder blocks out back behind the double wide :eek:

stephen j s
04-02-05, 06:10 PM
listen theres no trailers in boston u must be thinkin of your dream home somewhere down south in hickville.:lildevil: ..........oh and by the way Mr 03 corvette my old mans 80 z28 with a 383stroker dynoed at 472 hp would smoke ya like you were standing still in 3rd gear...:want:

RealmCenter
04-02-05, 06:29 PM
..........oh and by the way Mr 03 corvette my old mans 80 z28 with a 383stroker dynoed at 472 hp would smoke ya like you were standing still in 3rd gear...
Is it in primer grey and does it have Holly Equipped and Flowmaster stickers on it? Time to bust out the Ted Nugent cassettes, throw on the denim jacket, light up a Marlboro red and take this puppy out on the road! :D

D148L0
04-02-05, 06:47 PM
Come on, people... I know the "tv in steering wheel" is a terrible idea (I won't help anybody to do anything of that sort), but give the guy a break...

stephen j s
04-02-05, 07:02 PM
no but its blue and in chevyHp mag. nuff said :tsucks:

STS 310
04-05-05, 05:21 PM
Damn, regardless of everyones opinion, it was just a thread on something custom. (Not that I approve)

Maybe some posts on the unsafe aspects of such an application. But dont start getting ugly and posting things that shouldnt be posted.

ETC Guy
04-07-05, 10:03 PM
I know I'm going to hate myself for doing this............
http://www.trafficjams.com/New_Installs/jimmys/wpe5.jpg

RealmCenter
04-09-05, 10:11 AM
I hope that's a photoshop!

Fritzi
04-10-05, 01:29 AM
I think it's a pimp idea.

First off, you'll want to check your owner's manual for find out you airbag situtation. Afterwards, I would go get a quote from a local audio shop. Besides having to deal with a possible airbag, it isn't going to be as easy as a headrest screen. The fabric/leather is going to be harder to work with, and you may have to strictly mold the screen in. Attempt it if you want, but I know of people who do all thier own installs , yet they have all taken thier cars into shops to do steering wheels screens.

Good luck, and show me pics when you are done.

powerglide
04-10-05, 03:01 PM
whew, this thread took a mean turn there for a minute.....anyways.

I think it'll be very hard to see the tv if its there in the wheel (although this doesnt stop people from adding tv's in all kinda hard top use places)

You gotta use some kinda ring-contact switch to keep the wiring from getting tangled as you turn the wheel....finally I think it looks pretty lame (just my opinion though)

Not mention, if you get pulled over and a cop sees that......

Gotta admit, I have been toying with idea of installing a popup screen on the top of the dash where the center speaker goes.....but I just don't want my car to develop that hacked up look.

Good luck with your decision.

Fritzi
04-10-05, 10:51 PM
I am pretty sure Stephan is not planning on watching the tv while driving. Probably for show, while chillin in the car, eating in the car........for other people to say "damn man ..............that's nice." I mean, I have headrest screens and I have never had anyone in the back to watch them. And visor screens, they aren't at a position for me to watch, but it's slighty fun to have anyways.

jadz
04-11-05, 12:15 PM
I recently took the airbag out of my 92 STS in order to upgrade to a 2004 steering wheel with all the buttons and such. The major issue that I see you having is going to be how you run the video and power cables to the TV. have you looked into this yet?

There are other posts on how to take out the airbag, just be really careful while doing it.

stephen j s
04-11-05, 07:36 PM
yes i did, thats perhaps the reason why i came up with such an idea. you see i had gotten my car stolden any had to change my ignition and had everything a part and thought that i could run the wires down inside the shaft with no problem, and 4 the fact that boston trafic sux and is bumper to bumper 1/2 the time on the way to work. -It would fit perfict in the steering wheel. So instead of steering at the sabb in front of me, i could b steering at the weather girls tits :)

powerglide
04-11-05, 08:41 PM
I am pretty sure Stephan is not planning on watching the tv while driving.

....sounds like its gonna be DWWWT (drivin while watchin weathergirls tits)!

WinnipegCadillac
04-11-05, 10:04 PM
Instead of staring at the anatomy of the local meterologist, maybe Barney, or some other educational programming would be in order! Sorry, the spelling had to be commented on!

Aside from that, good luck. I offer you the advice my friend gave me, when
referring to the TV in his truck.

"Don't watch new releases, they are too distracting! Stick to the movies you have seen."

Good luck!

stephen j s
04-12-05, 12:06 AM
:yawn: nice one about the spelling, but opinions are like *******s everyones got one and most of them sink! :)

ETC Guy
04-12-05, 11:34 AM
nope, not photoshop. Actual photo from a custom shop in South Carolina.

Dude, go your own way.....thats what custom is all about. But be safe, if your tit watching in bumper to bumper your going to crinkle the front end in somebody's trunk. Install a ignition override switch.

Fritzi
04-12-05, 04:36 PM
....sounds like its gonna be DWWWT (drivin while watchin weathergirls tits)!

well I tried to give him the benefit of the doubt.............guess I was wrong

DJ Kontakt
04-21-05, 02:32 PM
.... but my question is, why the HELL would you want a TV in the steering wheel?!?!

Simple. Its so when you get in an accident from watching the TV while you are driving, you get LCD glass embedded in your eyes and face, instead of an annoying and painful airbag.

Gibbz
04-21-05, 08:27 PM
It's not a bad concept if you're using the car as a show car only. I only say this cause in some states; maybe all, to remove an air bag from any car is considered illegal cause it violates some safety standard that goes w/ the concept of the air bag. Hey it's your car do whatever floats ya boat.