: Oil in spark plug chamber, How Bad Is This?

Eldorado_RED
03-29-05, 12:00 PM
Hey guys how are you doing. Well first off, my car is believed to have a small leak in the head gaskets, but I have been managing to drive it to and from work for the past 3 months, on coolant and bars leak. But while checking the spark plugs today, I noticed some oil at the bottom of the chamber, the first chamber had no oil. The second chamber had a lil trace, but the last two had some oil at the bottom. Can anyone tell me how bad this is and how long I got b4 my baby craps out on me. Do I have to get another engine. Thanks in advance. Have a great day.

Spyder
03-29-05, 12:39 PM
Dude, a little oil on an eight year old car is nothign to worry about...unless its gushing out or blowing blue smoke out the exhaust...I'm on my second northstar, both over 80,000 miles, and there's a little bit of oil in some of the holes when I pulled the plugs on both...don't worry about it unless it turns into a problem! Is it burning or leaking or using more than the 'ol 1 qt every 1000 miles? If not, then you're good to go!

zonie77
03-29-05, 12:49 PM
That is just an oil leak, if you do the head gaskets you will fix this leak at the same time.

BeelzeBob
03-29-05, 02:27 PM
Are you talking about oil down in the spark plug wells as you look in at the plug from the cam cover...????

If so, that is absolutely nothing to worry about. The cam cover seal around the spark plug well is just seeping oil into the well. This is just not anything at all to worry about. Oil splashing around inside the cam cover is weeping past the seal and into the spark plug well. If there is ever a need to take the cam covers off then I would fix it but it isn't even worth taking the cam covers off for and means absolutely nothing. The oil will only build up a tiny bit before it runs back into the cam cover when the engine is shut off so it will never ever get any worse.

This oil has nothing at all to do with the head gasket or any other problem. It is the cam cover seal/o-ring, not the head gasket that is leaking oil into that area.

Eldorado_RED
03-29-05, 02:41 PM
Thanks alot for the help spyder, zonie, and bbobynski. That took a lil load off my chest. Now im hoping this baby wont blow up as the weather is heating up in atlanta.

Quick question, it seems that i have to constantly add coolant and water every day or two, yet i have neva had a low coolant level reading. Can someone explain this. I dont want to press my luck and see if i get this reading and risk the car overheating witout any coolant left. Once again thanks alot

BeelzeBob
03-29-05, 02:48 PM
How full are you filling the surge tank...??? If the low coolant message is not appearing then maybe it is not low on coolant.... If you keep filling the surge tank to the top it will just push the excess coolant overboard thru the overflow hose and it will be lost.

Check the surge tank when the system is cold in the morning and the coolant level should be 1.5 to 2 inches from the cap fitting. Leave it alone if it is there and monitor it. Maybe you are just overfilling and the lower level you see is the result of the coolant being pushed overboard when the engine is hot and lost.

There is plenty of warning if the system is low before it overheats or anything. The low coolant warning is in the surge tank and will warn you before the level is low enough for the engine to even notice in terms of cooling capacity.

Eldorado_RED
03-29-05, 02:59 PM
Well Mr. Bbobynski, everytime i check the coolant level its at the bottom and looks kinda like a lil puddle, i must admit i may have overfilled it a couple times. But it takes about half a gallon (when cold) to make it reach the 1.5, 2 inch point where it should be. Now i find myself driving wit the heat on full blast in stop and go traffic in order to slow down the overheating until i can get on the expressway. But at times, more often, since its gettin hotter, i find the temperature increasing even on the expressway, which just been happening recently, i think its due to the weather but its always been reliable on the highway. Until then im still looking for a cadillac mechanic in ga that's reasonable. Once again thanks sir.

BeelzeBob
03-29-05, 03:15 PM
Well Mr. Bbobynski, everytime i check the coolant level its at the bottom and looks kinda like a lil puddle, i must admit i may have overfilled it a couple times. But it takes about half a gallon (when cold) to make it reach the 1.5, 2 inch point where it should be. Now i find myself driving wit the heat on full blast in stop and go traffic in order to slow down the overheating until i can get on the expressway. But at times, more often, since its gettin hotter, i find the temperature increasing even on the expressway, which just been happening recently, i think its due to the weather but its always been reliable on the highway. Until then im still looking for a cadillac mechanic in ga that's reasonable. Once again thanks sir.

Yea...you may be right if it is eating coolant like that....just wanted to make sure you weren't over filling.