: Uhh... is that a Delco in my Bentley or you just happy to see me?

Playdrv4me
03-29-05, 12:40 AM
Well... Is it?
http://i8.ebayimg.com/02/i/03/ab/ec/8c_12_sb.JPG

Please tell me that is NOT a Delco radio in this 1987 Bentley Mulsanne... :p

danbuc
03-29-05, 01:00 AM
Yes, yes it is. Part # 16127076. Here's a link to a site that sells reman. radios http://www.mnrelectronics.com/pa16deamca1.html

Hard to belive you would find a Delco radio in a Bentley. :hmm:

Stoneage_Caddy
03-29-05, 01:09 AM
at one time they had hydramatic trannys from GM too ...i should know i used to work on them ....those engines were a thing of beauty

but so do BMWs ....no one escapes the wrath of GM !!!!!

Vesicant
03-29-05, 01:16 AM
Wasnt it also because of the statement that GM has some of the most reliable, smoothest transmissions in the world? Which is why they were chosen.

Stoneage_Caddy
03-29-05, 01:18 AM
Wasnt it also because of the statement that GM has some of the most reliable, smoothest transmissions in the world? Which is why they were chosen.
yup ...damn good trannys ...i swear by them (outside the transverse front drive units)

Night Wolf
03-29-05, 01:38 AM
but on the TH400, isn't it made to have excessive slip from the factory so that it shifts smooth? which in turn kills them sooner then normal?

but that sure is a nice Bentley....

Stoneage_Caddy
03-29-05, 01:52 AM
but on the TH400, isn't it made to have excessive slip from the factory so that it shifts smooth? which in turn kills them sooner then normal?

well.....in a way .....heat created fromt he slippage if memory serves was a bigger problem ...also if memory serves they had a nice size tranny cooling setup ...

Remeber the Bently and Rolls Royce cars were known to be bulletproof cars , thats part of what they are .....even the rear diff setup is incredible ...the old solid rear axel cars had what looked like a rear axel "case" that was at least 4 diffrent peices of cast iron ...

You havent really understodd what these are about untill youve gotten dirty working on one ....very interesting stuff ...

Playdrv4me
03-29-05, 01:58 AM

Ya, I was lookin around at them on Ebay. Was lookin at one maybe my bro could buy since he wants an older eighties car that is something special. They are starting around 10-25k. The mid eighties ones are very very much like the late nineties models except for the tails.

turbojimmy
03-29-05, 07:18 AM
That looks like the "Concert II" radio you got in the GN in 1987. I have one in my basement but the tape player doesn't work.

It looks awful in that car. They couldn't find someone to at least make a burled wood faceplate? Sheesh.

Jim

90Brougham350
03-29-05, 11:09 AM

I thought it was all part of the rivalry between Ford and GM, GM thought smoother, hotter shifts were more desirable and Ford thought quick, but more felt shifts were better which is why they used different trans fluid......maybe someone can elaborate more on this.

Brian

D148L0
03-29-05, 12:27 PM
Great headline, submitter! (golf clap)

Ooops, wrong forum. (one cookie to the one who knows what I'm talking about)
/Still, great headline... :D

Kev
03-29-05, 12:38 PM
Great headline, submitter! (golf clap)

Ooops, wrong forum. (one cookie to the one who knows what I'm talking about)
/Still, great headline... :DWhat kinda cookie?

JimHare
03-30-05, 05:40 PM
Remember the Bentley and Rolls Royce cars were known to be bulletproof cars , thats part of what they are .....even the rear diff setup is incredible ...the old solid rear axel cars had what looked like a rear axel "case" that was at least 4 diffrent peices of cast iron ...

You havent really understodd what these are about untill youve gotten dirty working on one ....very interesting stuff ...

T.E. Lawrence had a fleet of slightly armored R/Rs during his desert campaigns in Arabia during WWI - from what I understand, they went everywhere, did everything, and ran forever. On sand, no less.

Sir Henry Royce was an engineer of uncanny ability and genius, from what I've read. Common practice in those days was to run a new model back and forth across Great Britain for a couple hundred thousand miles, then tear it down to the component parts and check for wear. Any part that had "worn" enough to be measured with a caliper or micrometer was re-engineered or replaced.

Unless I'm mistaken, an original RR Silver Ghost from around 1907 or so is still on the road, in virtually as-built mechanical condition and around half a million miles on it's clock....

Kev
03-30-05, 05:49 PM
Unless I'm mistaken, an original RR Silver Ghost from around 1907 or so is still on the road, in virtually as-built mechanical condition and around half a million miles on it's clock....No doubt worth two or three times that in dollars too.
Good story Jim.

Jesda
03-30-05, 10:00 PM
I dunno about awful. I mean, its got those big silver knobs and silver buttons which sort of look Bentley retro, dont ya think?

danbuc
03-31-05, 01:44 AM
Rolls Royce has the 1907 Silver Ghost insured by Lloyds of London I believe for approximately $40 million. It is in completely original condition. No restoration done what so ever. It's been to Pebble Beach once or twice, and makes it's way over to other shows too.