: For V2 Caliper Upgrade - Pads/Lines Recommendations?

FuzzyLogic
08-27-13, 06:07 AM
After futzing around with the stock brakes, I finally bit the bullet and have begun to order:

Girodisc or Coleman 2-piece front rotors (I looked at the 370x34mm RB rotors, but +8.6% surface area is not worth 2x cost)
Silver V2 front calipers and new rear calipers
Hard Brakes' 1.0mm titanium shims

These two things are still bugging me:

I only have experience with the OEM Ferodo HT1000 and Hawk HP+ pads. My goal is to find a pad that is similar to the Hawk HP+ in noise, but with more initial bite, and with brake dust that doesn't turn into granite on my wheels. For me, the brake could produce as much dust as the surface of the moon, so long as I can easily remove it. Right now, I'm favoring the RacingBrake ET800, but I'm open to suggestions. Not interested in any Carbotech products or the Ferodo DS2500.

I already have the Goodrich kit, but I still have a soft pedal despite replacing my master cylinder and going to my local Cadillac dealership to have them run a Tech 2 ABS solenoid purge. As I recall, Luke @ Lindsay is selling a kit, RacingBrake has a kit, and Agency Power has a kit. Do you recommend that I stick with what I have, or jump ship?

Any advice you could provide would be greatly appreciated!

Junior1
08-27-13, 10:33 AM
I've been running the UUC lines from Luke without a problem for a while. I'm pretty sure they are now branded as Girodisc as are the 2 piece rotors. I'm also running Motul fluid
Padwise its still up in the air hence the reason I've still got stock calipers. Pat has been tracking his V2 setup so he'll probably chime in...

RyRidesMotoX
08-27-13, 10:51 AM
Fuzzy- what fluid are you running? That could be responsible for some of that squishy pedal.

FuzzyLogic
08-27-13, 11:10 AM
Fuzzy- what fluid are you running? That is probably responsible for most of that squishy pedal.

ATE Super Blue DOT 4.

The problem started when I installed the Goodrich lines. I accidentally let the reservoir run dry, which was my bad, but after bench bleeding the original master twice, taking the car in to a GM dealership to cycle the ABS solenoids, buying a new master, an on-the-car bench bleeder kit, a Motive Power Bleeder, valved speed bleeders for all four corners, and still having 25% pedal, I'm not sure what else to point at. It's either me or the lines.

By the way, Junior, I heard that Coleman will fabricate custom rotor hats and rings. Ever thought about having them design a 370x34mm hat? I might call for a quote. Apparently their prices are pretty reasonable. The hard part is getting all of the measurements when I don't have all the parts. Given the discussion in that other brake thread, I would definitely want to get the wheel stud holes in the hats drilled to be super tight for ARP 100-7708 bolts.

RyRidesMotoX
08-27-13, 12:32 PM
ATE Super Blue DOT 4.

The problem started when I installed the Goodrich lines. I accidentally let the reservoir run dry, which was my bad, but after bench bleeding the original master twice, taking the car in to a GM dealership to cycle the ABS solenoids, buying a new master, an on-the-car bench bleeder kit, a Motive Power Bleeder, valved speed bleeders for all four corners, and still having 25% pedal, I'm not sure what else to point at. It's either me or the lines.

Weird... Water in the line somewhere maybe? Hell I don't know. You covered pretty much everything except for changing the calipers and pads

Junior1
08-27-13, 12:42 PM
By the way, Junior, I heard that Coleman will fabricate custom rotor hats and rings. Ever thought about having them design a 370x34mm hat? I might call for a quote. Apparently their prices are pretty reasonable. The hard part is getting all of the measurements when I don't have all the parts. Given the discussion in that other brake thread, I would definitely want to get the wheel stud holes in the hats drilled to be super tight for ARP 100-7708 bolts.

Yep. Bill (yooper) had the hats already done to mate up with a set of Coleman rings. You can basically call Bob at PerformanceAFX and order the hats ready to go for either V1 or V2 sizes.
Maybe having the hats done to mate up with say Brembo/AP/StopTech rings would be worth a try. The problem yooper had was with the rings themselves falling apart in the V2 size. The Coleman's in the V1 sizing seems to hold up better.

FuzzyLogic
08-27-13, 01:40 PM
Who designed the rings that were falling apart?

Junior1
08-27-13, 03:11 PM
Who designed the rings that were falling apart?

They were Coleman rings that were V2 sizing. Apparently they weren't up to handling the weight and cracked on yooper.

http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums/attachments/2009-2013-cadillac-cts-v-performance/93710d1340294031-gm-2-piece-front-rotors-09-dsc_0337.jpg

FoD
08-27-13, 03:56 PM
What would the pricing look like to have V2 rings mated with the Coleman rings that fit our V's? How much less than RB?

FuzzyLogic
08-27-13, 03:59 PM
They were Coleman rings that were V2 sizing. Apparently they weren't up to handling the weight and cracked on yooper.

http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums/attachments/2009-2013-cadillac-cts-v-performance/93710d1340294031-gm-2-piece-front-rotors-09-dsc_0337.jpg

Any idea whether the ring pictured was 32 or 34mm thick? Increasing rotor diameter without a corresponding increase in thickness will almost certainly result in thermal stress cracking.

Also, what brand rings do you recommend as a template for a price quote on new/revised 370mm rotor hats?

Junior1
08-27-13, 04:45 PM
I don't recall the thickness they went with but pretty sure it was out of the Coleman catalog. After the failure yooper and Bob spoke with Coleman about that application. I ended up going with the AFX hats and used the stock sized Coleman rings in order to have a full floater setup and rear two piece. Yooper sold his car so nobody else really followed up.
I'm pretty sure Bob can make the hats to work with whatever rings. Then its just a matter of finding one in that size thats cost effective and works for you.

AP Racing makes a 36mm in 370
Brembo makes 370's in 32/35mm
Alcon makes them in 34mm

Jeff James
08-27-13, 08:39 PM
Your brake line manufacturer shouldn't make ANY difference unless you have a leak. Try the gravity bleed procedure and then bleed bottles or have a friend help. Vacuum bleeders usually Suck (LOL) and don't do the job as they move the fluid too fast thru the system causing cavitation AND air. As far as the Rotors are concerned I have looked and the Coleman pieces are usually pretty damn good but maybe not thick enough surfaces for that diameter. I got bad news for anyone that thinks their rotors won't crack no matter how much you pay for them, the only question is how soon?

Naf
08-28-13, 01:44 AM
You have air in your brake system...

Try bleedin with abs to get rid of any air in the abs module, then pressurize and bleed at the calipers...

I this problem on my tahoe when i swapped calipers.

Its an easy fix, just takes a bit more time