: Sagging front springs on one side only?

ocjmakaveli
03-28-05, 10:06 PM
I noticed that my left front wheel well looks lower than my right side about 2 inches difference.

I was wondering if anyone else has had unusual sagging springs? I would think they would sag similar to one another.

I have stock fleet springs I'm thinking about replacing them with new springs.

It did come to mind that since the driver side usually has extra weight then this is why the front left might be sagging more but the difference is very noticeable about 2" difference.

N0DIH
03-28-05, 10:12 PM
Did you have a sway bar link replaced lately?

either way, ensure that they are both intact and both are the same (spacer between the bushings the same height). Been there, fought with that. All sway bar link kits should always be replaced in pairs. If one goes, the other is right behind it, and the chance of getting a cheapie autozone replacement that isn't the factory dimension is too great....

This will cause a lean that you can never fix with springs.

Also, blown shocks can cause a lean too.

Tom

ocjmakaveli
03-29-05, 02:43 AM
Did you have a sway bar link replaced lately?

either way, ensure that they are both intact and both are the same (spacer between the bushings the same height). Been there, fought with that. All sway bar link kits should always be replaced in pairs. If one goes, the other is right behind it, and the chance of getting a cheapie autozone replacement that isn't the factory dimension is too great....

This will cause a lean that you can never fix with springs.

Also, blown shocks can cause a lean too.

Tom

I replaced both endlinks with a similar height about 1/2" difference i believe but i don't know if this is the cause of that but i replaced the endlinks last year and only now noticed the lowered height on the left side.

I have the load carrier shocks and I'll check them out to see if the left one is blown.

N0DIH
03-29-05, 09:40 AM
Take a close look at the springs too, if one is stacked up, likely something happened to it, possibly broken. I have seen some 30+ year old springs collapse, but not 10-15 year old springs. But you never know.

Or look for an air line to one pinched, if it was broken likely the compressor would run and run. But if the left line was pinched, it would pump up the right and not the left. That is hard plastic line to the compressors, so I doubt it. Or maybe if it touched the exhaust and welded it closed.

Or body to frame bushings on one side shot? (likely only in the case of up to 1 in at most lean)

Just other ideas.

ocjmakaveli
03-29-05, 10:13 AM
thanks the front shocks are just regular coil over gas shocks.

The Ape Man
03-29-05, 10:20 AM
Coil springs commonly sag unevenly. I need to replace a pair myself. Left side is higher than right side here. In my case it is the rear springs which are worn out.
Make sure that you weigh the benifits and drawbacks of replacing your springs with anything other than stock springs. Cargo coils and others can really screw up your Cadillac's ride. Why drive a boat if it rides like a truck? You can get away with stiffer springs up front and the ride will not suffer but it is a real pain to have to install/remove/re-install while cutting the ends off to get proper ride height. If you expect to be replacing the front springs soon then put some WD-40 or brake fluid on the upper shock nuts now.