: Remanufactured Northstar Engine

97d'elegance
03-28-05, 09:28 PM
After verification from (2) different Cadillac dealerships and (1) independent shop I have the dreaded blown headgaskets. Both dealerships quoted the same price for the repair which is around $3,500.00. The catch is that they both say it is quite likely the block is cracked as well. I know from reading enough on here that this in not probable but that is what they are saying and that I should plan to spend at least $5,500.00 if this is the case. I have been doing extensive research and found a company that claims to remanufacture Northstars and will sell me one for $3,800.00 including shipping roundtrip (includes theirs to me and then mine back to them). I also have to add a $400.00 core charge until they receive mine back. Their warranty is 36month/unlimited mileage. This is still a LOT of money to me but well worth it if I can get a reman engine that will last. I still have to find a reputable shop to remove/install the old/new engine for a reasonable price. My two questions are #1, how many hours does it take to remove/install a Northstar engine and #2, does this reman sound like a good idea? I want some sort of guideline to know if a shop really does know what they are doing when installing one of these engines. I really do like my car (obviously or I would not be getting ready to shell out close to $5,500.00 for engine and labor) and want to keep it indefinitely and make certain the shop does a good job with the install. Thanks for the advice and hopefully before too long I won't be overheating anymore and can start driving it like I use to again ... WOT!!!

BeelzeBob
03-28-05, 10:32 PM
Who re-mans the engine and what all do they claim to do to it.

outlaw1369
03-29-05, 12:59 PM
Had my block timeserted. Was 16 hrs total. Subtract 4 for the time it took to timesert and I would say 10-12 hrs to remove and replace engine. Your replacement will probably take longer due to the accessories, sensors, pulleys, etc... that will need to be removed from the old engine and put on to the new. I believe most shops can look the total time up using all-data or similar reference materials.

Spyder
03-29-05, 01:37 PM
I'm not sure what rate they were going to charge, but all three shops out here in Yuba City, California wanted between 18 and 2000 to r&r mine. It would have been 14-15 if all the accessories didn't have to be swapped, and 2000 if it was just a long block that needed sensors, alternator, water pump etc etc etc swapped from old to new. Good luck!

danbuc
03-29-05, 01:47 PM
2000 hours seems like a lot though doesn't it? I mean, at an average labor rate of like $68/per hr, that's about $136,000. Are you sure you didn't mean 20?..hehe. Just kidding :D .

Uhh, disregard my last post above. I thought you were talking about hours, and not $1800-$2000. Hehe..nevermind.

97d'elegance
03-29-05, 02:08 PM
This is taken directly from the company's website.

The Remanufactured Engine
The Reman Engine consists of a process that takes the engine from its basic parts to a complete assembly.
The "Core"
The starting point, known as the "core", is a used engine that has been replaced due to failure or wear. This "core" is dismantled to its smallest component. These parts are cleaned and thoroughly inspected for wear and damage. Each re-useable part is machined to original manufacturer tolerances. Throughout the process, the parts are continuously inspected for hidden damage and removed from the process if tolerances are not maintained. Parts such as pistons, rings, and bearings, bushings, timing components, and oil pumps, are replaced with the highest quality new parts available.

Warranty & Pricing

Our Nationwide Warranty is 3 years/unlimited miles, and offers parts and labor reimbursement in the unlikely event of failure. We will be glad to send you copies of our warranties to help you with your decision.

chevyorange
03-29-05, 02:38 PM
Do you have a link?

Adam

BeelzeBob
03-29-05, 03:23 PM
This is taken directly from the companie's website.

The Remanufactured Engine
The Reman Engine consists of a process that takes the engine from its basic parts to a complete assembly.
The "Core"
The starting point, known as the "core", is a used engine that has been replaced due to failure or wear. This "core" is dismantled to its smallest component. These parts are cleaned and thoroughly inspected for wear and damage. Each re-useable part is machined to original manufacturer tolerances. Throughout the process, the parts are continuously inspected for hidden damage and removed from the process if tolerances are not maintained. Parts such as pistons, rings, and bearings, bushings, timing components, and oil pumps, are replaced with the highest quality new parts available.

Warranty & Pricing

Our Nationwide Warranty is 3 years/unlimited miles, and offers parts and labor reimbursement in the unlikely event of failure. We will be glad to send you copies of our warranties to help you with your decision.

.........uhhhh.........soooo.......what company....????

97d'elegance
03-29-05, 04:32 PM
Oh yeah ... sorry .. doing too many things at once. I'm at work right now and supposedly working ...

Go to www.engine-transmission.com (http://www.engine-transmission.com). I spoke with them yesterday and got all the info I posted earlier. He said the particular engine was reman'd by Recon and it will be ready in about 2 weeks.

97d'elegance
03-30-05, 05:20 PM
Did anyone get a chance to research this? Any opinions yet? ...

BeelzeBob
03-30-05, 05:39 PM
I don't have any personal experience with Recon so I can't help you....sorry.

cacmanjr
03-30-05, 08:58 PM
I bought a brand new in the crate N* off of ebay for $3300.00 delivered to my house. The R&R is about 20 hours for a long block. Then you have incidentals like oil & filter, thermostat, coolant, belts, hoses etc. Total job for me was about $5500. If you shop around, you can find them.